Craft Project: Coffee Can Marble Painting

This is a craft my 2 year old loves to make. She loves to shake up the marble in the coffee can and then take the lid off to discover her masterpiece. She also likes to watch herself shake the can in the mirror. So cute!

• Recycled coffee can
  • Paint
  • Marble
  • Paper

Cut a circle of paper to fit in the bottom of a recycled coffee can.

Place the paper in the coffee can, roll the marble in desired paint color, and drop the marble in the can.

Add the lid to the coffee can and shake it up!

Remove the lid and repeat with other colors if desired.

Remove paper and allow to dry. Do several circles of paper!

Hang individual pieces of paper to display, or attach to a string to keep them all together. This is a fun way to paint for even the youngest artists!

By Jayme from Harrisonburg, VA

When I was in elementary school we did something similar to this. We taped the edges of a pice of paper to the bottom of a box lid. Then we put the paint coated marbles inside and tilted the box to make the marbles roll around. I like the idea of a coffee can though for younger children as they might be too over-zealous for somthing without a lid. The box idea is great for older kids becuase they like to watch the marbles roll and try to control how they'll move.

This is just a wonderful craft for kids of all ages - not to mention adults - I'm going to make some myself!

Thanks so much for sharing, Lisa

I love this idea - such a simple art project and sounds so much fun! I'm going to try this in the Kindergarten/Grade 1 class I teach. I think I'll try it with a box also as glaittli suggested.

This looks like so much fun for all. How about using the metal lids from cans and meltin crayons on them, letting the wax drip around the edges lying down on foil or waxed paper until dry? I might try this, too. God bless you. : )

Coffee Can as Pencil Holder
Recycled Coffee Can Crafts
Photos CraftsMarch 22, 2009
Coffe Maker
Cleaning a Drip Coffee Maker
Beautiful coffee filter flowers in jars fiilled with rocks
Crafts Using Coffee Filters
A marble spa tub and floor in a beautiful bathroom.
Cleaning a Marble Floor
Closeup of pink marble slab.
Removing Stains from Marble