AdviceCrafts

Is LeeWards Craft Store Still in Business?

Does anyone know if the craft store LeeWards is still in business? They closed their store in San Diego years ago but they had the best crafts. I'm looking for small hand loom type things because I don't know how to knit or crochet but I want to make something.

Thanks!

Joanne from San Diego CA

LeeWards is now Michaels. I am the daughter of the founder/CEO (and my uncle was the VP.) They started the company at a time when silk, for parachutes, was still in high demand, although the war was over. This allowed him to stay profitable, as he sold the silk to those who needed it (stockings) etc.

My dad started one of the first catalogue businesses in the country. I can still remember seeing his customer list on cards-like the old card catalogues in the library. He was one of the first who switched to computers and hired people to do punch cards.

He was always thinking of the customer: before he allowed a "kit" to leave he had checked out the instructions with the line operators. If they didn't understand the instructions, it went back to the artist. It had to be accessible. My dad was the salesman; my uncle the day to day guy. My dad introduced silk flowers to the US. He made a connection in Hong Kong and brought the products into the US.

None of us wanted to run the business. It was sold to General Mills, which in time, devolved to Michaels. My father retired to Spain, my uncle to a place in Ill. Each of them mourned the loss of the business.

I worked there, at minmum wage through numerous vacations. I remember working to fill orders, and always wished that I had roller skates to get around. It was tiring. I miss it now but that is likely nostalgia.

I am thrilled that someone remembers LeeWards. It was a great place. I only wish it were still in business.

I wish it was too. I started shopping at LeeWards when I was 12...1967, in Los Angeles. I LOVED it! I've worked at Michaels for 10 years, but it isn't the same.

Anonymous

I remember Lee Wards I had a catalog and ordered a variety of craft items from it. Today I was searching for it on the internet as Michaels does not carry the variety that Lee Wards did. I am disappointed to find out it has closed. I to mourn its closing. Former satisfied customer.

Anonymous

Thank you for sharing. In the 1970's my mother, husband, sister, and I made many Lee Wards Christmas ornament. Some are a bit "used" while others are still looking great. I've repaired when I could. But it's hard now to ever find sequins that match the originals. One of our favorites has a music box in it and it needs a bit of repair. Another special one is Magical Christmas tree. My husband spent a lot of time and lots of glue and it is just as lovely today as it was when he made it. I'm sorry to say Michael's doesn't hold a candle to Lee Wards especially with ornament kits if they even have them. Wish they would reappear.

Anonymous

I became familiar with Leewards in 1980 while I was stationed in Germany. They had the best assortments of Macrame books and I lost my favorite one that I wish had now to remake copies of Macrame hangers and shelves I still have today. Do you think you can obtain any of the macrame books from that time. This is one of the shelves that came from that magazine I wish I could get.

Anonymous

me, too

Hello,

I was going through some magazines that I had kept over the years for reference to remember the name if I needed something. The catalog is the Bicentennial Edition --"Sale ends July 28, 1976"

P.Housden

Virginia

My mom and family took turns in order from the new catalogue, making christmas balls bejewed to Easter eggs, necklaces and mom knitted granny and i crocheted many afaghans ,placemats pot holder. Loved looking through each cat. Thanks for the info I have a box of the ball point paint called expressa-color still.

I bought from Lee Wards for over ten years.

I loved LeeWards When I was a kid, I would go with my mom to buy hook rug supplies-- She would spend years making huge rugs. I would spend what seemed like hours wandering and looking at all the lovely things "I would make someday" LOLL I have a loom that you are looking for.... It called a knitting loom. It is made of wood and has nails in it that you weave back and forth to double or single knit. Sorry, I looked at Michaels for one-- but finally found it at JoAnne fabrics...In our town they are right across the parking lot to each other. I did not know that LeeWards is Michaels...That's a great legacy!

I was just thinking of LeeWards and the wonderful time I had ordering from the catalogue and visiting the store in the Northern California south bay. Thanks to you and your family!

I miss it!! My daughters still is their Christmas stocking I made from ordering from the catalog! 36 yrs ago.

I'm so glad to see so many remember Lee Wards. I also grew up with it. My Aunt Verna Lee "Mernie" Clark worked there and my family shopped there constantly. As I recall Mernie would design projects of various kinds then, once approved, would work with the engineers to break them down into kits. I learned how to do most crafts before I was 15 learning from my aunt. I would go across the street to her house after school and she was home from work, and she would let me play with scraps she had at home. I loved my trips to the Elgin IL store, walking the aisles, looking at all the parts and wondering what I might do with them. I craft of all kinds to this day and thank Mernie for her skill and time with me. Her daughter, granddaughter, and great-granddaughters also craft. We have also sold some of our work. I hope to live up to her legacy and make her proud.

Lee Ward's. I used to go to that store, Burlington, MA, all the time. Learned various different crafts and spent many hours walking and looking at everything. Sure miss it.

I remember getting feather doll kits from lee wards i had every color they sold.sure miss that store.

Oh how I loved that compay. I bought a cross stitch tablecloth and said it was my 27 year project, thinking at the time that it will take me that long for sure. Well, it's way over 27 years and I just pulled it out to work some more on it and on the instructions it says LeeWards, I had lost track of the company through the years and moves to different states and decided I wanted to know also if the company was still going. I'm sad that it isn't but so happy I have my tablecloth that is ALMOST finished, lol. Thanks for telling us about the inside of the company. Take care.

My sister took me a a Lee Wards store in or near St. Pete, Fl. in the 80's. I loved it! A huge building divided in areas for each craft. I can't remember if there was one in San Antonio too. I went to a huge store there but don't remember the name but it was identical to the one in St. Pete. Michaels is good but it is too small for all the crafts offered. I go there when I am in the States now. Ah, those were the days!!!!! Sherian

Oh the memories of Lee Wards. My entire family would make the drive to Kansas, where the store was located. My dad was a good sport and would wait while my mom and I looked all around. I loved their kits and get a kick out of finding some of their old items on Ebay or in thrift stores.

I miss LeeWards too. It was my mom's favorite craft store. We were upset when Michaels took it over. My mom passed in 1994, but I still remember going to Lee Wards with her. We used to say She who dies with the most yarn wins. Just a bit of nostalgia.

I started shopping at the Lee Wards in Elgin, Illinois in the early 1970's and loved it. Unfortunately, the building now houses a flee market and a Habitat Restore, which we do visit on occasion.

Believe it or not, I DO have an original Lee Ward Weaving Loom Kit, unopened and still in the box, which I am looking to sell. I would love for it to go to someone who remembers the quality products that aren't quite the same anymore.

Thank you for that information I have found several leewards catalogs in a storage unit that I bought. Too bad I can't save them and give them to you you have to contact me like toot sweet. Today being February 22, 2017.

I lived in Schaumburg, IL in the '80's and remember my visits to LeeWards very fondly. I wish the Michael's team were as diligent about screening patterns as was your Dad. Warm cuddly thoughts to you and all us old crafters.

I loved the catalog and even ordered from it, did not know the connection to Michaels, but makes sense when you think about it 

Anonymous

I had no idea that LeeWards was no longer in business or that it devolved to Michaels. I loved ordering all of my embroidery supplies from LeeWards Catalog. I was never disappointed.

When I was pregnant with my second child I embroidered the crib quilt, Kitties in a Basket. I took me the entire nine (9) months to complete it. Just in time for the birth of my daughter. I have lost track of where that quilt went. I wish I still had it (46 years later) to take a picture of it. It was my daughter's favorite and it did become quite thread bare after about 8 years.

Lee Wards was the best craft supplier. The one store was located in Elwood, Long Island, New York. My parents ordered from the catalog many times. We drove from Brooklyn, N.Y. and also Baldwin, NY to shop. Thank you for great memories with my parents.

We had no stores nearby (Eastern Washington) but I ordered from the catalogs in the late 50's & 60"s. I was reminded of them when I recently bought a mixed bag of yarn from a thrift store and it contained 4 skeins of Lee Wards yarn. I have such good memories of their products.

I wish Leewards was still in businews also. It was a great store.

check out libraries or used book stores.

I bought a dollhouse from Lee Ward many years ago for my Granddaughter. It was assembled by my son for his daughter. And now my great-granddaughter is very much enjoying playing with the same dollhouse! The dollhouse has brought so much pleasure to our family. Thank you Lee Ward.

Michaels is really terrible and it's hard to find the craft supplies you need. Also they won't order something if it is not on their shelves. I miss Lee Ward as I used to get a doll part with them I now can't find and I remember doing the ornaments with my Mom and son every year. At one time our entire tree was those homemade ornaments from Lee Ward.

Anonymous

I agree!! I loved Lee Wards in Az. Had a back wall of every color & ply yarn you could ever want! I crochet & use to go wild getting yarn there. Also loved their x-stitch kits & embroidery patterns. All a dying art I suppose. But I still crochet blankets for Denver Hospice as I moved here in 1974. Nothing like or since Lee Wards!!

I have seen in Mary maxim craft catalogue "knitting & crochet" for dummies. This might be an idea to help you learn these crafts. Good Luck with your adventure.

Anonymous

My mother and I shopped Lee Wards from the day we discovered it (it was quite a drive for us to Elgin, but once I got a car....we went every week). We both mourned when it disappeared. No other store has the range of items Lee Wards had nor the service.

I just found a LeeWards Cape Cod dollhouse kit, dated 1975, in my aunt's house. Original price was $39.95.

Thanks!

Joanne from San Diego CA

Answers:

You might try Valucraft. I live in San Diego area too and there are a few of them. I think I have seen what you want. Try calling them to save a trip. (11/09/2004)

By lindal

Hi. I'm on Long Island, NY and it seems any Lee Wards that we had did become Michael's Stores several years ago.
(11/09/2004)

By LI Roe

Leewards closed in sept. of 1994, Michael's bought them out. I was a Leewards employee for almost 20 years.
I have never seen a craft store like that one since! (02/15/2005)

I used to work at Lee Ward's corporate offices, and I remember that they began selling stores off to Michael's as early as 1992. It was sad, as we had shopped there since I could remember. (08/04/2005)

By Anthony

No, I'm sorry to say that Lee Wards went out of business many years ago. Herrschners and Mary Maxim are pretty much your only catalog options (and Annie's Attic, of course, but they don't offer as much variety). Try http://www.herrschners.com or http://www.marymaxim.com for hand loom items. Good luck! (09/13/2005)

By Meme2kbb

Looks like LeeWards was bought out by Micheal's in 1994. (01/17/2006)

By Jeanne

No, the company was acquired by Michael's Stores Inc, and took on the Michael's name. (03/01/2006)

By Nicole

You're right. Michael's is not a substitute for Lee Wards. But have you tried Hobby Lobby? A great store! They're not in the West yet, NM and East. They are really big in Texas. (10/27/2006)

By Bobbie

Try Herschners and Mary Maxim located in Port Huron. They can be found online and have catalogs. (01/01/2007)

By Noreen

I don't believe they're still in business. About 3-4 years ago, they still had a store near Philadelphia, in Exton, PA, I believe. However, if you're still (3 years later) looking for a small hand loom, try Herrschner's in Stevens Point, WI. Web site is this: www.herrschners.com. (07/19/2007)

By Ann

Every Christmas season, my mother, sister and I would each pick out a Lee Wards' craft Christmas ornament kit. We sat around the table piecing them together. It is a wonderful memory. I wish Lee Wards was still in business. (01/02/2008)

By Catie

There used to be a Lee Wards on route 22 in Monroeville east of Pittsburgh Pa. It has been closed for years. I used to teach knitting in Greensburg Pa. I used to drive to Lee Wards for supplies. I do not like Michael's, they do not compare. Joanne's is a little better. (03/13/2008)

By Jackie of Greensburg, Pa

I agree with everyone that Lee Wards was a wonderful craft store and there is no current store to compare with it--including Hobby Lobby. For those of you looking for certain items / kits / etc., you might try looking for them on E-bay. I've had luck finding some things by other companies. Sounds as if there is a real need for a good craft store for someone wanting to open a successful business. (07/02/2008)

By Booklady451

Michael's doesn't hold a candle to Lee Wards, you would think if they purchased it, they would have kept it the way it was. You could find anything at Lee Wards, and the yarn assortment was beyond compare. I will miss them terribly! (07/24/2008)

By norlyn

Lee Wards had the best quality, variety and prices. It is very difficult to find good crochet thread for table cloths, doilies, etc. The best alternative I have found is Herrschners on-line. Forget the stores. Lee Wards died when it was bought out by an investment group, which is par for the course. I really miss the Lee Wards Store. (08/11/2008)

By Dee

I, too, am sorry to find LeeWards is gone. I suggest Annie's Attic for many crafts mentioned on this web site. Annie's Attic has yarn, tools, books, and other supplies, and, yes, kits for a variety of crafts. (09/07/2008)

By Katherine Kirk

I too miss Lee Wards. They had such a nice variety of things that Michael's will never have. I loved making the ornaments with my kids. That was a good 25 years ago. I still have them hanging on my Christmas tree. I sure wish someone would get those ornament kits in. They were the best. I loved shopping there. I seldom go to Michael's. (10/23/2008)

By Maddie

I'm not sure if anyone else answered the question, but LeeWards was purchased by Michael's in 1994. We all miss LeeWards and obviously, Michael's has not continued to hold the reputation that made all of us so fond of LeeWards. (10/30/2008)

By Vicki

Was I ever disappointed to find this thread on the internet! I am just now getting back into crafts, and I absolutely loved Lee Wards. I am not especially fond of Michael's either. I also miss the Workbasket magazine too. Are there any magazines like that any more? (12/05/2008)

By sharon w.

I used to always go to Leewards. Have not found anything to compare to that store. But I have had some luck with MaryMaxims. It is a craft store in Port Huron Michigan. But they do have a catalog and you can browse and order on line. (12/19/2008)

By Marie

Too bad Leewards is no longer around, I too loved it. Walmart has done away with most of their crafts and embroidery floss. Try Ben Franklin, they still have some stores and are on line, also there is an online craft store on ebay. Happy crafting, Lura from Ga. (01/21/2009)

By Lura