Growing Morning Glory from Seeds

I planted 4 oz of heavenly blue morning glory seeds. What is the estimated yield of seed?

By Moonstone420 from NC

Best Answer

They grow tons of darling vines!

I have seeds from mine that come up every year from the seed pods they leave on the vines at the end of growing season. I usually keep these and replant them. But as for the naturally sowed ones, they come up about the first of June maybe sometime in May. Morning Glories are my favorite, and that is good, because my Mom loves them too and that is why I have covered the fence with them. I am going to buy more seed this year and sprinkle it out along the growing area. They are great, to bring in and put in a glass of water... they are so fun!

Robyn

I read somewhere that morning glories are in the same family as the sweet potato! Sweet Potatoes make great vines too!

Robyn

I also love M G vines, I have them growing on our patio & fence, they are so pretty in the spring & summer, good luck.

Morning glory seeds are larger, right? But 4 ounces is a lot. My guess is you'll have more than you bargained for, but they are lovely. Keep watered until they 'pop' up because the shell of the seed is rather hard, and I imagine won't crack right away. Next time you could also try presprouting using any sprouting method you choose, and then carefully plant, making sure not to break off the little sprout.

4oz is a lot!. I get a little seed pack & have enough. But, (Zone6) I soak them overnight then plant in a "peat pellet" because they don't like transplanting. I get about 90% germination.. & as you probably know, the seeds from these new plants will not give you blue flowers the next year, unfortunately.

Purple Morning Glory
Growing Morning Glory
Home and Garden Gardening SeedsApril 8, 2010
Blue and pinkish purple morning glory blooms.
Getting Rid of Morning Glory
A morning glory vine in bloom.
Morning Glories Not Flowering
Morning glory flowers in a hanging basket.
Growing Morning Glory in Containers
Growing Morning Glory from Cuttings
Growing Morning Glory from Cuttings
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 23, 2017 at 7:09:24 PM on 10.0.1.80 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.