Remedies for Cat Losing Hair

Category Cats
When your pet starts losing hair in localized spots it is important to determine the cause so that you can begin the proper treatment. This is a guide about remedies for cat losing hair.

My 4 month old kitten has 2 missing patches of fur and they bleed. I've been using peroxide to help heal it, but I don't know what is going on with her. Last week she appeared with the first patch and it's long and hard. Today when I came home from work she had another patch, so I put peroxide on them once again.

I want to know what could maybe be the causes of this or how to heal it without expensive vet bills. These patches just keep coming out of nowhere and I just don't know what to do. The only thing I can really think of is maybe it is because I got another kitten that's only a week apart from her and he's a boy. You can tell they really love each other and they are always playing and fighting together, but their fighting never looks that serious so idk what it could be.

Answers

Best Answer

Try coconut oil. It come in a jar, $4.99 at aladis or any grocery store. Warm the coconut oil and apply it the the cat's fur. I apply this oil on my cat on all the areas where her fur is coming out. At first, I apply it pretty much all over her. That helped a great deal as she has skin issues and an allergy. Coconut oil, it works wonders!

My cat is 2 and has been losing hair since I got her fixed. She is an inside cat and every time I touch her she moves or bites me. Does anyone know why she could be losing hair on the inside of her legs, belly, and a little on the front paws?

By Jess from East Berlin, PA

Answers

It could be a hormone imbalance. Many years ago, we had a cat that was spayed too early, and she then suffered from eczema. She needed a daily dose of Ovarid. You should check with a vet.

Sounds like an hormone imbalance. My vet once told me my cat had a hormone imbalance and I said, "Great, does that mean she has to be on a hormones for the rest of her life". No, one big pill did the trick. Then she was fine.

I presume you mean de-sexed and at what age? Talk to your veterinarian. Has she always moved/tried to bite you?

Check to see if they have fleas, that's what happened to my kitty.

Cats who lick excessively (barbering) ultimately end up removing hair and it may appear to be falling out. Barbering is usually an indication of an itch which may be the result of allergies or in the case of recent surgery may become habit as the incision heals and causes itching discomfort.
A trip to the vet after some careful observation will relieve kittie's discomfort and eliminate the need to lick to excess.

2 of my cats just had kittens, 4 weeks apart. This is the 3rd litter for 1 cat, and the 1st litter for the other. My 1st time mama was a smaller thin cat and started losing fur around the joints of her legs. Since the birth of her 4 babies, she has lost more fur on her legs and under her tail right by her rear end. I had her to the vet about 6 months ago and everything checked out. Could this be because she is a 1st time mama and she seems a little stressed out? Neither of my female cats nor the male have ever been outside.

By Diane from MN

Answers

Best Answer

This sounds like a nutritional deficiency to me.

When cats make milk, almost all the nutrition they take in goes to that milk to feed the kittens. If your cat was thin in the first place, then she wasn't in good enough condition to get pregnant and now she is ill.

Try to correct it by feeding her a much higher nutrition food.

What I'd really like to know is why you keep breeding kittens. Are they pedigreed cats? Do they have papers? If not, please have both cats spayed when they've weaned their kittens. So many things can go wrong with nursing mothers, and we already have enough kittens.

A couple of months after giving birth my cat began losing hair by her tail. And it seems as though it is spreading. This was the second time she had kittens, but this has never happened before.

My cat is 8 and spayed. She started to lose hair on her elbows and I thought she'd scraped it off somehow. I took her to the vet and after he said it was just flea allergies or her food I had him run all their tests and $350 later he said the same thing since all the skin tests and blood tests, etc. were normal. I changed her food, but she continues to pull on at spots, mainly her side and back. None of my other animals have any of this. I'd go to another vet, but it seems a cat expert is needed. Does anyone have anything you've tried and worked. I thought maybe hormones or a fungus, but have tried all sorts of things. I use the anti-itch stuff from Petco and then she's fine, but she hates being sprayed three or four times a week. Thank you to anyone who has the solution.

By Lori

Have a pet who lost all her coat because of a flea allergy. Most of her coat has been restored except for a spot on her neck. What can I do to restore that bald spot?

Denise from Beverly Hills, CA

Answers

Why are you not asking the vet who helped you eradicate the fleas? a phone call doesn't cost money!

Whenever my cat lost his fur, it seemed to grow back the following season. Cats get a lighter coat in spring/summer and a heavier coat in fall/winter. The fur might start growing, but would fill out the following season to the point where it wouldn't be noticable.

The hair should grow back naturally unless there is scar tissue there. I don't think hair can grow on a scar. I'm for asking your Vet. Best of luck from another cat lover.

I forgot to tell you in my last post that my cat's fur got really thick and full when I changed her food to Purina One in the blue bag. (She will not eat the Purina One Naturals.) It took an expensive trip to the animal hospital for me to shell out the extra money for Purina One. But once I saw how beautiful she looked and felt to my hands, I felt sorry I had deprived her of vital nutrients in the cheaper dry cat foods. (Just think how we might look if we ate better food! rofl) Again, best of luck always.

My 4 1/2 year old cat lost hair when I applied flea treatment. Is it normal for some cats to lose hair after a flea treatment? His hair fell out the next day after the treatment. There is no redness and his hair is growing back. Is it safe to give him another treatment when it is due? I bought the flea treatment at the SPCA.

I have 2 indoor cats and just recently moved twice in 2 months. They are both treated with Revolution. My 1 1/2 year old boy is licking the hair off his front arm and starting on the second going up his shoulder. He had fleas before, but I used Revolution and I don't see any fleas or flea dirt. I don't know what is wrong. He has a good food and no chicken. The older cat is 14 and she doesn't want to play. He tries, so could it be he's bored? Please help.

Any help for the flea prevention, and over grooming and any ideas on how to help with his nervousness, and any home remedies for any of these problems would be very appreciated. So if anybody can help with what I can put on his arms where he's over groomed, in a few spots he's almost at the skin like a buzz cut. Can I put anything on it to help with the itch or if it's hot. If there is anything natural, a home remedy?

By Mandy from Cornwall, Ontario

I have a rescue cat who has terrible dandruff. He sheds so much more than the other rescue cat I have. He leaves tremendous amounts of dandruff and hair wherever he goes. Brushing makes it worse (so the vet tells me). I need to know how to help this guy.

He makes just sitting with him uncomfortable, stroking is out of the question as he leaves so much hair and dandruff. I know cats shed, but this is beyond the pale. He really needs the love and attention of sitting in someone's lap and being stroked. It's just too unpleasant due to his dandruff. Does anyone have any ideas?

By Lynn from Cincinnati, OH

Answers

I have three cats, and one is an extreme shedder. I think some are just that way. You know Pigpen from the Peanuts cartoons? I compare her to him. Anywhere she goes, she leaves hair. It seems like you look at her, and her hair gets on you.

I wonder why your vet said that brushing makes it worse. I was talking to our vet about it, and she showed me a Furminator brush/comb. It's *really* effective. And Lizzie (the cat) loves it! When I'm going to brush her, I get a towel and spread it out on me first, then Liz hops up and I brush away. Afterwards there is enough hair for a kitten! I don't use it too often, though, because I've read that it can be overdone (I read about someone who was not paying attention, brushing her cat's hair while on the phone, and made a bald spot). Using the Furmitator on her every now and then seems to help with her shedding a little bit, although she still sheds more than the other two cats.

But if the vet says that brushing is a no-no, I guess you shouldn't do that. Did you discuss the cat's diet? I know diet can affect the skin/coat. You can do like me and spread a towel out when petting him, to help keep most of the fur/dandruff off of you. I have to go wash my hands after loving on Lizzie, and sometimes I have to change my shirt before cooking. I pay my daughter a dollar to clean our furniture with the Scotch Fur Fighter once a week. We've just learned to deal with it.

I'm glad that you're helping these cats. I hope you find a solution that works for you. Good luck!

It's possible your new rescue cat has a vitamin deficiency. Also, I read on the 'net that you could use "Olive Oil" (only) in drinking water daily and it helps condition the skin/fur in canines. Maybe in a few months you will see a difference. Just do a google search to find out how much olive oil to use in the water dish although cats don't drink as much water as a dog would. I wonder why the vet hasn't diagnosed the cat's condition and begun some time of treatment for it.
Good luck!

I have a cat that I love but had terrible dander that made me sneeze. I change her food to a different brand and it has gone away. Maybe he is allergic to corn or something in the food?

How long have you had this cat? Does it get along well with the others, or does it hide? I had a cat who shed terribly when she was at the vet's office. Of course she was terrified, and thus the shedding. I would follow up with my vet. Maybe it's a combined problem? Good luck to you.

Nzymes.com Will clear it up in 2 weeks. Suggest their product for absolute healing and help. No i don't sell it. I do rescue and have helped many animals with their granules. Healthy, nothing from China, not even their container, HA. You need to stop grocery store bought food. Ingredients are nothing but danger. Contain even euthanized pets (including the poison). Everything is loaded with corn filler. Corn is a big allergen. Cook or buy from specialty shop like a groomer who sells only natural, healthy like EVO, California natural, Nothing with corn wheat or soy. Likely your kitty had its immune system destroyed by vaccine. Read my past posts for all kinds of help. Kitty will be well, I promise you. Natural, easy remedy for intestinal worms, natural effective flea control. Stick with natural if at all possible. Vet when necessary.

This should not be ignored, if its painful for you to sit next to him, guess what its like for him to go through this. Take him to your local humane society which is less expensive and have him checked. Could be an allergy and ask them to shave him so he is more comfortable. Have mercy on him, he is your baby isn't he ?

Hi--go online to How.com and type in "cat losing hair and dandruff" and lots of things come up that should help you. Diet is likely the first clue, but make use of this website, really good for advice. I felt so sorry for your kitty when I read your post. He must be hurting so much. Hope you find some help. Barbara W.

I have a one year old cat that bites herself and pulls out her hair so much that she is almost bald and has sores all over. I use Advanage on her once a month and spray her with Veterinarian's Best Natural care Hot Spot Itch Relief spray with tea tree oil and soothing aloe. It sometimes seems to help, but then most of the time she gets worst.

By Veronica from Leesburg, FL

Answers

I would recommend that you take your cat to the vet and have him/her checked for several things. It could be stress or one of several medical conditions. Animals get stressed just like people. If you work and this happens mainly when you are gone your pet might be stressed and doing this in reaction to your being gone. You also might want to have your pet checked for thyroid problems. We had a cat a few years back that was losing her fur and she had problems with her thyroid. Hope it is just separation anxiety which is much cheaper to handle by getting her/him a companion animal. The thyroid means medication for the rest of your cat's life. There are other medical problems also that cause this. So your first thing to do is take your pet to the Vet and have it checked for any medical problems.

It's possible your cat has allergies to its food. You might want to use a grain-free cat food for a few weeks to a month to see if it will help. It's kind of pricey, but I recommend Evo Herring & Salmon. Cats LOVE it (even picky eaters) and it has 50% protein and NO grain!

Also, if your cat has really dry skin, try adding Salmon oil to its diet.

EVO:
http://www.evop  ault.asp?id=1704

ALSO: Here is a phone number for a high-end pet store near me (it's like a health-food store for pets) & they REALLY know their stuff. Call them and ask about your cat. They are super-friendly & open 9:AM to 9:PM PST.

MUD BAY PETS:
360-459-9200

Here is what I would do if I had this as one of my fosters.

First I would take away the spray with tea tree oil in it since cats can be harmed by tea tree oil.

Second, if the cat has a long coat, I would trim it, and then look for pustules or sores under the cat's coat.

All allergies, most of the time show up through the skin.

Buy a can of mackerel at the Dollar Store or Dollar General and give it a little each day.

Don't buy cheap cat food. Moist food is better than dry.
I would look for meat and not meat by products as a first ingredient.

Does the cat let you bathe her or him?
If the answer is no, then I would take a rag each and every day and have it wet with water, but not dripping, and go over the skin, softly, to the bottom of the skin where the hair starts to grow.

When you find sores, and you probably will, take a dosage syringe that you can buy at the drug store to give kids their RXs with, and fill it with peroxide. Quickly feel for a sore or bump and squirt it on the bump. Quietly with no fanfare, keep the cat near, if possible, make sure it doesn't lick the peroxide. After a minute or even less, wipe the peroxide off with a wet rag.

Never use a flea collar on a cat. They are nasty.
Do get a drop of olive oil and give it to the cat, maybe by putting it on it's paw.

I would also look into buying fish antibiotics and giving him or her a round of those, if you can't afford the vets. I will look up the dosages for the cat after you let me know what size and weight it is.

I would use Drs. Foster and Smith, in their fish supplies and get cephalaxin. I wish they sold z paks, but they don't.

I would do a kitten formula with two drops of infant vitamin added:

evaporated milk mixed with water
water
glop of mayonnaise
2 drops of infant vitamins

Tell me how t his works if you like.

Robyn

Anonymous

Some pets are highly allergic to flea medications. I second no tea tree oil and ditto taking her to the vet!

She sounds like she might be allergic to her food. My cat did the same thing. I switched food (from cheap Purina at the grocery store to Taste of the Wild venison and salmon flavored dry food. Any high end, specialized food with no grains and alternative proteins is best.) He loves his new food and he stopped chewing off his fur. It took over 2 months for his coat to grow back, but the itching stopped within about week or so. Good luck!

I forgot to tell you what I have been doing for my animals. I hate yeast and it is not good for animals at all, so I put 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar in a quart of water for them. Tis will change their chemistry or something like that in a course of a couple of weeks. It takes that long to start working. It is mainly for fleas not to like to bite them, but I use it for the yeast killing effect as well.

There is lots of info on earthclinic.com

Robyn

Do not feed grocery store cat food crap. Usual first ingredient is corn. You want no grains. You de-flea your house with natural product like dry 20 mule team Borax--leave for 2 weeks before you vacuum to go through eggs, larvae, and adults. The least amount of stress possible, warm sleeping quarters, soft bed and lots of love.

Hello,
I don't mean to scare you but my Woobie did that, and he had a severe medical problem. Please go to the Vet asap. It is not always caused by food. I have been a vet tech for over 27 years.

My cat has lost fur in one long straight strip on his back. He is 6. Can anyone help?

I have a sweet bobtail kitty girl named Bunny Baby. She's been spayed, is an indoor kitty. She is three years young and has a hypothesized diagnosis of potential

food/environmental allergies. At one point shortly after vaccinations and healing from her spaying operation, she developed a UTI. Her feline specialist vet recommended a diet change from grocery store brands of kibble and soft food to Purina One urinary support. And I was told to find a minimal ingredients, grain free wet food.

Her UTI went away, however she began to develop a bump just on the inner rim of her ear and her sister developed an ear infection after the gradual diet change. After another costly trip to the vet I was told to take both kitties off of the PO urinary support and we did the gradual diet switch again to Canaday pure grain free kibble and the same brand canned food along with Natural Balance and Pride by Instincts wet food.

As we have two kitties with different pallets. My kitty Bubbles, although tested and treated with prescribed medicine, never fully recovered from what was diagnosed as an allergic or fungal ear infection. Now, my sweet BB is licking the fur off her front legs. Both kittes rub their mouths vigorously on corners. Sometimes it seems too tough, like they are trying to scratch a serious itch. Otherwise they both seem happy and healthy.

My biggest concern about these issues is that the house we currently live in (and are trying to get out of as it has made me sick with allergies and severe sinus infection and headaches, fatigue) has a leaky roof and mold. The porch leaks moldy water on the floor. I groom them daily since the mold water began to drip. I give them the big lick, which is just a vigorous wipe down with a tablespoon of ACV and warm water. I am also putting coconut oil on BB to help with her legs which I have discovered that around the perimeter of the bald spots, is a little dry and scabby.

If anyone has advice besides going back to the vet; who only seems run tests and come to no firm conclusion yet prescribes meds that cost a ton and in the long run, don't even help my babies. I've literally spent thousands trying to get to the bottom of these symptoms the girls experience. Thank you all in advance!

My cat is a male 8 years of age. He started losing hair on his back. It started small and now it's getting bigger. What could it be? I am not working and have no money for a vet. I scared it will make my other cat sick. Please help me save his life. What should I do?

By Monique

My cat, who is about 8 years old, has hair loss on the inner thighs, and going all the way up. I've noticed on my bathroom sink there are spots of blood from her. Sometimes it looks like scabs with hair in them. She's never had allergies before.

By Sherry from IN

Answers

I have three cats; two are older than yours. We've never had this kind of problem with any of them. I suggest you give the vet's office a call. They can check for medical problems, and hopefully recommend treatment. Best of luck - hope your kitty feels better soon!

This happens to my cat when she gets fleas from the dog. Apparently she is very sensitive, or even allergic, to fleas. She loses hair on her legs and belly and starts to act very twitchy and paranoid. I would check her for "flea dirt" and see what you find.

Definitely sounds like an allergy. It could be to fleas or her food. My cat went through the exact same thing. I switched his food and give him flea medicine and he's much better. It's taken 6 weeks and his hair in not fully grown back in, but it is much better. He doesn't scratch as much now. Good luck. I'd definitely take your cat to see the vet.

Sherry: I've told others about a product called nzymes found at nzymes.com. It sounds like allergies and allergies are really bad this year. She could be pulling her fur out and that's why you see blood at times. I tried allergy shots with our dog and he got so much worse that I had to stop them. You can make a solution of baking soda with water (about 4 Tab & spay bottle of watter) but she won't like it. Also listerine with water helps (1/2 and1/2)

Why is my cat losing hair on his butt/genital area?

She was born with one eye and a deformed mouth. She only has four teeth so she doesn't eat dry food only the tinned mackerel. My cat is losing the hair around her neck. My wife gave my cat a birth control pill in her water and now she is losing hair around her neck. What can be done?

My cat is an about 9 - 10 week old rescue and his owner was neglectful. They let him get bitten by fleas, which are gone and he has small patches of fur missing on his arms, face, and ears. I am starting to get concerned even though people say it will grow back. He's happy and seems healthy, but I just want to make sure.

My short haired cat seems to molt excessively all year round. It is driving me crazy. Is combing her regularly actually encouraging the growth as its getting to the point when I'm starting to believe she is molting on purpose just to wind me up or get extra attention? Haha!

I have a 1 year old female cat who very recently started losing hair on her ears, back of head and neck, and down almost to her shoulder blades in some spots. It's pretty uniform across her ears and back of head and then when it gets lower it's just in spots. I thought it could be because I'd gotten a new collar, but I took it off and she's still losing hair. We did just get a new pet, but since we got her we've added 8 other pets and she's never had a reaction like this. No changes in behavior. The only significant change has been the addition of wet food to her and our other cat's dry food once a day. They split one of the small cans between the two of them. Since I started doing that she has gained some weight and it's been since then that she started losing the hair. Is it possible that she's having allergies to wet food that she didn't have to dry only?

My cat is losing a lot of his hair in patches all over his body and losing weight and has scabs. It mostly happens in the summer. What could this be and how can I stop it from happening?

I have a 1 year cat, Kendell. On the back of her neck right between the shoulders she's got a patch of fur gone. Now it's all red from it bothering her. I only noticed it right around the first time she went into heat for first time. I have no income so I can't go to a vet:( Is there something at home I can do? Please anyone help! Thank you.

My cat is licking and biting on his back near his tail. His lovely mane is disappearing too.

By Mrs Earl

My 7 year old cat had a cyst removed on his right shoulder blade last Wednesday. The next day I noticed he was shedding a lot and there was a patch of fur gone! Now today I've noticed another bald patch. They're both on the left shoulder blade. Any ideas? I've been giving him tramadol for a pain reliever here and there.

By Nicole

I have a 2 year old indoor cat and she is shedding more than normal and has dandruff on the top of her back. I haven't seen any bald spots or missing hair. She isn't scratching or acting abnormal. What can I do for her?

By Richard

My cat seems to be losing fur on her belly. It is slow growing. She had a pink spot there, l put medicine on it, but it still stays there. It is not growing bigger with the medicine, but her fur loss is growing. I am not sure what is going on.

My cat is starting to get a bald patch at the base of her tail. My other cat is fine. Both have been on the same diet for ever and ever, no lice, ticks, or fleas found. There are no worms present. She does lick the spot. Is there anything I can spray maybe on her to stop the licking? Thanks a bunch for any help. I love my cats as much as life more than that anyway.

My cat is losing hair on his back. It turns red and then it comes out. Any help?

My 8 year old male cat has a spot on his left side just bigger than a quarter with no fur there. It has been there for a few weeks and does not appear to bother him. He doesn't scratch at it and I can touch it just fine. I assumed when I first noticed it that it was from him playing with my other cat or catching the fur on something. However I just noticed a second spot in the right side that is much smaller. Any ideas?

A few months ago my mom found my cat, Luna, under our house half-dead. We figured she had feline leukemia. A few weeks later she got better. It was a week after she got better from her disease, or whatever, that she began losing fur. I mean this cat is just having a bad life so far lol. It spreaded to the beginning of her tail and now it is growing back white.

My cat has severe hair loss. It started off around his groin and has spread all over his body and he is always licking himself. What can I do because it has spread to my other cat, although it's only a small amount of hair loss.

By Cody

I have a 2 1/2 yr old male cat. He has been spaded. He has recently been losing patches of fur on his right side, on his belly, and on his inner hide legs. I just noticed within the last couple days that he has a new spot on the left side of his belly. When it first started it looked like he had 2 teeth marks on the right side of his belly and it just got worse from there. When he starts losing a new patch it's got a red/pink tint to it, then goes away within a day or so. It doesn't seem to bother him, although, he doesn't like being picked up, not unless you're almost too easy with him. (sometime new). He is still his same old silly, loving cat. I would like to get some kind of idea of what this could be before taking him to the vat. I also have another cat, but she is fine.

By Jade D.

Load More