How Do I Treat a Nursing Dog Who Is Losing Hair?

I have a Shih Tzu who had 2 puppies 5 weeks ago. While she was pregnant she looked great. She weighed about 13 pounds at delivery time and her hair was full and thick.

Now that she's had the puppies and been nursing she's lost her "baby weight" and her hair as gotten so thin. It is thin enough that I can see her skin in some areas, mainly down her back. Is this normal? What can I do to get her to gain her weight back and keep her hair from falling out? Please help.

By Janet from Mobile, AL

My dog had mange and she was losing hair. I used to give her a well beaten raw egg and that helped. Try Bob Martin's. Maybe the dog is lacking vitamins.

I've been breeding Persian kittens for many years. Many are show quality and I never had a problem with the females losing their fur. Many had their fur get thinner though. I am going to recommend the same thing as for the person having a yeast problem. It is called nzymes and you can read about it at nzymes.com. It's just a great product and I think their has to be something your pup is needing. This is a product that will not hurt the mom or pups. I have no interest in this company, I just believe in it as I have seen it work. Try it, you won't believe the difference in your pet or pups.

I don't know how to treat her for this situation, but please, please have her spayed, no more puppies. There are too many unwanted dogs in this country and you wouldn't have to worry about her being sick either. Spay her, please.