How to Tell if Your Dog is Purebred

Purebred Dog at Vet
The only sure way to determine whether a dog is purebred is DNA testing. This is a guide about how to tell if your dog is purebred.

This is an unusual, but interesting dog tip. The palate of a pure bred dog's mouth is one solid color from the very front of it's mouth to all the way to the back of it's throat, where a mixed breed isn't. Over the years I've looked at my friends' dogs' palates, both purebred and mixed, and found it sort of amazing.

I witnessed this several years ago at an Obedience Trial when this one lady said her dog was a Labrador Retriever and that she had papers on the dog. One look at the dog told the judges and spectators that the lady's dog was not a full blooded Labrador and she argued with the Ring Judge over it. I felt bad for the dog, the lady made a huge stink over it causing a small scene until the judge asked three different Labrador owners and their dogs into the ring and inspected the palate of all 4 dogs, with their owners. She wasn't permitted to show and still argued with the judge and was finally asked to leave the premises. Keep in mind that this was many, many years ago. Last year the AKC ruled that a mixed breed dog can be shown in Obedience as long as it is spayed or neutered.

By CaroleeRose from Madison, AL

Top Comment

Agree with Deeli; if your dog is AKC registered, there's a mandatory DNA database for the sire and dam--that's the indicator of whether or not your pup is purebred.

Within all breeds there are show standards and variations; example from a pal who used to show Rotties; the breed show preference is for a dog with black lips and interior mouth, yet there are pups within the same litter with pink lips and dappled-colored skin inside the mouth, same mother, same father, same purebred line. You may not want to show them, but they're full-blooded Rotties just the same.

Interesting post, but I wouldn't be banging down a reputable breeder's door if the inside of the dog's mouth is a horse of a different color. On a side note, though, in some breeds, purebreds are more apt to have cleft palates than mixes; I'd be more concerned about checking my dog for that than worrying about color variations.

Top Comment

Any vet will tell you that this is not true.

Would this trait also hold true with a cat?

Wow, I've never heard that before!