Scunci Steamer Doesn't Steam

Category Appliances
A clog or a faulty heating element are the most likely reasons your Scunci steam has stopped steaming. This is a guide about Scunci steamer doesn't steam.

My Scunci steamer won't work. It heats up, builds pressure, but steam won't come out. Please help.

By rita from Cleveland, OH

Answers

Best Answer

Take it back or do this; To fix the problem of no steam coming out or steam coming out without pushing the button.
Do this:
1. Remove the two screws from the from of the steamer then remove the end cap.

2. Removed screw from the lower area of handle.

3.Top of steamer, remove the two screws under round rubber flap around fill hole.

4. Removed back of handle, top of steamer, front of steamer where nozzles attach.

5. Remove the plastic tube where the steam comes out.

6. Now look in the hole where the steam comes out and remove the 1/4 inch nut, metal washer, and rubber washer.

7. Take a small punch and lightly tap the brass rod until it pops out the back.

8. Remove the brass rod and spring. " The spring will have white crud on it and in the hole where it came out of. Clean the hole and spring really good. This will fix the problem of steam always coming out with out pushing the button."

9. Clean the brass rod, spring, and hole that they go into. I use a very small round wire brush. "Like the kind you might use to clean a gun."

10. Spray some WD40 in the hole and on the brass rod, then put a few drops of oil on the rod.

11. Put every thing back together and it will work like new.

12. Don't use tap water in the steamer and you will not get the build up.good luck.

There was a post in November of 2009 listing needed steps for repairing a Scunci steamer. At one point it very blithely states: 6. Now look in the hole where the steam comes out and remove the 1/4 inch nut, metal washer, and rubber washer. But I have no idea what tool is needed to take out the washers. They seem to be held fast by the post that the nut was on. I can't for the life of me figure this one out. I have tried asking both my son-in-law and his brother. Help! It was a post by kffrmw88. Anyone have any idea what is holding this thing in place? I am trying to do it myself. Thanks.

By Kristen C.

Answers

Best Answer

I did this and it really worked. Very happy to have it back in service. First, do not try to remove the rubber collar/washer under the cap. Just lift up the sides and the screws are right there. What you will need to remove the nut is a 1/4 inch socket which they sell individually at the big box stores if you don't have a socket set.

A medium size flat-bladed screwdriver stuck in the other end will do the trick to turn it. I then ran a thin bladed knife around the outside of the washers under the nut which removed a lot of debris, then tapped the brass rod out. You may need pliers to pull it out. The two washers came right out after that. I soaked everything in a lime remover for a few minutes and then a little steel wool and a brush to remove the rest.

Also used a dilute solution to clean out the container. When re-assembling, The socket came in handy for pushing the washers down on the brass post. Then, put the top back on first, making sure the spring is lined up on the post, and then the handle. Works as good as when it was new.

Best Answer

Scunci SS-1000.
I am glad I found this repair site. It provided motivation to attempt a repair, along with the shocking expense of a new one. I payed less than $50 years ago and I now see they are about $200. My problem was nothing happened when I pressed the trigger. I poured in the suggested vinegar, screwed the cap tight, plugged it in, let it heat up. Pressed the trigger...nothing. Unplugged it. Shook it, left the vinegar in so as to soak overnight. Repeated everything the next day. Still nothing. After letting it cool, I disassembled the top portion following Kathleen W's excellent directions. However upon pushing the protruding brass head/plunger I could tell it was stuck. Instead of disassembling that mechanism I sprayed WD-40 around the brass's perimeter.

After a bit of soaking I manually pushed on the brass head and it released. I did this several times, working it freely and reassembled everything. Plugged the steamer in and after heating up, the steamer worked as it should. Perhaps if the brass plunger locks again I will have to go deeper into the mechanism to clean out the crud, but for now all is well. I use the steamer to help remove old vinyl decals from signs. I think the vinegar is a good trick. BTW... Do not remove the bottom portion. No need to, but I was curious. There were some problems I had to deal with in doing so. One of 3 screws had a weird half slot in the head and that 1/4" thick rubber positioning seal at the top is difficult to get back in place properly. I like fixing things. When they are fixable. :)

I have a Scunci steamer. It wasn't steaming so I took it apart and cleaned and de-limed the rod and everything in it. I put it back together and it will not steam or heat up. What else can I do?

Answers

HI there! There are people here on Thriftyfun who had the same problem with you and they were fixed by taking them apart. However, they suggested it was important you not remove the rubber collar/washer under the cap.

Check out the steps here:

https://www.thr  4943642.tip.html

This is a good product but requires only distilled water or the calcium build up will cause problems.

• We see this question quite frequently so it must be something that happens to several models of this machine.
  • You do not state which model you have and cleaning is a little different with each style.
  • It is possible you either did not clean one small area or something di not go back together properly.
  • Here are a couple of sites that give some suggestions so maybe reading them will help you see if you missed something.
  • https://howtome  ers.php?id=21401
  • This site also will let you ask your question and the answer is free so maybe that might be an option.
  • http://www.fixy  solution-section

I removed the rubber flap on the Scuni Steamer and now it won't go back on securely. How did you get it back on securely?

By Kysha H

How can I get the steam to the attachments?

By Angela