How Many Hours Of Work Does It Cost?

contest winner icon

We have a family of 8, including 4 teenagers who love stuff. Whenever we or they want to buy something, we have one simple rule: Never think of an item's price! Instead we think of how many hours we will have to work to pay for the item. It keeps our hands in our pockets every time. It also works well for a teenager who has a job.

By Lynn from Northern Israel

I did this many years ago when the kids were "wanting" more than they needed. It really works. They were amazed at what thing really cost.

Yes! I always tend to think how long I worked to buy that purse, etc. Also, I used to point out to my kids that the local doctor worked an hour and their dad worked an hour, but the difference in what they earned was very significant. I let them know that they should consider that kind of thing when they chose a profession.

We've always lived by those rules.

Yes! incredibly amazing how quickly they realize that most things were far overpriced when it comes to how many hours it takes out of their lives to pay for it! And they quickly learn how to tell a great deal to be had when they start paying attention to cost at a store as opposed to what the cost of an item is when sold as "used" or found elsewhere!

Wanting a pair of roller blades that new were $80 for the least, found almost new at thrift store for $8 and far better than the ones for $80 they quickly picked them up! And were thrilled with the bargain!

Frugal Family With Girl Holding Piggy Bank
Frugal Parenting Tips and Tricks
Parenting Teen AdviceOctober 21, 2009
A dog being check out by a veterinarian.
Finding a Low Cost Vet Clinic
Setting Up a Carpool to Work, Man Getting in Work Car Pool
Setting Up a Carpool to Work
A person crocheting a pink baby blanket.
Finding Time to Crochet
Photo of a lady yelling at a driver.
Avoiding Road Rage