Identifying Male And Female Avocado

How do you know if you have a male or female avacoda seed to grow?
Thanks.

Sandy from Kenner, LA

I feel so dumb to post this, but feel I need to do it since no one else has posted. I thought that all avacados were female. The reason I thought that was because female plants are the ones that have flowers and fruit (the avacado). OK, I know flowers have both male and female parts. So, I guess that makes them bisexual, huh? At least maybe I've got you thinking. lol

I do know there are male and female holly trees. To get berries on the female, the male needs to be present as well. So when you plant hollies you plant two, one male and one female.

Good luck!

According to the California Avocado Commission, http://www.avocado.org/about/growing-avocado, most avocados grown from seeds usually don't taste good. They graft trees to make them produce.

Thanks for the feedback from both of you. Certainly makes sense. Now I won't waste my time looking for great avocadoes!

Home and Garden Gardening SeedsMay 12, 2008
A ripe avocado cut in half.
Ripening an Avocado
Two avocados, one cut in half with the seed inside.
Peeling an Avocado
Two male Persian cats.
Neutered Male Cat Mounting Other Male Cats
Avocados on a Tree
Caring for an Avocado Tree
🎄