Remedies for Hair Loss in Dogs

Category Health
Visit your veterinarian to determine the cause of your dog's hair loss. This is a guide about remedies for hair loss in dogs.

A variety of reasons may cause hair loss in dogs. This is a guide about reasons a dog is losing its hair.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about Dachshund losing hair. When your dog suffers hair loss, determining the cause is the first step to treatment.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

Why is my 15 month old Lurcher bitch losing hair on her front and rear legs? She has also started to lick her legs, no other part of her body is affected by this.

By rainbow1972 from England

Answers

Best Answer

I believe your dog has mange. It is a treatable skin disease but you must see a vet to cure it. Certain types of mange can also be passed onto the puppies from the mother. Definitely speak to a vet.

Best Answer

It's possible that your dog has food allergies. My dog loses hair if I feed her certain dog foods. I was making all her dog food last winter, but I quit doing that for the summer. Right now, I'm giving her an all natural dog food and she's doing very well, but the food is expensive. I'll probably go back to making my own dog food when the weather cools off again.

Best Answer

Dermatitis mange or allergy. My nieces dog had hair loss and the vet told hers was due to allergies. He recommended the same allergy antihistamine that can be bought in the dollar stores for people once a day. If it is allergies, be sure to get the pills with out the heavy red die. In people the heavy red die gives what feels like a urinary track infection to some people. But when tested usually no urinary track infection shows. So why risk the discomfort for your dog.

My daughter has a beautiful dog with dermatitis mange. In an instance like this there are different things that can be done. For one a good bath using a flee tick and lice shampoo on the chance microscopic bugs are to blame, another is changing the food to lamb and rice. Some vet's say dog's have an allergic reaction to the beef in food. Also my daughter gives her dog omega three capsules. The same kind that people take. It puts oil in his skin and makes for a beautiful coat.

What was really interesting is when one of my daughters dogs got into the pine pitch, she used baby oil to get it out before bathing. She had to bath him twice, but he smelled good for several days after word. And his hair was beautiful!

P.S. If the dog has chewed and scratched him self raw in places, a vet may order an antibiotic to help heal it. Good luck with your dog.

Today I noticed that my dog was licking underneath her right leg. When I checked her, I noticed that underneath her right leg she did not have any hair unlike her left side were she has hair. What can this be and is it something I should be concerned about? She is 5 years old and a Shih Tzu.

By Nelson from Hackensack, NJ

Answers

Best Answer

There are many causes of this type of behavior including behavioral, allergic, and endocrine disorders to name a few. It is important to be adament about sharing information in detail with your Veterinarian such as when she is doing this behavior, type of diet fed, and the use of flea and tick products. Sometimes the smallest things such as a change of environment, household cleaners, and or laundry detergent can cause upsets. Other problems can be psychogenic grooming due to a need not being met. These cases are quite difficult to pinpoint but, are not impossible. I would suggest keeping a diary of behaviors and changes and presenting them to your vet. It may sound a little freaky but, the more information we have, the more able we are to get to the root of the problem! Good luck! :) SEUT RVT

Best Answer

It sounds to me your dog is still traumatized by the surgery and her nerves are getting the best of her which would cause her to lose her fur and as for the vomiting it is probably caused by her ingesting her hair like fur balls to a cat when they clean themselves.. When she goes to the vet again love her while she is there so she won't be so upset cause she remembers what happened the last time she went there, take her home and pay lots of attention to her and give her a special treat.

I agree with the last person keep a journal of any changes in her environment and her habits. Good Luck and God Bless!

I have a 9 yr. old Chow, who is losing her fur, on her bottom and now along the sides of her body. The vet gave me medicine for allergies, but it is not working. Someone told me to try Gold Bond powder and another said give her vitamin A. She does not scratch the areas, and it is not irritated.
Does anyone have any suggestions that may help her?

By Ann

Answers

Best Answer

I'm surprised by how many people use rather radical methods because a dog is shedding. While you always want to check with a vet, there is probably a very simple solution! Most people tend to feed their dogs lots of dry food, and very little wet food, if any at all. This simply reduces the amount of oil and fat they get in their diet. Like all animals with hair, dogs need this oil and fat to help them maintain a healthy coat. Without it, they start shedding like mad.

Use eggs, olive oil, or other oily/fatty replacements with their food to help create a healthy coat. You don't need to buy any fancy products, just a little olive oil on the dry food can have a noticeable effect.

Best Answer

Some dogs are allergic to wheat or corn in their food. Corn is very common in most dog foods and treats, and if there is an allergy, the dog's hair will fall out and they will begin scratching. Our dog is allergic to corn and we started buying a natural, corn-free food at our local pet store and it helped tremendously. Also, we started bathing him with a gentle oatmeal shampoo to keep his skin from drying out.

I've had my Pom-Chi for just about 2 months, he's only 3 1/2 months old. The past couple weeks I've noticed that he has been chewing on his skin on his front legs a lot and when he does that it has an odd sound like cartilage cracking. He has been itching constantly and it looks like he has dandruff! He has been loosing hair too on his stomach, chest, and front armpits. It's very thin. He is black and the hair there looks grey and if I pull gently on it, it comes out very easily.

I am very worried about my little baby:( I took him to the vet and we did tests for mites and they came out negative. She said that the normal hair loss for Pomeranians was on their legs and heads. He isn't losing any of that hair so it is an odd place for that.

I'm going to switch his food and get different shampoo to see if that will help, but please please help me! I'm very sad my little baby has to suffer like this.

By mtee7

Answers

Best Answer

I have a dachshund and have been battling itching, scratching and crusted skin for about 2 1/2 years. Went on GreatDaneLady.com and she had some very good advice about these conditions.

Take your dog for a thryroid test if that turns out good. Go on Nzymes.com and get the nzymes pak for allergies and within 6 months using the above in conjunction with shampoo and 4 Health or Blue dog food she is living a very good life relatively scratch free. Like some one else said the dog food you buy in the grocery store or pet store is full of stuff they don't need. Great Dane Lady is a very good source of information. Good luck!

Best Answer

This sounds a lot like a food allergy. But it also could be thyroid. There are good posts on this site about alternative diets for food allergy. My dog was allergic to many foods and I ended up feeding him brown rice and canned salmon until he died at 17 years old. I had to figure this out on my own. The vets dont study much about alternative diets.. Good luck.

My 5-month-old Bichon Yorkie has thin hair on his legs and back. The vet suggests it is a flea allergy. He acts like it is a death sentence. Can any one give suggestions?

By Sandy from Louisa, KY

Answers

Best Answer

Dry borax in the carpet like I have directed to many, for the fleas. Good for at least a year plus it is a natural product. Nzymes.com for the enzyme granules that will help in many ways with digestion and health. Besides, it helps make up for the processed foods that we can not totally get away from. Another suggestion is Willard's water in their drinking water as well as a spray on the damaged skin.

Best Answer

Sounds like your pets have a weak immune system. You have to feed your pets good quality food. It will cost a little more but it is worth it. Good quality food for a dog is Evangers, Natural Balance or Merrick. There are others but this is what I feed my dogs. Look at the ingredients and make sure the food does not have any by-products, chemical preservatives, artificial flavors, artificial colors, chemical additives. The first ingredients should always be some kind of meat (turkey, beef, chicken). Give your pets good quality fish oil. I use "Royal Coat Express" from Ark Naturals. Excellent product. Their web site is www.arknaturals.com. Their fur will grown back and it will be thick and healthy.

What's the best home remedy to get fleas off my dogs, and what can i do about them losing their hair?

Charlotte

Answers

Please take the dogs to the vet, in addition to an infestation of fleas they could have a medical condition, worms, skin disease, etc.

My indoor dogs are given Frontline (from the Vet) 10 months a year and I have never had a problem.

Please take the dogs to the Vet. They could have a medical condition, worms, etc., in addition of an infestation of fleas. Fleas will suck the blood and make them anemic so you should begin treatment as soon as possible.

My dogs are indoor pets and I give them Frontline (from the Vet) 10 months out of the year and have never had a problem with fleas.

I watch Animal Precint and Animal Cops on the Animal Planet network and whenever they find a dog losing it's hair, it is always something serious, and they tell the owner that the dog has to get to the vet right away and be treated with antibiotics.

For immediate relief, mix half baby shampoo and half hydrogen peroxide. Let lather sit on your pet a good 5 minutes (a nice time to sweet talk & massage them). The peroxide kills the fleas and the remedy is not toxic like many otc animal dips &
shampoos. And zinc is a wonderful remedy for any animal having skin problems. Just give 1 tablet a day. Yes, worm your dog (you can do this yourself...
there are many vet supply companies online that have vitamins as well). By all means, if things do not improve see your vet. And all my animals (I have
12) are on Frontline. But the shampoo mix will get you by in a pinch. Good luck

If the dog is scratching a lot because of fleas they will lose their hair that way. My aunts dog had that problem and they thought it was mange but he itches horribly and when they used anti itch spray and it cleared up after a while.

a little garlic mixed in its dogfood also helps repel fleas from its skin.

Isn't Hydrogen Peroxide used to bleach hair???

Try using Avon Skin So Soft if it is safe for babies it is save for dogs and cats. It works for skin problems and will also get rid of fleas.

I would, most definitely, as the vet's advice.
I hope your doggie is better now.

I have two 100 lb plus English Mastiffs and a 5 lb yorkie. One of my mastiffs is itching so bad that he has started to lose his hair near his tail. The other mastiff doesn't even have any signs of fleas. She doesn't itch or anything...well not out of the norm. The yorkie is absolutly infested with fleas. I can't get them off of him.

I have tried rubbing alcohol, which does work for a few hours or a day and then they are back again and really bad. I have also tried rubbing them down with Vinegar and putting a small amt in their water, which I only saw results with my outside mastiffs and not with my yorkie. (he stays inside) My house isn't infested at all. Infact we don't have any problems with the fleas biting us. It's just the dogs.

It really sends up a red flag that only one of my mastiffs is losing hair and whatnot, seeing as they are both outside dogs and they are usually within a close proximity of each other. What do you guys suggest?

my dog has been losing his fur for quite some time now.
hes only 5!
and we've tried everything!
from flea baths, to anti-itch cream, to benadryl
nothing seems to work
we have also tried cortizone shots
still doesn't work
what should i do?

CHINA IS A SMALL SHIH TZU (SPELLING) WE HAVE 2 OTHER DOGS BESIDES CHINA AND WE CHANGED THE FOOD THEY WERE ON TO SOMETHING FOR OLDER DOGS BECAUSE THEY ARE GETTING OLD AT THE 2 ARE . WELL MY HUSBAND NOTICE THAT CHINA WAS LOSING HAIR BY THE ONE HIND LEG WELL TODAY I NOTICE SHE HAS A V GOING NOW.
WHAT SHOULD I DO BESIDES GO TO THE VET?

I have a female Dachshund that is losing her hair in spots and it isn't ringworm or mange. She itches all the time and scratches all the time. Does any one have any ideas on what it could be? We give her bathes in dog shampoo and she's well taken care of. Spoiled rotten.

LeAnne from OK

Answers

Best Answer

My cat lost some hair on his ear right after I adopted him. His ear felt hot and he itched it a lot. I took him to the vet for his adoption check up and found he had ear mites. I went to PetSmart and bought some Petrelief Anti-itch spray. It is supposed to heal "hot spots" and relieve itching and control the spread of lesions. It says to consult a vet if symptoms persist. This stuff was for cats but maybe they make it for dogs as well...Have you contacted your vet? Mine is very good about listening to the problem and giving me ideas on how I can help my cats or dog on my own (if it's not a serious thing.) Then if it persists, I can make an appointment. This has saved me a lot of money over the 20 years I've had my pets at their office (since I was ten!)

Best Answer

My Cairn has the same problem- skin scrapings, thyroid test, and blood work showed nothing. We think it is allergies. She is on an expensive high anti-allergan diet food from the vet. She has flare ups still, though not as bad. She now takes antibotics every weekend and is on 1/4 tab. of prednisone every other day, to help keep the inflammation down. We also have a gentle natural shampoo. Good luck, it is hard when there isn't much we can do to help them.

We have a 6 year old Pug. He has been having small dark patches in the neck and chest region. There has also been some hair fall. We had put him on some antibiotics, but the problem still recurs after some time. Is there any cure, any foods we should avoid? We had tried hypoallergenic foods, but that didn't work. Now we are giving him a food which contains fish and rice.

By Sunita

Answers

Best Answer

Could be lots of things. Allergy? fungus, food and i suspect this happened immediately after a vaccine. His immune system is possibly failing. Lets try some things that will not harm and see if we can clear this. Please check my past posts for details. We start with a proven supplement I have used with great success on my disabled dogs. No, I don't sell or profit from this. Google and order please Nzymes.com. What they sell truly works. Pictures like you dogs problem and it does work. They will help you with diet info, allergy concerns, anti vaccine info, supplement info and the like. Their add is right on and these are not phony people. Nothing from China.

You might try amber colored Listerine. Amber only in a spray bottle and be sure and get between the toes. You might try coconut oil on the skin and a little in his food. Very promising if it is any organism is a bath in just 1 % chlorhexidine which is a medical scrub. Ask at even Wal Mart for it. Mix with lots of water. it does some amazing things in a short term. No vaccines. You may set his immune system in orbit. Google anti vaccine to find ingredients in vaccines and you will never again trust such idiots. Content mercury, formaldehyde, aluminum, x species pus - get the picture? I have no formal training only experience after helping animals all of my life.

I have a Pomchi (15 weeks old). As soon as we got him at 8 weeks old he started to lose fur on his face and then around his bottom and back legs. The hair on his face has grown back but the hair on his back legs and bottom has not. He has very dry itchy skin on his back also that flakes.

I have seen remarks on how to cure itchiness but I don't know what to do about the hair loss. His coat is really sparse all over. He has very short fuzzy, soft hair that would be only 3/4 in. long. Actually he really doesn't look like what I though I was getting. Any suggestions?

Laura from Hornsby, Australia

Answers

Your little pup needs more fiber in his diet. Most dog foods overlook it as a necessity in the diet. Keep in mind, however, that excessive dietary fiber can have negative effects, including gas, increased stool volume or density, and loose stools. My god mother had a Yorkie pup who did the same thing. After a few weeks on a more nutritious diet your pups hair should grow back.

My 5 month old Pit/Lab mix is losing patches of fur. It started with a patch on his head and we just figured he had scrapped it on something in the yard. But it's been a month or two and now that the fleas are coming around he is scratching way more than the other dogs, and he's making the hair loss worse.

Our other dogs are perfectly fine, they all eat the same food, and I can't afford a vet at the moment. He is happy and healthy aside from the patches. I've looked up mange and allergy symptoms and what you can buy to help, but like I said, finances are tight, so if there is a home remedy that I can use in the mean time, I'd like to know what is safe. He has such pretty fur. I'd hate for him to lose it all.

Cooper, my Golden, has begun to pull hair out beside his tail and along his tail. When the hair is pulled it reveals red, flakey, raw skin. Without the cone he can't stop himself from licking and pulling hair. This is the second time (he is 5) both in the last 6 months. Where he has healed the skin has turned black. The vet said it could be allergies or bug bites, but we're not sure. Drugs and creams didn't seem to improve the situation. I've been online and I am starting to think yeast. Any ideas of the cause or ideas to help heal? Thanks in advance!

The more severe pictures are of the first time and it took only 2 days. The other 2 that don't look as bad are current and on the opposite side.

My 7-year old long hair Doxie, has a horrible skin rash on her chest and arm pits. She is losing her fur and has an odor. The vet gave her a cortisone shot about a month ago, but that has not helped the rash. She doesn't scratch as much, but it doesn't look good.

By Marge L from Galloway, NJ

Answers

Best Answer

That does sound like itching from allergies or some other skin condition and maybe a longer course of oral steroids would help. But something else to consider, especially if your dog is also tired, is a thyroid condition. When I was a kid, our dachshund started losing hair and gaining weight. The vet kept treating it as a skin condition and wanted to shave off all Snoopy's hair and treat him with special lotions for several weeks. My mom took him to another vet who diagnosed low thyroid hormone. He took a pill every day and was back to normal in no time. He lived to be 15 years old.

My 1 year old Boston Terrier (male) is loosing hair behind his ears. The rest of the body is OK. Can you suggest any home remedies or natural oil? Thanks.

By Esther from New York, NY

Answers

Best Answer

I respectfully suggest you take your Boston to the vet, first, to determine what the problem is before trying to treat it with home remedies. It's impossible to treat any condition effectively (people or pets) if you don't know what ailment you are treating. Hair loss can be indicative of skin allergies and/or many other ailments, none of which can be treated successfully - with or without home remedies, unless you have a proper diagnosis. Good Luck.

P.S. I've a soft spot for the Boston's as I grew up with them. Hope your pet gets better, soon.

My 11 month old Chow is shedding and there are skin rashes all over his body. He has also black spots on his face and when I remove it, it bleeds.

By Cho from Philippines

I have a question regarding my Staffy. He's losing hair behind his ears and now it looks like he's losing it round his eyes. He has to see the vet in two weeks, but I was just wondering what this could be and if there was anything I could do for him in the mean time?

Kind regards.

My 2 month old puppy's fur is falling from her legs, chest, neck, face, and ear. How do I get it to grow back? Please help me? and what is the reason?

I have a 9 year old pekingese and he recently started losing all his hair around the neck. Then my family and I went camping and his hair loss started on his tail and behind the ears. I've noticed his hair starting to fall off everywhere and it's frizzy. This has never happened before and I would take him to the vet, but I'm in a different country with him. Please help!

I have a 10 year old Chihuahua who recently, in the last 2 months, started losing his hair on his back. When I give him baths he starts scratching really badly afterwards and his skin starts flaking. I use Sergeant's flea and tick shampoo. What can I use to help his dry skin so he doesn't scratch so much after a bath?

He has to eat wet foods because his jaw isn't strong enough to chew hard food anymore. Can I use cocoa butter on his dry skin or will it hurt him?

Our Pug is 5 months old and is suffering with severe itching and hair fall. We have been using Star Coat syrup and Clodoc powder from 15 days, but I can't observe any change. So, I request you to kindly suggest some remedies in the form of sprays.

By Subramanyam P

I have a Shih Tzu who had 2 puppies 5 weeks ago. While she was pregnant she looked great. She weighed about 13 pounds at delivery time and her hair was full and thick.

Now that she's had the puppies and been nursing she's lost her "baby weight" and her hair as gotten so thin. It is thin enough that I can see her skin in some areas, mainly down her back. Is this normal? What can I do to get her to gain her weight back and keep her hair from falling out? Please help.

By Janet from Mobile, AL

I have a 9 month old Great Dane. When he was about 12 weeks old he started to lose hair on his head. We got that under control now it's on the sides of his face under his eyes, on his jowls, his armpits, and on his elbows where he lays. I took him to the vet and she said he'll grow out of it, but I don't see him growing out of it. He also has this reddish rash on his chest/stomach.

Someone said it could be mange. What is this?

By Elaine from Kent

My dog's hair has shed due to chemicals used while cleaning the floor. Please help me to grow my dog's hair back. Please give me tips.

Some people around me are advising me to comb my hair more frequently. I'm not doing that currently, but I do brush 2 times a day. I have some hairfall issues so they tell this to me. Is there any truth to it? Does combing really prevent hair loss?

He is 6 months old and has been having this skin issue for awhile now. He loses hair in patches and is left with red bold spots after. It's mostly on the back and leg area. I've showered him and he is tick and flea free. I've done some research, but still am not sure what it is.

I have a blue Staffy puppy, thoroughbred, 5 champions in a row. She has Cushings and is the only puppy known in the UK to have this. She is on Vetoryl 60 mg daily costing a me a fortune! One of the side effects is the coat falls out.

Anyone out there know of any shampoos, creams, positions, or tablets she could try to help her coat grow? I know Cushings is internal, but she is really feeling the cold even on cool summer days. So I dread the winter. The pic below is of her b4 she lost a lot of her hair or fur should I say. Thanks to all in advance. xxx

I have a beautiful baby blue Staffy who is 18 months old. Unfortunately she has been diagnosed with Cushings. She is supossibly the only pup to have this! We love her dearly and she's costing a fortune. I would like to know if anyone knows anything I can do to stimulate her hair growth, such as creams, shampoos, massaging, tablets, etc.? I'm pretty desperate to have her look as normal as possible. Please help me. Any advice would be great from public or vets. She is on Vetoryl 60 mg a day. I am thanking all you lovely people in advance. xxxxx

I've noticed that my dog Hendrix is starting to lose some fur on his tail. My other dog Missy is absolutely fine. I would be grateful of any advice.

My Pit Bull is losing hair on top of his back, close to his hips and tail. He eats good, but bites at his hair all the time. He also doesn't seem to gain any weight.

By David

Load More