Finding Leaks in an Air Mattress

I have an air mattress and have got patches, but how do I find the leak?

By Leona from Lawrenceville, GA

Blow up air mattress, put it bathtub filled with water. Push sections of the air mattress under water, and when you see bubbling, you will be able to locate the leak.

In the old days when tires had tubes and one had to find a small pin whole in the tube the mechanic would wet the tube with a mixture of soap and water. The soap made the pin hole easier to see as the soap would bubble up where the hole was.

To add to the conversation, I use a permanent marker to write the date on the bottom of air mattresses, along with "OK" in "OK on 3-3-11, to let me know when I last checked for leaks. when a mattress can no longer be repaired (or, if I have no way to patch), I write "leaks" in big letters; then, I use the mattress as a floor pad under a good air mattress.

My advice is similar to Foxrun41's. Make a small basin of soapy water. Wipe it over your air matress and look for bubbles. When you see them, mark the spot with a pen or marker. Dry the air matress thoroughly and patch where you marked. Best to you!

Woman pumping up air mattress in the woods
Finding Leaks in an Air Mattress
Home and Garden Repair OtherMarch 13, 2011
A/C Heater Vent
Ford F150 Air Conditioner Blowing Hot Air
Repairing an Air Mattress
Repairing an Air Mattress
Air Ionizer and Purifier for Allergies
Improving Indoor Air Quality
Mattress Cover
Repairing A Plastic Mattress Cover