Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Odors Coming From Downstairs Apartment

I share the 2nd floor of a duplex and the neighbor downstairs is extremely dirty. *Think the worst episode of Lifetime's 'How clean is your house?'*

Her dirty smell is constantly wafting up into my apartment. I have tried everything: neutra air spray, glade plugins, febreeze...

You name it, I've tried it. Is there some miracle solution that is cat friendly? She will never clean and I can't afford to rent elsewhere.

Help!

Melissa

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Melissa [3]02/20/2005

Well, I tried the vinegar- my cat absolutely hated the smell. She prefers candles. ha ha

The renter below is the sister of the landlord so he ignores my requests and she ignores my letters. It has become very tense living there but I have to put up with it.

I would involve the health department but I am afraid of getting evicted and ending up homeless. I'd rather have an apartment I could afford and deal with this than not have a place to live!

I also have a cat even though I signed the lease stating I could only have birds and fish *which I think are just as dirty*

I painted the entire apartment with my own money and spent a lot of time and money cleaning his apartment top to bottom before moving in. Since I improved his apartment, the cat shouldn't be a problem but I do my best to hide her. I waited an entire year of living there before sneaking the cat in. I think the landlord told me I couldn't have a cat because the stinky sister wanted one.

So I guess I will make a trip to Walmart and try all of your suggestions. Thanks!

By Suzie (Guest Post)02/19/2005

Try heating plain white vinegar (NOT boiling) on the stove for as long as you need to until the smell is gone. About 1/2 cup should be enough. Do not add any water to it. It will neutralize the air and the vinegar smell will dissipate very quickly taking odors with it. I do this whenever I cook fish or broccoli or brussells sprouts. It really helps remove odors quite quickly. You can pick up a big jug of distilled vinegar for cheap at Costco.

By Kimberly (Guest Post)02/18/2005

Try Odor Ban from Sam's Warehouse.

By (Guest Post)02/16/2005

yes, you would better off letting apt. manager know,
they also need to know how their propery is being
ruined. try placing shallow bowls of white vinegar
around it absorbs foul odors well...
good luck!!!

By Babs (Guest Post)02/16/2005

If you haven't called your landlord perhaps that's the place to start and a call to the health department would also be in order. Are there children there? Call Children's Protective Services. Good luck!

By Trudy Powell02/16/2005

I really agree that the landlord needs to be contacted. Also, the Health Department in your area may need to take a look, but I know both of these things could make neighborly relations "sticky." Please see my reply to the girl who asked about getting the urine smell out of her child's PJ's. I recommended a Watkins product called Odor Zap - it's great, and I really think it would help you tremendously. If it doesn't, you get a full refund.

I'll send you a catalog if you want one.

Trudy Powell
trudypowell@sbcglobal.net
www.mo3bk.com

By Sarah (Guest Post)02/16/2005

We have a similar problem with our downstairs neighbours-- only it's their cooking and smoking. The best thing is an ion air purifier. If you share vents, you could add filters to them (the better quality, the better here). Beeswax candles also clean the air-- they remove polutants and even pet dander. I do a lot of aromatherapy, but I find it is only a temporary solution.

By Jean Christian02/16/2005

There is a product that I've purchased at WalMart that works pretty well. I don't have a bottle handy right now, but it seems to me it is called Odor Out. Its in a clear, pump bottle. Also, have you tried simmering a pot of water with apples and some spices? When I can't stand the smell at our house (2 cats, 1 dog, 2 children), I do the simmer thing. You have to watch the pot and make sure it doesn't boil over or dry, but it is effective.

It would be tempting to call the Health Department about your neighbor!

Good luck!

By KristaLove (Guest Post)02/15/2005

I have 2 cats and 2 dogs and my house can get pungent at times... LOL - I use the Bath and Body plug ins - they seem to last longer than the store bought plug ins and they're a lot more pungent. Also, talk to your landlord and see if they will send a letter to the dirty neighbor..