Finding Leaks in an Air Mattress

This page is about finding leaks in an air mattress. It can be challenge to determine where the holes are, when an air mattress deflates itself.

I have found a leak all around the built in motor on my air mattress. Is there anyway to fix it or should I just buy a new one?

By Daniel G from Cathedral City, CA

Answers

Best Answer

My friend Bill bought something from Amazon.com, called Coghlan's 8880 Airstop, and said it fixed his air mattress very well. It's a thick liquid that plugs the hole and dries quickly. It only cost about $5-6. Maybe that would work for your air mattress.

Frank
Best Answer

I had the same issue and was able to solve it. To confirm the leaking I sprayed soapy water around the pump casing (as my mattress didn't have any puncture) after it was completely full and then I turned the pump's inlet-outlet knob counterclockwise to release the air and noticed the bubbles around the casing.

Now, to open the pump's casing, I had in my model 4 rounds circles (one in each corners) and those are pins. Use a flat screw driver carefully around the casing to remove it (there is nothing you can break by removing this but you don't want to mess it up anyways). The problem of the leaking is from inside the mattress, when you turn the knob counterclockwise it pushes a spring pin to release the air, otherwise it will use the same air pressure to inflate.

So, because the problem is inside the air mattress I decided not to touch that part but to put sealant around the casing,pins, and the switch (you can remove the switch too the same way you do for the casing. I waited 1 hour and tested and it is leak free. Just run more soapy water to find any leaking and put sealant (i.e. silicone) as needed.

Hope this helps.

I have a Coleman airbed with built in pump. How do I find a leak and patch it?

By Sharon

Answers

Best Answer

It's the same method as a bicycle tube... fill the air mattress with air. Spread a thin layer of liquid soap all over the mattress. Immerse the mattress in water. Press down on the mattress and watch for the bubbles coming through the soap. You can just immerse it in water, but I found the soap made it easier to find the leak. I put the mattress into a kiddie pool full of water... worked really well. I found the hole in just a few minutes.

I have an air mattress and have got patches, but how do I find the leak?

By leona from Lawrenceville, GA

Answers

Blow up air mattress, put it bathtub filled with water. Push sections of the air mattress under water, and when you see bubbling, you will be able to locate the leak.

In the old days when tires had tubes and one had to find a small pin whole in the tube the mechanic would wet the tube with a mixture of soap and water. The soap made the pin hole easier to see as the soap would bubble up where the hole was.

To add to the conversation, I use a permanent marker to write the date on the bottom of air mattresses, along with "OK"...as in "OK on 3-3-11, to let me know when I last checked for leaks. when a mattress can no longer be repaired (or, if I have no way to patch), I write "leaks" in big letters; then, I use the mattress as a floor pad under a good air mattress.

My advice is similar to Foxrun41's. Make a small basin of soapy water. Wipe it over your air matress and look for bubbles.

When you see them, mark the spot with a pen or marker. Dry the air matress thoroughly and patch where you marked. Best to you!

How do I find a hole in an electric air mattress?

Answers

According to this article, you can place a piece of tissue paper on the mattress and move it around to find the leak bestmattress.reviews/.../

The issue I have found is it is mosty valve problems which are challenging to fix
if they pass, we used to do the soap bubble trick described here...m.wikihow.com/Locate-a-Leak-in-an-Air-Mattress

At least then you could patch cheaper with the sticky kits. Or duct tape my dad's favorite fix everything!!! The soap method is messy but it works. Also works to find gas leaks in gas lines coming into the house or furance or water heater. A BOGO of learning!

What's the easiest way to check for pin holes in a air mattress?

By cheryl from Glendale, WI

Answers:

Finding Leaks in an Air Mattress

Fill a spray bottle with water and spray in grids across the mattress and specially the seams. You will see bubbles if a leak exists. Dry with a towel as you go along but, give it time to reveal any leaks first. (09/14/2010)

By sufigirl

Finding Leaks in an Air Mattress

I read a few years ago if you blow up the mattress and put tissue paper on it, the leaks will show up. You might have to move the paper until leak shows. It is worth a try. (09/14/2010)

By Laverne

Finding Leaks in an Air Mattress

Easy and a piece of cake. Fill in the mattress tight with air. Take a pot of water and dissolve any dish washer liquid soap in it. Take a sponge and work the lather all over the mattress. The hole will sound and keep spouting bubbles longer than you think. It is a breeze. (09/26/2010)

By Akizil

How do I find a slow leak in an air mattress?

By Denny Squibb from Grand Junction, CO

Answers:

Finding Leaks in an Air Mattress

You do the same thing you would to find a leak in a tire; a spray bottle filled with soapy water. Spray the soapy water on the air mattress while it is inflated. Wherever bubbles start to develop is where your leak is. (08/24/2009)

By Donna

Finding Leaks in an Air Mattress

This may sound crazy, but it worked. I lit a dark colored smoke bomb and let it enter the air intake of the pump while blowing up the mattress. Continue to blow the mattress all the way up then let it sit. You will not be able to see smoke come out of the holes, but you will notice the dark powder from the smoke bomb. Bot-a-bing, there's your hole.
(08/02/2010)

By John

Finding Leaks in an Air Mattress

First I tried feeling for the leak in my queen sized 19 inch Aerobed. Next I tried soap bubbles. Third, I tried Brian's advice with tissue paper. I was just about to give up when I saw cjb's advice to use aluminum foil and voila I found the leak in under 5 minutes. The sound was easily detectable when I lay on the mattress and put my ear close to the foil that covered the hole. Thank you so much cjb. (09/06/2010)

By pfg

Can anyone tell me how to find leaks in air mattress beds?

Home and Garden Repair Sporting GoodsJune 16, 2016
😎
📓
🌻
🐛
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Finding-Leaks-in-an-Air-Mattress-5.html