Cat Losing Fur Near Surgical Site

My 7 year old cat had a cyst removed on his right shoulder blade last Wednesday. The next day I noticed he was shedding a lot and there was a patch of fur gone! Now today I've noticed another bald patch. They're both on the left shoulder blade. Any ideas? I've been giving him tramadol for a pain reliever here and there.

By Nicole

Best Answer

Feline endocrine alopecia: Thinning or balding of the coat on insides of the back legs, lower abdomen, and genital area. Distribution is symmetrical. Occurs most often in neutered males and spayed females.

Your comment seems just what is going on with my outdoor feral kitty. I cannot handle her to apply any meds. When you say endocrine- that tells me it is something hormonal ?

Can you suggest some help given my situation with her ? she gets grocery store wet food & kibble. Have been feeding her for a few years now with no issues. She is spayed.

If your kitty was in good health, prior to the surgery, it could be only "trauma" which in time, will resolve itself.

I would call the vet and let them know though, and they may want you to bring your kitty in to check to make sure all is okay.

That can happen to people too, trauma to the body can cause hair shedding or loss of hair in patches and usually when things calm down, the hair will grow right back.

What does the vet say? The vet who did the surgery is your first and best source of information regarding any complications that have arisen post-op.

Did your vet say it was OK to give Tramadal? I would let him/her know what is happening.