How Do I Treat a Cut on My Dog?

I own a Japanese Akita; it's 6 months old. It has a cut due to the tightness of the harness. I was wondering if I could get any help on treating the dog's cut.

Thanks.

By Shane

Hi Shane. I'm assuming this is not a severe cut that needs stitches and that you have readjusted the harness. That said, treat it as if you had the same cut, flush it out with hydrogen peroxide, let dry for a minute or so, and rub on an anti-bacterial cream. Do this at least three times a day and watch for any signs of infection. If it does get infected, call your vet. Hope the fur guy heals quickly! :-)

Ditto on KansasCindy's post on the severity of the cut and whether or not you have an extensive infection going on there. If there's more than a 1/4 inch of redness/pus/ooze/odor around the wound area. I'd be off to the vet for oral antibiotics.

If it's minor, agree with using the peroxide and a triple antibiotic, generic drugstore brand works fine.

In the meantime, though, think I'd keep the harness off altogether until the area is healed. Switch to a sturdy collar and a shorter leash if you're concerned about controlling the dog on a walk without the harness.

Try to be sure you rub in the ointment well so the dog can't lick it off (if he/she can reach it), which could cause even more problems. And don't use the harness as is. Readjust it or use something else. You know what it's like if our shoes don't fit right and cause a blister. We don't keep wearing them as is. Good luck!

Have you considered a Bridle type Halter for puppy this controls the head (just like a horse) with no harm to the animal. Don't wait for infection to appear consult your Veterinarian. Good luck.

Injured dog wearing a dish.
Treating a Small Cut on Your Dog
Pets Dogs AdviceFebruary 23, 2011
Shortbread cookies.
Gluten Free Shortbread Recipes
Displaying Cut Flowers Outside
Displaying Cut Flowers Outside
Halloween Hot Dog Fingers
Halloween Hot Dog Fingers
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
🎄