Dyeing with Bleach

I have a blue baby hammock which I really want to be white. Can anyone tell me the best way to go about doing this? Obviously, I'll have to use bleach, but can I put it in my washing machine? Or will I have to mess about with buckets. Will normal household bleach do the job? Or do I need a certain kind? If I can put it in the washing machine, how much do I put in and do I have to wash it again afterwards to make sure all the bleach is out? Any suggestions, much appreciated, Thanks.

Viv from UK

I've got a feeling that no matter how much bleach that you use, that not all of the color will come out. And if you bleach the heck out of it, the chlorine in the bleach will weaken the fibers of the hammock. Also, can you remove the wooden frame to do this? It's sort of ironic that you should want to remove the color, because I have a white hammock that I would like to put some color in. That's why I was wondering about the wood at the top and bottom being removeable; mine is not, so my hammock will stay white. Interesting. Any other suggestions? Good luck.

My suggestion is that if you do decide to use the bleach, you resign yourself to bleaching out the fabric a light layer of color at a time. Bleach in full strength quantity is very caustic to even the heaviest of cotton fabrics, weakening and breaking them down, likely even causing holes in the fabric.

Also, be aware, that even some fabrics labeled "100% Cotton" can yellow with bleaching, and any fabric containing nylon or a similar blend will definitely yellow.

Oh! I hope you don't mind if I give some input on your post, heaven4441.

I'm an artist and I "paint canvas" all the time. :) You should certainly be able to do the same with your white hammock.

At the art store of your choice you can buy whatever color of acrylic paint you'd like (prices vary depending upon the quality & quantity of pigment in the color); I suggest using a single pigment color. Mix it with water and some "slo-dry medium" (to extend it & slow the drying time, as acrylic dries very fast) Mix it to a watery-thin consistency, and with a large house-painting type brush, paint away.

The medium you mixed in will keep the paint colorfast and act as a weather protectant once it dries. You may have to do more than one very thin coating in order to obtain the depth of color you desire, while still keeping the canvas pliable.

I do believe this will work rather nicely, but if you're not sure about trying it on the hammock, you could buy a piece of heavy canvas @ the fabric store to practice on first.

Interesting. I never thought about painting it; I should have posted a question about it instead of thinking that white would be the color forevermore. Thanks!

Bleach is probably the best thing to use but I feel like it doesn't make things really white - kind of yellow. I would follow up with a wash of baking soda which makes everything very white.

Bleach and a hammock? A weakening liquid. A little may not hurt, but to much and ouch, you just fell through your weaken hammock. Ker bang!

Home and Garden Cleaning FabricOctober 3, 2008
Bleach Stains on Red Shirt
Removing Bleach Stains From Clothing
Bleach Bottle on White Background
Crafts Using Bleach Bottles
Bleach Stains On Red T-Shirt
Preventing Bleach Stains on Clothing
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Cleaning Yellow Bleach Stains in a Plastic Bathtub
🎄
🍂