Is LeeWards Craft Store Still in Business?

Does anyone know if the craft store LeeWards is still in business? They closed their store in San Diego years ago but they had the best crafts. I'm looking for small hand loom type things because I don't know how to knit or crochet but I want to make something.

Thanks!

Joanne from San Diego CA

Editor's Note: LeeWards has not been in business since 1994 but many still fondly remember it. Please feel free to share your memories in the feedback below.

Best Answer

LeeWards is now Michaels. I am the daughter of the founder/CEO (and my uncle was the VP.) They started the company at a time when silk, for parachutes, was still in high demand, although the war was over. This allowed him to stay profitable, as he sold the silk to those who needed it (stockings) etc.

My dad started one of the first catalogue businesses in the country. I can still remember seeing his customer list on cards-like the old card catalogues in the library. He was one of the first who switched to computers and hired people to do punch cards.

He was always thinking of the customer: before he allowed a "kit" to leave he had checked out the instructions with the line operators. If they didn't understand the instructions, it went back to the artist. It had to be accessible. My dad was the salesman; my uncle the day to day guy. My dad introduced silk flowers to the US. He made a connection in Hong Kong and brought the products into the US.

None of us wanted to run the business. It was sold to General Mills, which in time, devolved to Michaels. My father retired to Spain, my uncle to a place in Ill. Each of them mourned the loss of the business.

I worked there, at minmum wage through numerous vacations. I remember working to fill orders, and always wished that I had roller skates to get around. It was tiring. I miss it now but that is likely nostalgia.

I am thrilled that someone remembers LeeWards. It was a great place. I only wish it were still in business.

I wish it was too. I started shopping at LeeWards when I was 12...1967, in Los Angeles.

I LOVED it! I've worked at Michaels for 10 years, but it isn't the same.

Anonymous

I remember Lee Wards I had a catalog and ordered a variety of craft items from it. Today I was searching for it on the internet as Michaels does not carry the variety that Lee Wards did. I am disappointed to find out it has closed. I to mourn its closing. Former satisfied customer.

Anonymous

Thank you for sharing. In the 1970's my mother, husband, sister, and I made many Lee Wards Christmas ornament. Some are a bit "used" while others are still looking great. I've repaired when I could. But it's hard now to ever find sequins that match the originals. One of our favorites has a music box in it and it needs a bit of repair. Another special one is Magical Christmas tree. My husband spent a lot of time and lots of glue and it is just as lovely today as it was when he made it. I'm sorry to say Michael's doesn't hold a candle to Lee Wards especially with ornament kits if they even have them. Wish they would reappear.

Anonymous

I became familiar with Leewards in 1980 while I was stationed in Germany. They had the best assortments of Macrame books and I lost my favorite one that I wish had now to remake copies of Macrame hangers and shelves I still have today.

Do you think you can obtain any of the macrame books from that time. This is one of the shelves that came from that magazine I wish I could get.

Anonymous

me, too

Hello,

I was going through some magazines that I had kept over the years for reference to remember the name if I needed something. The catalog is the Bicentennial Edition --"Sale ends July 28, 1976"

P.Housden
Virginia

My mom and family took turns in order from the new catalogue, making christmas balls bejewed to Easter eggs, necklaces and mom knitted granny and i crocheted many afaghans ,placemats pot holder. Loved looking through each cat. Thanks for the info I have a box of the ball point paint called expressa-color still.

I bought from Lee Wards for over ten years.

I loved LeeWards When I was a kid, I would go with my mom to buy hook rug supplies-- She would spend years making huge rugs. I would spend what seemed like hours wandering and looking at all the lovely things "I would make someday" LOLL I have a loom that you are looking for....

It called a knitting loom. It is made of wood and has nails in it that you weave back and forth to double or single knit. Sorry, I looked at Michaels for one-- but finally found it at JoAnne fabrics...In our town they are right across the parking lot to each other. I did not know that LeeWards is Michaels...That's a great legacy!

I was just thinking of LeeWards and the wonderful time I had ordering from the catalogue and visiting the store in the Northern California south bay. Thanks to you and your family!

I miss it!! My daughters still is their Christmas stocking I made from ordering from the catalog! 36 yrs ago.

Best Answer

I'm so glad to see so many remember Lee Wards. I also grew up with it. My Aunt Verna Lee "Mernie" Clark worked there and my family shopped there constantly. As I recall Mernie would design projects of various kinds then, once approved, would work with the engineers to break them down into kits. I learned how to do most crafts before I was 15 learning from my aunt. I would go across the street to her house after school and she was home from work, and she would let me play with scraps she had at home.

I loved my trips to the Elgin IL store, walking the aisles, looking at all the parts and wondering what I might do with them. I craft of all kinds to this day and thank Mernie for her skill and time with me. Her daughter, granddaughter, and great-granddaughters also craft. We have also sold some of our work. I hope to live up to her legacy and make her proud.

Lee Ward's. I used to go to that store, Burlington, MA, all the time. Learned various different crafts and spent many hours walking and looking at everything. Sure miss it.

I remember getting feather doll kits from lee wards i had every color they sold.sure miss that store.

Oh how I loved that compay. I bought a cross stitch tablecloth and said it was my 27 year project, thinking at the time that it will take me that long for sure. Well, it's way over 27 years and I just pulled it out to work some more on it and on the instructions it says LeeWards, I had lost track of the company through the years and moves to different states and decided I wanted to know also if the company was still going. I'm sad that it isn't but so happy I have my tablecloth that is ALMOST finished, lol. Thanks for telling us about the inside of the company. Take care.

My sister took me a a Lee Wards store in or near St. Pete, Fl. in the 80's. I loved it! A huge building divided in areas for each craft. I can't remember if there was one in San Antonio too. I went to a huge store there but don't remember the name but it was identical to the one in St. Pete. Michaels is good but it is too small for all the crafts offered. I go there when I am in the States now. Ah, those were the days!!!!! Sherian

Oh the memories of Lee Wards. My entire family would make the drive to Kansas, where the store was located. My dad was a good sport and would wait while my mom and I looked all around. I loved their kits and get a kick out of finding some of their old items on Ebay or in thrift stores.

I miss LeeWards too. It was my mom's favorite craft store. We were upset when Michaels took it over. My mom passed in 1994, but I still remember going to Lee Wards with her. We used to say She who dies with the most yarn wins. Just a bit of nostalgia.

I started shopping at the Lee Wards in Elgin, Illinois in the early 1970's and loved it. Unfortunately, the building now houses a flee market and a Habitat Restore, which we do visit on occasion.

Believe it or not, I DO have an original Lee Ward Weaving Loom Kit, unopened and still in the box, which I am looking to sell. I would love for it to go to someone who remembers the quality products that aren't quite the same anymore.

Thank you for that information I have found several leewards catalogs in a storage unit that I bought. Too bad I can't save them and give them to you you have to contact me like toot sweet. Today being February 22, 2017.

I lived in Schaumburg, IL in the '80's and remember my visits to LeeWards very fondly. I wish the Michael's team were as diligent about screening patterns as was your Dad. Warm cuddly thoughts to you and all us old crafters.

I loved the catalog and even ordered from it, did not know the connection to Michaels, but makes sense when you think about it

Anonymous

I had no idea that LeeWards was no longer in business or that it devolved to Michaels. I loved ordering all of my embroidery supplies from LeeWards Catalog. I was never disappointed.

When I was pregnant with my second child I embroidered the crib quilt, Kitties in a Basket. I took me the entire nine (9) months to complete it. Just in time for the birth of my daughter. I have lost track of where that quilt went. I wish I still had it (46 years later) to take a picture of it. It was my daughter's favorite and it did become quite thread bare after about 8 years.

Lee Wards was the best craft supplier. The one store was located in Elwood, Long Island, New York. My parents ordered from the catalog many times. We drove from Brooklyn, N.Y. and also Baldwin, NY to shop. Thank you for great memories with my parents.

We had no stores nearby (Eastern Washington) but I ordered from the catalogs in the late 50's & 60"s. I was reminded of them when I recently bought a mixed bag of yarn from a thrift store and it contained 4 skeins of Lee Wards yarn. I have such good memories of their products.

I wish Leewards was still in businews also. It was a great store.

check out libraries or used book stores.

My LeeWards embroidered table cloth - which is only half done - is now 47 years old. Bought in Elgin Illinois and worked on when I was pregnant with our last daughter. I still have it but will probably never complete it. Avocado green. Yuck. There has never been another store as much fun as LeeWards.

My mother had ordered a doll kit where you make some sort of paper combination fabric circles for its dress and the doll had a parasol. I was wondering if they are still some around. thanks Ione Neese

As a former Soft Lines Manager at Michael's, Chesapeake, VA I too miss the store.

I went to the store in Elgin, Il. That's where my mom bought kits for hooked rugs and ripple afghans. Loved that store.

Anonymous

My grandmother worked for Leewards in Los Angeles when I was little. She took me along sometimes in the summer. I learned how do do many crafts while there each day, from some of the nicest people. Wish current employees were helpful and polite.

I also was a constant patron of Lee Wards in San Diego in the 70's, and have gone on line to try to find it again. Yes, I go to Michaels but preferred Lee Wards. Oh well. I appreciated the reply from family member, as I now know the answer, and the history of the store. Thanks for the info.

By chance do you or do you know of someone that I could get a pattern from? My mom started the Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep counted cross stitch and the pattern has gotten lost. I have tried Etsy, Ebay, and Amazon. No one has it. Just trying to finish something my mom started. Thanks so much.
Janelle

My husband and I had to drive to Elgin Illinois yesterday and as we drove down State street I said " I know that building ". I spent all night thinking about it and remembered it was where my mom, aunt and grandmother would go for our craft kits. I hooked many rugs and made many needlepoint kits from there. I just couldn't recall the name, though, so I googled it. How fun to remember it was Leewards. And to hear all these great stories

Me too I LOVED that company. Herrschners nor Michaels even hold a candle to that company! Nothing compares to the old stores and their products

I just mailed a Lee Wards wool hook rug to a friend. I made it around 1966/67. I designed the pattern and hooked it from rug mesh and pre-cut wool pieces from your catalog. the finished product was about 7' x 8'. Still has no moth holes. I also have maybe 40 Christmas ornaments I made. What nostalgia.

thank you.

elsie

I used to go to Leeward all the time when they were in Burlington, MA. I miss them a lot. I go to Michaels, but it's not the same. I still have a paper they used to wrap the yarn. It has the color and lot number on it. Thank you for letting me know what happened to them.

I remember shopping at Lee Wards many times. i always did a lot of knitting and crocheting and was sad when they closed the store. That was a lot of years ago. This month for my 84th birthday my son went to an estate sale and bought me a lot of yarn ( I always ask for it as I still knit a lot and make. Hats, gloves etc. for the homeless) Imagine my surprise when I opened the very large tote and found

They opened one in New Jersey and I worked there I miss too,but I can't remember what year it closed, and turned into Michaels I would love it if someone could send me the year.

I am from Mich, and my mother use to order things from Leewards. In the early 60's my two sisters moved to Elgin to work. My one sister lived across the street from the store. My parents visited and bought things to take back home and I was never in the store while there, but later wished I had. I often wondered if they were in business, but I am a customer of Michael's, and like that store alot. I have fond memories of living in Elgin with my sister for awhile.That is where I met my husband who I find was also from Mich. So now we are all back home. Elgin was a nice city and had so much fun there,I miss it. Hope one day to go back and visit.

I wanted to order some stuff and Lee Wards popped into my mind. I used to order from them back in the 70's. I loved getting my pretty yarns through the mail. I am grateful that your dads company was in business.

What a wonderful story! I just found several half done items my mom made while living and they have Leewards price tags on them!

Wow. In the 60's and 70s my mom and I got stuff from the catalog. Loved every thing
Still have my sewing basket and a table cloth I embroidered for my mother-in-law back in 1975. Now I'm going to find me a Michaels and go visit. Thanks for the history of Lee wards

I think of Lee Wards quite often since I worked there many times. I always knew I had a job there when I was ready to work again. I was one of their key punch operators. Really loved their merchandise too.

My Mother ordered from here all the time as did I when I grow up. I was probably 12 or so when my Mother did the quilt tops from here. Needle turn. Loved the little bit of history about what happen to the store. Thanks for sharing.

Back in the 70s, I got a kit every month. I couldn't wait until the next one! I still have many of the things I made back then - especially Christmas ornaments. I'm reminded every year when I haul out the Christmas ornaments which have been stored with such care. And it wasn't just yarns and ornaments that were made. It was a wide, wide variety of things. I still have a beaded picture made from a kit that is still hanging on my wall and is cherished more than decoration in my house.

Wouldn't you think that someone, somewhere would start a business like Lee Wards? I can't think of any business that was loved more and that people still remember from way back when. If Michaels and Hobby Lobby are so profitable, think what a Lee Wards store would be today. And, better still, how many people you'd make deliriously happy.

Anonymous

I miss LeeWards, shopped there all the time and even ordered from catalog.....Michaels is also good but so sad not located near me and no catalog.

So nice to see this post. My mom recently passed away and I found all the beaded velvet ornaments we had made together from Lee Ward kits. No kits like those available... Plan to buy old ones from eBay to do with my daughter. If anyone knows another place to get the kits, I would love to hear about it. Really miss Lee Wards.

I just purchased a cross stitch table cloth and matching napkins kit. Sadly, there was no picture or any instructions. Is it possible that there are copies of pictures and directions for the kit if I sent a picture of my tablecloth to you?

Loved lee wards as my mom & I were crafters! I have so many Xmas ornaments & a wall hanging from the store! Even my 3 children got into making the kits, now I know why they could be easily done. Thank you all who made the wonderful kits for us to make!

Leeward was my favorite better than clothing. But why not sell it, you make more selling.

Anonymous

My Mom loved Leewards. We live in South Carolina. She made bed dolls, I helped her fold the tissue discs. I can barely remember this, I was about 4 or 5. (about 55 years ago) It had a plastic doll in middle, she would make skirt from these discs. and put a bouquet of flowers in the dolls hands. I would like to make one today. She made many and all different colors. I loved them.

Ionese, My Mom made these too. I would love to make one, in her honor. Thought they were really pretty. She made many different colors for people.

My mother who was 96 when she passed away 2 years ago, was an avid crafter all her life. While going through tons of lace and ribbon recently, I
came across a large cardboard spool of yellow velvet like ribbon that had Leeward address on it. Can't imagine how old it is.

Growing up I lived in Hebron,Illinois. It was a big deal going to Elgin and Lee Wards! I hooked rugs for years and only Lee Wards had the Best hook rug kits! Ive never found any like what they had,,,,,,,

just came across your post about your family's biz. I too recall Lee Wards so fondly, the catalog and the lovely store about 20 miles from my home growing up. visiting there a few times a year was such a treat. Even as I type this, I am looking at a framed crewel stitched by my late mom, and a larger one stitched by me, both bought with great delight at the Lee Wards in Wayne, NJ. I bought a tablecloth to embroider for a friend's wedding gift--she still has it. We always found something to exclaim over. When I traveled for work, I once visited a LW store near San Diego, and was impressed anew with all the stitchery delights. Recently on ebay I came across &bought a needlework kit packaged by LW, a pony with a butterfly on her tail. I recognized it because long ago I had stitched the same design and gave it as a gift to the author Marguerite Henry (author of the "Misty" books) who had become a friend. She declared it her favorite gift from a fan. So I will now stitch my own version to enjoy. Irony of ironies, I have a p/t job at a Michaels store, which is no comparison at all to the wonderful craft store of my youth, but with stitched memories and others who recall it just as fondly, it will live on!

To the daughter of Lee Wards, thank you for the history. It was a great store and service to crafters of all ages. How did the name come to be?
I just want you to know that in 2018 your store still has good memories.

Now would be a great time to revisit the idea.

My daughter and I would go into Lee Wards every year to purchase at least two kits to make. We were vary sad when hey closed

I remember when I was young mom and I going to Lee Ward's on a Saturday. It was absolutely unbelievable!! Nothing like the craft stores now mixed with homewares. It was absolutely all crafts. I guess that's how I became crafty. It was wonderful hearing from a family member. Happy holidays!!

When I first got started in crafts, Lee Wards was the first one I turned to and loved browsing the catalog. I was never disappointed in the kits I ordered.

I bought a dollhouse from Lee Ward many years ago for my Granddaughter. It was assembled by my son for his daughter. And now my great-granddaughter is very much enjoying playing with the same dollhouse! The dollhouse has brought so much pleasure to our family. Thank you Lee Ward.

Michaels is really terrible and it's hard to find the craft supplies you need. Also they won't order something if it is not on their shelves. I miss Lee Ward as I used to get a doll part with them I now can't find and I remember doing the ornaments with my Mom and son every year. At one time our entire tree was those homemade ornaments from Lee Ward.

Anonymous

I agree!! I loved Lee Wards in Az. Had a back wall of every color & ply yarn you could ever want! I crochet & use to go wild getting yarn there. Also loved their x-stitch kits & embroidery patterns. All a dying art I suppose. But I still crochet blankets for Denver Hospice as I moved here in 1974. Nothing like or since Lee Wards!!

I have seen in Mary maxim craft catalogue "knitting & crochet" for dummies. This might be an idea to help you learn these crafts. Good Luck with your adventure.

Anonymous

My mother and I shopped Lee Wards from the day we discovered it (it was quite a drive for us to Elgin, but once I got a car....we went every week). We both mourned when it disappeared. No other store has the range of items Lee Wards had nor the service.

I just found a LeeWards Cape Cod dollhouse kit, dated 1975, in my aunt's house. Original price was $39.95.

I stumbled upon this site and was elated at the response of so many crafters. I worked at the Elgin store in the early 70's in the yarn department t. LeeWards was very flexible with schedules as a lot of us had school age kids. They were also flexible about summer vacations. Leave work for the summer and return in the fall after school started. I quit after a time, but several years later I landed a job in the corporate office in the advertising department. At one point I was the phototypesetter for the catalog. I have nothing but fond memories of those days.

Anonymous

I am working on a craft project I purchased from Lee Wards' years ago. Unfortunately I am short on yarn for the background. ANy idea where I might find the color. I checked in Michaels but couldn't find a match. The pattern is Strawberry shortcake and the background color is listed as ivory.

Anonymous

I need some rug yarn and I can't find any. However, I remember that I and my friend would travel from Chicago to Elgin just to go to Lee Wards. They had the best stuff.

I remember my mom getting Lee Wards catalogs in the mail and I would pour over them looking at all the craft varieties. This was in the late 50's-70's. When I moved to Edina, Minnesota and was a nanny, I discovered a Lee Wards store nearby. I loved going to it and walking down the aisles-it was like the catalog came to life!! That was in the early 90's.
Thought of Lee Wards today and Googled it to see what I could find..sad it devolved to Michael's also. Loved hearing the family member's history of the company and reading the many comments here.

Now, in the year 2019, there are many places to obtain crafts. You can order online from Michael's, Hobby Lobby, Walmart and Fire Mountain Gems. Incidentally, Hobby Lobby is now in Reno, NV and Morgan Hill, CA among other Western locations. All of these businesses have more stuff available online than they do in their stores.