Share Crafts

Identifying Male And Female Avocado

How do you know if you have a male or female avacoda seed to grow?

Sandy from Kenner, LA

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By CArol in PA (Guest Post) 05/16/2008

I feel so dumb to post this, but feel I need to do it since no one else has posted. I thought that all avacados were female. The reason I thought that was because female plants are the ones that have flowers and fruit (the avacado). OK, I know flowers have both male and female parts. So, I guess that makes them bisexual, huh? At least maybe I've got you thinking. lol

I do know there are male and female holly trees. To get berries on the female, the male needs to be present as well. So when you plant hollies you plant two, one male and one female.

Good luck!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Barbara 3 05/16/2008

According to the California Avocado Commission,, most avocados grown from seeds usually don't taste good. They graft trees to make them produce.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Nolasandy (Guest Post) 05/18/2008

Thanks for the feedback from both of you. Certainly makes sense. Now I won't waste my time looking for great avocadoes!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No