Is My Puppy Purebred?

I have a 4 month old Shetland Sheepdog that I just adore. She was a bit pricey (full papered and what-not) and I want to get a second one to keep her company. I found one without papers, the same age, but a very unusual color. She is almost solid black, with a little white on her chest (not full collar white) and paws. Based on the picture (and keeping in mind that this is a 4 month old pup) does this appear to be a purebred Sheltie?

Stacey from Dorr, MI

I am just curious why you need a purebred, unless you plan on breeding (in which case, you would want papers)? The puppy looks adorable, and if it gets along with the dog that you have, it sounds like a good match.

I've never heard of a black sheltie...but what do I know! Go to the AKC web site and see what they say about that. She's cute!

My aunt if a collie/sheltie breeder. I have never seen a black and white sheltie. Only tri colored, sable, blue, and white.

Jilson,

In response to your question- I've rescued, fostered, rehabilitated, and adopted out numerous dogs over the past few years. No, I am not a breeder, but I have a special place in my heart for Shelties. I suppose I feel that since I have helped so many dogs (of a variety of breeds and mixes) find wonderful homes, I shouldn't feel guilty about finally looking for my favorite breed. Since the second Sheltie would just be a companion, she would be spayed immediately and just be enjoyed as a pet. I have "mutts" to that I adore just as much. Since I have done my part to help out the animal world, (and will continue to do so) there is no reason for anyone to be judgemental about me wanting a purebred.

Looks like a purebred to me. very cute. As long as you like him and it gets along with your other dog, seems OK. The other responses are correct, doesn't matter unless you plan to breed, in which case you would have to have papers. Otherwise don't forget to neuter/spay your pets for a long healthy life. You can do this as young as 6 months old. Good luck and enjoy. Here is a pic of a black and white sheltie pup.

Stacey, I am sorry--I certainly didn't mean to sound judgemental! The fact that you're considering a dog without papers is testamony to your not being picky. I was just curious if Shelties get along better with other shelties, or if there was another reason not to mix them. I didn't mean to sound like I was questioning your decision.

That puppy looks almost like their could be border collie in it. Sure is cute, though.

I have seen kits at our local pet supply store, and have heard of vets that will take swabs for genetic testing to determine the makeup of a family dog.

These tests are usually marketed to people with mutts to determine how many different "flavors" our dogs are made of. Results are supposed to be fairly conclusive and it might be a way to go if this question is really making you crazy, but I think the tests run something like $60-100.

We considered it for our pup Gus as a fun thing to do but decided a $60 kit was too much to spend for a fun test since it doesn't change Gus any.

I've had Shelties also and I'm thinking your puppy is Border Collie. Either one is a very good dog breed. I'm not an expert so don't take what I say as law, I'm just guessing from my own experience. I couldn't pass up a cutie like that, papers or not. Shelties look like a small Lassie. Big fur balls with short legs.I'd ask my vet.

Shelties do come in black and white without any other color. They are called Bi-black. I had one for years and every time I took her out in public, Sheltie breeders seemed to appear from nowhere to ask about breeding or showing her. (She was a badly abused rescue and had been spayed so we were delighted with her as a dearly loved pet and a service dog to my aged mother.)

Stacey, I don't know if you will see this after all this time, but we were very excited when we saw your picture. This is our dog! I'm guessing you saw her in South Haven, Mi? We bought her on Jan. 2, 2009, and she has the exact same markings as the one in your picture. Here is a picture of her at 8 months. Her name is Brooklyn. We are glad you didn't choose to buy her, because she is the most wonderful dog! She is so sweet and incredibly focused in obedience. Some people have thought she was a Border collie, but those who are familiar with Shelties believe she is purebred.

Hi, again. Just wanted to post another picture so you could see her better. We would love to hear from you. What a strange coincidence.

Pets Dogs AdviceDecember 31, 2008
House Training a Pit Bull
House Training a Pit Bull Puppy
french bulldog puppy
Treating Fleas on a Puppy
A cute black puppy chewing on its owners finger.
Teething Advice for Puppies
"Puppy Love" Puppy Chow
Puppy Chow Snack Recipes
🎄