Shopping for Clear Jel

Do you know of any stores in northern Minnesota or Minnesota in general where I can buy this product? I ran across recipes for making pie filling in a jar and it called for "Clear Jel". I have never heard of it. I was told this is an Amish or Mennonite item. Thanks for your help. Does anyone have a listing of stores in Minneapolis where that sort of supply is available?

By Arlene from Aurora, MN

No, it's not a Mennonite or Amish thing. A place that specializes in food storage should have it. A simple google search turns up many places that sell it.

I go to the "Amish Country" several times a year to do bulk shopping and as a "day" get away The shop I go to is in Berlin Ohio called Berlin Bulk foods. I'm sure you could order from them. They have a web page although very small and I have seen this product. The information I have copied is from one of my favorite web sites call "foodsubs.com" HTH

ClearJel® = ClearJel® starch = Clear-jel Notes: This modified cornstarch is the secret ingredient that many commercial bakers use in their fruit pie fillings. Unlike ordinary cornstarch, ClearJel® works well with acidic ingredients, tolerates high temperatures, and doesn't cause pie fillings to "weep" during storage. ClearJel® is an especially good choice if you're canning homemade pie fillings, since it doesn't begin thickening until the liquid begins to cool. This allows the heat the be more evenly distributed within the jar during processing. This is such an important safety advantage that ClearJel® is the only thickener the USDA recommends for home canning. You can also use ClearJel® to thicken sauces, stews, and the like, though it's a rather expensive all-purpose thickener. One downside is that products thickened with ClearJel® tend to break down if they're frozen and thawed. If you plan to freeze what you're making, use Instant ClearJel®, arrowroot, or tapioca starch. ClearJel® is available either as pearls or powder from mail-order suppliers, but it's not yet available in grocery stores. Substitutes: Instant ClearJel® (Don't use this if you're canning a pie filling.) Or tapioca starch or arrowroot starch or cornstarch.

Hello,

You can buy this online at myspicesage.com. Here is the link:

http://www.myspicesage.com/clear-je ... nid=9a3b3271ae65096e3516f418169c4f86

and also on Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Barry-Farm-Cl ... Jel-lb/dp/B00015UC4S/?tag=thrif06-20

You could probably find other online sources also.

Hope this helps,

Bev

Could you be talking about Sure Jel?

http://brands.kraftfoods.com/surejell

Thanks everyone for your responses. I did Google the item and ended up ordering a bag. I have to wait almost 2 weeks for delivery. I have a niece checking places in Minneapolis. Hope she can find the clearjell there, too. I just hate waiting for 2 weeks before I can try some of the recipes I found on the web. Thanks again for all your help.

Consumer Advice Product FinderAugust 21, 2010
couple reading canned food label at the market
Grocery Shopping Strategies
Catalog Shopping
Catalog Shopping Tips
A woman cleaning her face with skin toner.
Homemade Skin Toner
Creating a Business Plan for a Small Business, A handwritten business plan on paper.
Creating a Business Plan for a Small Business
🎄
🍂