Recycled Bag From Placemats

This is a bag made from placemats that I purchased at a garage sale.

Approximate Time: 1 to 1/2 hours

• place mats
  • yellow cotton fabric
  • blue cotton fabric
  • old button
  • embroidery design
  • embroidery thread
  • cording

1. To begin, decide which place mat will be the front and embroider a design of your choice on the front. Place the 2 place mats wrong sides together and sew them on one long side and 2 short sides.
  2. While the machine was embroidering the design, I took one strip of yellow and one strip of blue fabric approximately 20 x 1 1/2 inches.
  3. Fold each pieced in half lengthwise wrong sides together and sew down each long side. Turn fabric and stuff with cording.
  4. On this bag I made 2 sets of these and twisted them together to make the handles. Place handle ends just inside the top of bag.
  5. Next cut 2 strips of fabric to match the size of the place mats. Sew together on one long side and 2 short sides. Fold down the top 1/4 inch. Place inside bag with wrong sides together. Sew around the top to attach the lining.
  6. Ad

7. For the closure I made a strip of blue fabric and used a large old yellow button.

By Judy from Jonesboro, TX

Darling and clever! Would wear well and you could really have variety. I wonder if you could fold over the top for a flap closing? Thanks!

A bag made out of placemats.
Crafts Made With Placemats
Photos CraftsApril 22, 2010
Purple Placemat
Uses for Placemats
Laptop bag made from several pairs of jeans with a crocheted handle.
Making a Laptop Bag from Jeans
Wax Paper Flowers
Making Wax Paper Placemats
Jeans purse. Making a bootie bag from jeans.
Making a Bootie Bag from Jeans