Dog is Losing Hair

Why is my 15 month old Lurcher bitch losing hair on her front and rear legs? She has also started to lick her legs, no other part of her body is affected by this.

By rainbow1972 from England

Best Answer

I believe your dog has mange. It is a treatable skin disease but you must see a vet to cure it. Certain types of mange can also be passed onto the puppies from the mother. Definitely speak to a vet.

You are completely wrong! My first thought is allergies and not mange! I don't even think you know what mange is.

Best Answer

It's possible that your dog has food allergies. My dog loses hair if I feed her certain dog foods. I was making all her dog food last winter, but I quit doing that for the summer. Right now, I'm giving her an all natural dog food and she's doing very well, but the food is expensive. I'll probably go back to making my own dog food when the weather cools off again.

Best Answer

Dermatitis mange or allergy. My nieces dog had hair loss and the vet told hers was due to allergies. He recommended the same allergy antihistamine that can be bought in the dollar stores for people once a day. If it is allergies, be sure to get the pills with out the heavy red die. In people the heavy red die gives what feels like a urinary track infection to some people. But when tested usually no urinary track infection shows. So why risk the discomfort for your dog.

My daughter has a beautiful dog with dermatitis mange. In an instance like this there are different things that can be done. For one a good bath using a flee tick and lice shampoo on the chance microscopic bugs are to blame, another is changing the food to lamb and rice. Some vet's say dog's have an allergic reaction to the beef in food. Also my daughter gives her dog omega three capsules. The same kind that people take. It puts oil in his skin and makes for a beautiful coat.

What was really interesting is when one of my daughters dogs got into the pine pitch, she used baby oil to get it out before bathing. She had to bath him twice, but he smelled good for several days after word. And his hair was beautiful!

P.S. If the dog has chewed and scratched him self raw in places, a vet may order an antibiotic to help heal it. Good luck with your dog.

It may be mange; or it could be allergies of some kind. It is definitely a dry skin condition; you can try bag balm on it; sometimes it can be found in the dog section at Walmart but it's a small can at an expensive price.

If you have a grange check there; also some drug stores may carry a larger can at a less expensive cost. Good luck!

Agree it could be allergies or some other skin problem or it could be the dog is stressed. Sometimes the food you're feeding the dog could be the cause. Really should get her checked out by your vet.

Does anyone with a mini dachshund have a pal with ear margin seborrhea with necrosis and vasculitis? Our vet has limited experience with this. He had a biopsy done on Tig's ears where the 'notching' is occurring. It was found not to be another thing called pemphigus, thankfully. He has him on Pentoxifylline liquid 1.2 ml two times a day. Please respond to my email if you have experience with this issue; I will very much appreciate it! Email me at: diana_sneddon AT bresnan.net Thanks!