Preparing for Cold and Flu Season

Catching the flu this year has been my most memorable nightmare. I don't think I can ever remember being this sick. And if the third time's a charm, I guess that means I'm done (although you wouldn't know it if you heard my cough). I don't know if I caught this three times because I was told by an old coworker that I would, and thus putting it into my subconscious, or if it actually takes the body three times to kill this particular plague.

I'm not big on putting anything in my system which explains why the few over the counter meds in my medicine cabinet were expired by a year! Also using natural remedies is just sort of how I was raised. This predicament started with lots of phlegm running down the back of my throat, an extreme sinus headache, and a very bothersome sore throat to boot. But what was more unnerving, as others I have spoken with echoed, was the nausea, (all three times). The sinus headache forced me to purchase two OTCs, (and my budget said that those two OTCs was all I was going to get). I also remembered to grab a 2-liter bottle of ginger ale (always does the trick).

It was at that moment that I remembered that I already had ground ginger in my cupboard that I use in my stir-frys. I thought, all of this time I had my remedy right there. But then I thought, I no longer keep empty teabags and adding ginger to hot water is just yucky. It's so fine that it would just fall out of my tea infuser. Then it hit me, all I had to do was to undo a regular tea bag and refill it with the ginger, (smack on the head-a V8 moment). So all of this time I had exactly what I needed to calm my stomach.

It took me standing there in shock at the prices of the OTCs to remind me that I had what I needed at home all the while. I did get something for the extreme sinus headache, but I only took one; taking two was the recommended dosage. I didn't even bother taking the night-time flu syrup; I could have left it at the store. Hopefully by the next time I need it; it will still be there, unopened and expired by a year. Try to stay well this flu season.

4 More Solutions

It's flu season, and here are some tips for fighting the flu. The best defense against the flu really is to get your flu shot. Children over 6 months of age, pregnant women, people with chronic illnesses and people over 65 are all considered high-risk.

Since the cold/flu season is upon us now, I would like to share a tip that I have used for several years. I buy the 0.5 fl. Oz. bottles of Purell Hand Sanitizer. I carry one in my purse, have several in my truck, and keep one in my pocket for times I don't have my purse. They are very handy for children and teens to carry with them to school or trips to the mall. You don't need water or a tissue for drying your hands. They come in packages of six or eight and can be bought at Wal-Mart, Target, drug stores or your grocery in the hand soap section. When in public I always open the door after washing my hands with paper towels if they have them, if not, sneak a few pieces of toilet tissue. By Chris

Use a clear shoe box. Fill it with all these items and also with the cough drops and medications. Make two sets of these, one for adults and one for children.

When empty, give your tissue box a second life as a small trash can for craft scraps or even used tissues. This is a page about using an empty tissue box as a small trash can.

Empty Tissue Box as Trash Can

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes
Health & Beauty AdviceMarch 14, 2013
🐛
👒
🌻
🐰
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Preparing-for-Cold-and-Flu-Season.html