They make candles to get rid of smoke odors, pet odors, etc. Do you all know if they make a candle you can burn to get rid of germs when someone is home sick with a cold?
Thanks a bunch,
Pam from Lincoln, DE
Please be sure to rate the answer which works best for you. Do you have a better answer? Click above to answer this question.
Use a Lampe Berger or a knockoff instead. It burns alcohol and is easy to refill. The alcohol is drawn up the wick to a porous stone that absorbs the alcohol. The stone is lit, you let it burn two or three minutes, and blow it out. The wire on the stone is kept extremely hot and burns the alcohol and the particles in the air. The lamps are beautiful and useful. You can use the fragrance "oil" that is sold with it (expensive) or "90% rubbing alcohol" or a mixture of the two. Look up more information about thes lampes, they have a long and interesting history!
By Lynda (Guest Post)01/03/2007
Sick AND well people don't need polluted air, smoke filled that overworks their lungs...EVER.
Even though you mean well, try treating the sick person directly with Seamist Salt Water nose drops spray, with lots of fresh water and a clean plastic cup each day, with linens washed/bleached every other day, (if well enough, warm shower twice a week),give one Acidolphylus capsule a day until well, with mild non-cheese or milk-based soups/foods(potato, split pea,black bean, weakened tomato, or celery soups,canned "light" pears, avoiding acid foods/drinks and milk, chowders and creamed soups until VERY well), in disposable paper/plastic bowls, plates,flatware, with light simple foods as patient improves and is mostly symptom free or requests it.
(I prefer to take 100 mg. of Zinc each day which helps strengthen my immune system. Also, if coughing, the over-the-counter Daytime Gel Caps
and Nightime Gel caps seem to really work for a lot of folks, including me, if taken as directed on the box.)
Don't use aerosol sprays, candles, or ANY
strong chemicals in the sick room. If on tiles, use
a mild hot water solution of 1/2 water, a few drops of Lestoil, and a few capsful of bleach for mopping. If on carpet, do not vacuum until patient is well because ALL regular vacuums LEAK FLOOR DUST/GERMS INTO THE AIR, which is certainly not good for patient.
Wear baggies or cheap disposable gloves to wipe down all surfaces once a week with paper towels and mild "bleach/water solution", NOT depending upon Windex, Vinegar, or Ammonia to help or kill HARMFUL germs!
Replace the trash sack liner of the can daily, keep tissues or toilet paper nearby for expectorating and
drippy nose, which the saltwater nose drops should check, unless sinuses are too stopped up. If chest congestion, read label on the "tussins" for Guafenesin to loosen it up and help it get patient spit out mucous plugs prompty when loosened. Avoid cough drops/syrups. If sore throat, gargle once an hour with 1/2 tsp. table salt and 6 oz. COLD water, not hot/warm, carefully spitting into drain, NOT spreading mouth germs all over sink bowl. If nausea, 1 tblsp COLA SYRUP(cheap and works!) from Walgreens Drugs, hourly until gone, usually requiring no more than one small 6 oz. bottle. If nausea continues past that, see a doctor.
If diarreah (sp?), Immodium is what I use should this occur. If not checked by this, see a doctor.
If fever, Tylenol-type relief as directed, and see a doctor if not gone in 3 days. If no fever,
it's likely some sort of virus and will need the above
treatment for 5-6 days with PLENTY of GOOD SLEEP AND BEDREST, and proper food, not greasy junkfoods/fast foods/colas/acid drinks. (Linus Pauling retracted his advice on taking lots of Vit. C when we have a cold. It almost ruined a lot of folks.)
Granmama Lyn rests her advice....lol God help you to get well and keep you that way. : )
By siris. (Guest Post)01/03/2007
My mother used a plate of sliced onions placed on several surfaces. She claimed that they absorbed germs. Maybe a Scottish idea that my grandparents brought with them.
Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to answer this question.