Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

How Can Kids and Young Adults Make Money?

2 0EmailFollow

Children and young adults often have difficulty finding ways to make some money for things they would like to buy or for savings. This is a guide about how can kids and young adults make money?

Solutions: How Can Kids and Young Adults Make Money?

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: 10 Ways for Kids to Earn Money

It is a very valuable lesson for kids to work for what they want. Here are 10 great ways for kids to earn money.

1 — Wash Cars

Whether you do a large scale car wash or just offer to wash the cars of family and neighbors, it is a great way to earn money.

Young teen boy washing the car.

2 — Do Chores

Many people don't have time to get everything done around the house. Offering to help at home or helping out someone you know, can be a great way to earn a few bucks.

Young teen girl washing dishes.

3 — Lemonade Stand

With summer just around the corner a lemonade stand can be a great opportunity, particularly for younger kids.

Kids selling lemonade.

4 — Become a Lifeguard

If you live in an area with lakes or public pools, lifegaurding can be a great way to earn some money.

Teen girl at the beach wearing a lifeguard hoodie.

5 — Pet Sitting and House Sitting

Pet sitting (or house sitting) can be a great job to help out family, friends, and neighbors. Being able to drive can make it easier to take on multiple jobs at once.

Teen girl with a black dog.

6 — Babysitting

Babysitting can be a fun and easy to find way to earn money. Many families are in need of a babysitter. If you enjoy kids, this is a great way to earn money.

Older boy and two younger boys making faces.

7 — Mowing Lawns

Many people are more than happy to let someone else mow their lawn. Offering to help mow someone's lawn can save them a lot of money on yard service, while helping you to make some extra money.

Teen girl mowing the lawn.

8 — Tutoring Younger Kids

Tutoring is a great job for older teens. Helping out another student can help them out with a difficult class, while allowing you to reinforce your knowledge of subject.

Older girl tutoring a young boy at the library.

9 — Throw a Yard Sale

Whether you just have a few things to sell, or you offer to organize a larger sale that includes other people's stuff, yard sales are a good way to declutter your room and make some money.

People at a yard sale.

10 — Yardwork

Yardwork can be difficult for some people, due to lack of time or health reasons. Offering to help your family or a neighbor can be a great job that allows you to be outside while earning money.

Teen girl with a wheelbarrow.

By

Tip: House Sitting Service During the Summer

I am 14 and I put up posters around town for my house sitting service during the summer. Before long, I had 5 different jobs lined up. I charged 5-10 dollars a day, depending on how much work it was. I made over four hundred dollar in about 8 months.

By

Tip: Craft Camp as Summer Job

I'm 13, with sisters of 11 and 9. We live in a community with lots of little kids. In the summer, we hand out fliers and set up crafts. We also have a trampoline. We set out crafts and snacks and then charge about $4 an hour.

We take care of around 15 kids at the time. Last summer, we made over $300. The kids were a little resentful at first, but now they love us. It's a good job and pays well.

By

Article: How Can Kids and Young Adults Make Money?

How Can Kids and Young Adults Make Money?We have been getting a lot of requests from young folks looking for ways to make money before school starts. Here are some Brainstormed ideas for them by the ThriftyFun community. What are your tips for what kids can do to make money? Post them below.

Susan from ThriftyFun

Very Important: Before starting any job or trying any money making ideas, you should run them by your parents.

Pet Sitting

How about starting a pet sitting service for neighbors who are going on vacation? The kids can feed and play with cats, change litter; walk and feed dogs; feed birds and fish and keep their respective homes clean and uncluttered. This works well for city as well as suburban dwellers. My son put a sign up on the bulletin board in near the mailboxes in our building and had a very successful (financially) summer.

By Alice

Errands for Elderly Neighbors

The old standbys are yard work, pet sitting, and car washing. How about running errands in the neighborhood? In small towns or in areas where there is a grocery store close by, elderly folks or someone who can't get out, might be thankful to have someone run to the store to pick up milk, bread or other small items for them. Make up a brochure and leave it with folks who can then call you when they need your service. Another thing that could be done is assisting with light housekeeping such as taking out the garbage, vacuuming, dusting, emptying the dishwasher, folding clothes, matching socks, etc.

By Sandi

Wash Cars

How about asking your parents if you could wash their car? Cars are constantly getting dirty (thanks to the birds), meaning they always need cleaning. Ask your parents for $20 per car you clean and you should be making tons of money by the end of the week. Hey, and maybe while you're cleaning their car, someone might ask you to do theirs too. A business in the making.

By Kandi

Start Working Before You Are 16

This may be a little too "mainstream" but we just got our 14 (almost 15) year old daughter a job at McDonald's. They will hire kids that young. Personally, I believe teaching our kids to work is one of the best things we can do for them. Even if they "hate" the job, it teaches them a lot. Also, our daughter has taken lifeguard training through the park system and when she is 16, if she passes certification, will be able to get a lifeguard job. If your child is into sports, umpiring is a way to earn money. Normally, there is some sort of training before the season starts. Country clubs may hire kids to caddy. Of course, these are not "occasional" types of jobs just to earn a little spending money and won't work if that is what they want to do.

By Jan

Be a Class Helper

If you have a local dance class in your area, ask the teacher if they need any help passing out supplies. My two sons volunteer at the local YMCA dance classes for kids ages 4-6. My boys are 9 and 12. The boys help out in classes after school twice a week and the teacher generously pays them $10 a week. The boys enjoy helping out and are proud of their earnings. It also teaches the boy responsibility.

By Kelly

Garage Sale

They can have a garage sale if they have old things they need to give away.

By Celeste

Invest In A Lawn Mower

Ok, the absolute best way for any kid who is responsible enough to make money in the long run is to buy a lawn mower, preferably a riding one, and offer to cut grass. This may seem unrealistic but let me explain. One could ask his/her parents to take him/her to the bank and get a loan for however much the lawn mower would cost. (around $1000) Now, go and buy a lawnmower that is capable of vacuuming the leaves and grass and other debris into bins, THIS IS CRUCIAL. Now you may cut grass professionaly in the summer and vacuum leaves professionaly in the fall! Considering you make $20 a yard, cut at least 2 yards a day, you will make $560 a month! The lawnmower will be paid off if you work hard in June and July. August through November, you will make money! Roughly $2000! Then you store the lawn mower until spring where you can continue the business in the spring, summer, and fall of next year!

By Keith

Lemonade Stand And More Tips

The kids sold lemonade and cookies during our neighborhood garage sale. They made $30! That was profit, paying back Mom for supplies. The kids will also be pet-sitting, which they love animals. Last year my son cut the neighbor's lawn and house-sat while they were on vacation. Sometimes the kids have the best ideas given the chance.

By Amy

Hold a Car Wash, Yard Sale And Other Ideas

My kids make extra money by holding a " new school clothes" fund raising car wash. My 11 year old cares for pets while neighbors are out of town, just about twice a month, for $10 a day! She just made $40 this weekend! They also host a "fund raiser yard sale" where they sale their clothes that they can't wear anymore. Usually we donate old clothes though. Tell them to get creative! What is something they are good at, like soccer. They can host a "soccer camp" in their backyard one week.

By Becky from Alabama

Neighborhood Newsletter

How about starting your own little neighborhood newsletter using your own computer and printer? First you print up a sample newsletter with nothing but neighborhood news (A lot of good news) Then pass out this newsletter to your defined neighborhood. Now you can charge your neighbors a subscription for this letter, but it would be better off to give it to them free. What you make your money on is selling ads to all those youth like yourself that need neighborhood jobs. So much for a ad for a 10 year old dogwalker or a 13 year old car washer. Sell your ads by each edition whether it be weekly, bi weekly or monthly. Make sure you set up a space in your free edition telling all the neighbors that you are selling ads. Oh, you can also list yard sales, cars for sale or furniture, whatever. You won't become rich but I'll bet you can earn enough to get your IPod.

Neighborhood News Flash: Mr. Thrifty Is Gone

By Mr. Thrifty

Get Paid For Chores or Babysitting

I saw a TV show one time and the father had an absolutely wonderful idea. His son broke one of his electronic games. His father who was very wealthy refused to buy a new one and made his son earn money to buy a new one. So for each chore he did, (cleaning up the kitchen, taking out the trash, washing dishes, emptying the dishwasher, etc) he got a $1.00. Each week he was paid for each item he did. The more he did, the more he got paid. Why couldn't a child do something like this for money. Any working parent would probably love to have kids help out around the house, especially after a long hard day at work. I know I would surely pay my kids to help out with chores around the house. Or do what I did my whole childhood, babysit. I had so many babysitting gigs I had to turn them down. There are tons of families out there who need responsible teens to babysit all summer long while school is out.

By Connie

Get A Paper Route

You can get a job at the local papershop by doing a paper route.

By Hannah

Making Money Advice

There is no such thing as making money "fast and easy". One may make money, yes, but it is a slow process and, at the same time, one has to SAVE! I agree with Sandy: yard work, cleaning, running errands, car washing, anything legal. Target single parents and the elderly, who may need someone to help. They may not be able to pay much, but if you save what you earn, you will also earn interest and eventually, you will get there! Also, make sure you know the difference between a wish and a want. Good luck!

By Willem

My elderly parents always wished they could hire kids to do the things their own kids used to do - like wash cars, mow the lawn, shovel snow from driveways, etc. Try approaching the senior citizens in your area and see if they have work to do, errands to run. Maybe you could take them grocery shopping, take them to the doctor's, run errands and so on.

When I was a kid, I also had a flare for running children's birthday parties, playing games and so on. I picked up money that way, too.

How about setting up a "summer camp" program for the little kids in the neighborhood and entertain them with crafts and games a few hours a day?

By pamphyila

Great Ideas To Make Money

Ask your parents if you can use their lawn mower to mow people's grass. Offer to help pay for the gas with what you make.

Set up a mini daycamp for kids. It would just take a few hours a day but give the parent's a chance to run to the grocery store, clean, read a book or have a few friends over.

Talk to people in your neighborhood to see when they are going on vacation. Offer to take in the mail, newspaper, water the plants, take out the garbage/recycling, etc.

Find people that will hire you to walk their dog. Ask the same people if they will pay you to pick up after the dog. Not a glamorous job but I think you will find many people would pay for this.

Make some small crafts and sell them. Friendship bracelets, fun frames, whatever you have for crafts, see what you can make. If you live in an area where you have some traffic, set up a table similar to a lemonade stand.

Have a kid/teen garage sale. Advertise as this and get rid of the things that you no longer need but another kid would think is really cool.

Decorate/paint t-shirts and sell them.

Think out of the box for ideas.

By CRMom

Advice From Other Kids

I'm, 11 and I really want an Xbox 360. I asked my mom if I could do extra stuff around the house and I get about $5 a day. But I'm done with all of that in a hurry. I want to do extra jobs, sometimes I work at my mom and dad's place and I get $5 an hour.

By Joey

I suggest mowing lawns. I'm 12 with a busy life and do it every Sunday. This way, I build muscles and get $10 an hour, that's an average of $50 on Sunday, alone.

By Matthew

I'm 13 and I luv fixin cars so my cousin put me in Quick Fit. Without him, I couldn't work there. Now that I work there, I get money and experience. Every Saturday, I get 80 pounds.

By Rizwan

One thing you could do that I've done over the summer is maybe get together with a couple of friends and start your own business like that. For instance "S&S Landscaping" and come up with something you both enjoy. That is how you make the most money. One thing I did to make money is buy bumper stickers for $0.99 then raise the price and sell them at $4.99. You could make a bumper sticker with your town's initials and sell them for that much more and make that much more profit!

By J-Dub

Well, what you can do is you can sell lemonade. Make flyers and hang them up and on any certain day, you can have a lemonade sell, $0.50 per cup. I've done it and altogether we got $40.00. Have a friend with you.

By Shaina

OK, well, if you play soccer, then refereeing is a great thing to do. You need to contact someone who is part of the soccer league in your town and get the information, take a course, and buy supplies. After you ref a few games, the cost of the course and uniform is gone. Seriously, this job is amazing. For 9-10 year olds, you make $16 per game, and for 11-12 year olds, you make $25. It is even more for older players but since you have to be older than the kids you ref, I don't know about the other rates.

By guyonthesidewalk

Well, you could sell stuff that you don't use anymore. Once I sold some old stuff and I got $200.00.

By LOZZ

I think that kids should be able to work at restaurants and places like Kroger or Target. We need the money too, not just 15 or 16 year olds. Many people don't need their car washed or their lawn mowed, and, even if they did, they wouldn't hire kids that are 12 and under. <3 Good Luck

By hello

If you have some old video games or DVD's laying around, you should bring them to EB Games or Gamestop. They let you exchange the games/systems for some cash. An average working game usually gets about $10, depending on what it is- so that can really add up if you don't play a lot of your games. An entire video game system is even more- plus there's the controllers, which adds more money to the total.

By Christine

Article: "Mom I Need A Job!": How Kids And Teens Can Earn Some Cash

Here is a list of things that you can do to earn some cash for that something special you always wanted. There are many things you can do that are better than setting up a lemonade stand in your front yard.

One of the first things you need to do is get some recommendations from your school teachers, parents, and friends. These are like a job reference that you would get if you were getting a job. Ask them to write a letter for you to say how trustworthy and reliable you are. You can show these to prospective customers. If you mowed Grandpa's lawn all last summer, ask him to write you a recommendation letter. If you watched your sister's kids for an evening, get her to write a letter also. Ask them nicely to include their contact information so that your customers can call them and ask questions about you. This shows prospective customers that you have had responsibility in the past and you know how to handle it.

Second, you need to think about what you can reasonably do without a lot of help from your parents. That's not to say they can't help you but it is better if your money earning adventure does not interfere too much with your parent's lives. If your parents have to drive you everyday, you may find they are not very supportive of your efforts. Now that you have decided on what you would like to do, make a business plan. You need to figure out how many free hours that you will have available, will there be any equipment you will need to purchase to start your business, who in your neighborhood will be your target customers? In other words, who will you sell your product to? What are you going to charge? Will you need transportation? If you have a bike and can ride it to and from your jobs, it will make it even easier. Write all of this down on a piece of paper. Now present your ideas to your parents. You want them to let you do this, right? Maybe you will need to borrow the family lawn mower or other garden equipment. So sell yourself. Tell your parents that you really can do this by yourself and show them your business plan.

Next, you will want to make flyers to put up at the local grocery store and anywhere else that has a public bulletin board. You will also want to use word of mouth advertising. Tell everyone that you are willing to work and what you do. Be up front with what you charge. Don't undercut your rates but keep them reasonable. Your parents should be able to help you figure out a good amount to charge. You also might want to make up a calling card that you can give to people that you meet. Have your name, phone number and what you do right there on your card, kind of like a business card. Be sure to show people your recommendation letters and tell them they can contact these people to ask about you. Remember that these are only temporary jobs and when the job is over, remember to ask the person you worked for to write you a recommendation letter. Now here are some ideas of what you can do:

• Run a Sports Clinic: Are you the high school basketball star? Hit more home runs then Babe Ruth? A better soccer player than Pele? Put your talent to use and run a one day sports clinic to teach the basics to kids. You will need to put a time limit on your clinic and keep it to three or four kids maximum but you can charge 25 -30 bucks per kid for a 2 hour session. Hold it at your local park and bring your sports gear. Work on basic moves and plays.

• Be a Dog Walker: Do you love animals and get along well with them? Lots of people don't have time to walk their pets. Make a flyer and let it be known that you are willing to walk their pets for them. Be sure to include an hourly rate. Get yourself a timer and you're off and running.

• Computer Expert: A lot of us did not grow up learning about computers and there are some people, especially older folks, who could use lessons on how to email, use the word processor and how to download or upload pictures or programs. Hire yourself out as their personal computer coach. Charge a reasonable hourly wage and you will find yourself, by word of mouth, swamped with people wanting to learn. You also might take this to a community senior center and teach classes there. With your parents help, you should be able to come up with a fee per person for your classes. Be polite and patient with your students and your parents will be proud that they bought you that computer.

• Shovel Snow: Now I would not suggest that, with the snow we have had in many parts of the country, you would want to clear snow forever but it can be a great way to make some quick cash. Come equipped with a shovel and ring your neighbors' doorbells. If you charge a reasonable rate, which you and your parents can figure out together, you will probably find your neighbors would rather pay you than do it themselves.

• Music Teacher: Did your parents make you take piano or guitar for most of your life? Are you pretty accomplished at playing? If so, you are probably good enough to teach the basics to a beginner. Charge an hourly rate for lessons and be sure that they provide their own instrument unless your parents will allow your students over to use yours.

• Performer: Do you have a special talent? Maybe you sing well or can play piano. You can hire yourself out to sing or to play music at many functions. Many people getting married would like to have someone to sing live at their ceremony but don't know who to hire. This would work well if you are a teen who can read music and can sing.

• Be a Tutor: Are you good at math and science and English? Hire yourself out as a tutor. Even elementary school kids can help to teach others. Charge an hourly rate and be patient and polite and you will be making money before you know it.

• Kid's Birthday Parties: You can advertise as a mother's helper for Birthday parties. Your skills would be running the games or helping with the crafts and watching the children. You could also add that you would be willing to do the decorating and clean up. Give a solid fee for what you would charge for the whole thing. If you are a magician, put together a show of your best tricks and hire yourself out for Kids parties. Like to paint faces? This is also a job that you could get hired to do at a birthday party. Have you learned to make balloon animals, add this to a clown costume and work it up into an act. Clown costumes can be made from old clothes from a thrift store. Now you're in business.

• Storyteller: Hire out to Moms who need a break. Come in once or twice a week for an hour and have a story hour with her children. Charge an hourly fee. Books can be borrowed for free from the library, just remember to get them back on time. Or hire yourself out as a crafter and be willing to do a craft with the children. Many crafts can be done with recycled materials and will cost you little or nothing. You can research easy crafts on the internet that use recyclables. Remember to charge for your materials as well as your time.

• Pet Babysitter: Now this one definitely needs your parent's permission. When many people go on vacation, they need a place to take their fish bowl or iguana. If you are good with animals, you can make a good living taking in these pets while their people go on vacation. Ask for permission to house these pets in a garage or shed while you sit with them, it might just be too much for your Mom if the snake got loose in the house! If you are going to baby-sit dogs or cats, it is best to leave them in their own home and you go to them. Charge a weekly rate for your services and remember you really do need to make sure that they are fed and have clean water and cages. You do not want to have your customers come home to sick or dead animals. Also it is important for you to make sure you really understand how to take care of the animal, it is alright for you to ask the owner to write out the instructions for you. Also get emergency medical information so you will know where to take the pet if something were to happen.

• Yard Clean Up: Grab a rake and let's go! Raking leaves and weeding are two of the most hated yard jobs. Charge a reasonable rate and your neighbors will be begging for you! With this job, you might want to supply the trash bags but you can also tell them that you supply the labor and they supply the materials. Besides, many people are composting their leaves so you may find that they just want you to rake them in a pile and cover them with a tarp. Weeding is a delicate job, you don't want to be pulling up someone's baby plants so, when in doubt, leave it. You can always ask "Is this a weed?" before you pull it.
  • Portable Car Washer: For this job you will need a bucket, a sponge, a squeegee, window cleaner and a good brand of car wash. Hire yourself out to wash and wax people's car at their homes. You supply the labor, they supply the water. Clean the car body, tires and rims and all chrome on the car. If they want the car waxed, be sure to tell them they need to supply you with their favorite brand. This could even be a two person job but make sure that you don't have water fights with other people's water. Be responsible and you will be asked to do it again.

• Mother's Helper: Are there a lot of Kids in your neighborhood? Hire on as a mother's helper, your skills should include be willing able to play boards games and outdoor games with the children. Be able to supervise them when out for a walk or a trip to the playground. Be willing to keep them occupied while parents do other things. Be willing to help with dishes and household chores such as vacuuming and light housework. On this job, I would charge an hourly rate. You will find this job is a lot easier if you can come up with ideas for games and activities before you arrive at your job.

Now that you've got the job, get yourself a date book or big calendar and write down all your appointments. Keep yourself organized and remember, people like you to be on time. If you have to cancel, please remember to give people at least a 24 hour notice. One thing that always holds true is that a happy customer is a repeat customer so be sure to leave them happy.

I hope you find employment soon with one of my ideas. Work hard and reap the benefits.

By Debra Frick

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to How Can Kids and Young Adults Make Money?.

Question: Teen Job Ideas

My name is Nathan. I'm 14. I live in the woods and have no way to make money to save up for a car. I only have 1 neighbor. Anyone have any ideas?

By Nathan

Most Recent Answer

By garnet904/29/2013

Since you live in the woods, could you make something creative, crafty, or practical out of wood? You could then sell on Etsy, or Ebay or advertise and sell your products somehow. Can you tutor a student or do some childcare after school? How about doing some typing projects for others on your computer? Good luck. I applaud you for having a good goal to work for.

Question: Advice for Teen Starting to Babysit

My daughter is 13 and keeps asking to do babysitting. I don't really know if I should, because what if something happens (eg. child starts to choke). She really wants to start earning her own money.
Please help.

By someone

Best Answers

By Suntydt [75]02/24/2012

I think you should consider letting your child try baby sitting. Just give her some "musts" for any sitting job she takes.

Must 1 - get the information of where the parent or parents are going and have a phone number for that location

Must 2 - get a cell phone number from the parent or guardian as well. This is not the same as the first 'must'. Some people talk so much on their cell phone that most of the time you try to call them the line is busy.

Must 3 - have a number for a reliable nearby neighbor she can call or even run to if there is a problem.

Must 4 - make sure she gets all important information concerning the child, allergies, asthma, favorite toy/doll to help distract the child when parents leave.

These aren't new ideas they are just very important ideas for a young child to take to heart. The first sign of trouble and the worse thing that can happen is panic sets in. If the child has all these numbers plus the knowledge of 911 and any situation can be handled.

A 13 year old is very capable of babysitting for short periods of time but they aren't used to being responsible and to maintain attention on another. I wouldn't recommend she have any sitting jobs longer than 3 hours until she has had a couple jobs under her belt.

Best Answers

By greenergrass02/24/2012

They have official and simple baby sitting trainer courses through a lot of schools, churches, and communities. You should look into it. She could get certified. They also teach CPR.

Question: Advice for Making Money

I am a 13 year old girl and I need money. My mom and dad don't believe in giving me money for doing chores, because it is my responsibility. Does anyone have any ideas?

By Not Needed

Most Recent Answer

By Holly L. [2]04/07/2014

Hi! Here are a few tips I've read that work for teens who need to make money (besides babysitting):

1. Do you have a lot of stuff you don't use anymore but is still in good condition? Get together with a friend and hold a garage sale. Be sure to let people know a few days ahead of time if your town doesn't participate in community garage sales. Make fliers!

2. Garden or volunteer to mow grass, rake leaves, etc. See if neighbors would like to buy excess produce or if family friends could use some yard service. Only talk to people your parents know and trust.

3. Are you artistic or crafty? There are tons of places you can go to sell your work, even online! Focus on your strongest points and go from there. You can use social media to get a little business going and they say Etsy is a good place to start if your looking into selling online. Do your research about local craft fairs so that you can prepare well ahead of time!

4. When you are a little older you will be able to accept most online micro jobs or a position as an online tutor, in addition to any in-person job. Stay away from sites like "fiver" and "gigbucks." Although popular, they are pretty iffy on the trustworthiness scale.

5. I've found out that Thrifty Fun accepts submissions for periodic contests. A winning entry can earn you a $20.00 Amazon gift certificate. I think they also deposit winnings into people's Paypal accounts should they choose that option. At the top of your browser next to the Thrifty Fun logo you'll find a link to current contests.

Above all, stay safe! I know it's tempting to want to make money any way possible, but sometimes that's not the best idea. If you want to babysit, wash cars, walk dogs, bake, or do yard work for a neighbor, that person must be someone your family trusts 100%. The worst thing you can do is to sneak doing a task for someone you don't know well because they offer you money. Your safety comes first.

Second, don't get so distracted by working that your grades in school slip. Especially if you're planning on going to college. In high school, the better your grades the better chance you have of getting into college. And in college, grades are money! Keep good habits now and you will have them for the rest of your life. Have fun and good luck!

Question: Job Ideas for Teen

I am a 13 year old girl and I am an A+ student who loves kids and animals. What can I do to earn some money?

By Jolene from Muskogee, OK

Most Recent Answer

By redhatterb [1]01/26/2014

At your age, you best bet would be babysitting, but for safety reasons, only for people your family knows. When you turn 14, there will be a very few places that hire 14 year olds, and then only for a very limited number of hours per week. You could also try running errands (that you wouldn't need a car for) for elderly and disabled people.

Question: Jobs for Teens

I'm a 13 year old boy that's good with technology. I don't want a way to make money that costs money. I considered mowing, but I live in a town with 4,000 people in it and not many people need their lawns mowed.

By Haeven L.

Best Answers

By Brent01/17/2014

I agree with the first response.

You need to find a job that people find hard to do or are willing to spend money for you to do it for them. So jobs where you have to bend over, or work on the ground, or be in an odd position - where someone as young as yourself has no problem, but older folks find tedious or numbing.

Convincing people to pay for these jobs can be difficult. Just saying - do you have any odd jobs I can do for you, is less effective than throwing out some possibilities like weeding, mowing, painting the garage, cleaning the garage ...or any odd jobs. Give their minds some possibilities to consider.

Keep a high standard for the work you do, and concern yourself with doing the very best possible job, so there is no reasonable way they can find an excuse to not pay you. Every job is a billboard and a referral. Great work leads to great referrals. Getting started is hard, but perseverance almost always pays.

Mowing is possible, but even better weeding - the lawn or garden. Time consuming, but push the organic approach and that hand weeding can remove more root, and the result will last longer. Consider a lower hourly wage plus # of cents per weed with 4 inch roots or longer. People are more willing to pay if they can see great results.

If you have a good reason for the money e.g. saving for college education, something that your client can relate to, being able to speak about this can set the client's minds at ease and help them believe they are helping you reach your goals. This is not a ploy you mention as you seek for work, but an answer you should have ready when the people ask what you will do with your earnings.

Best Answers

By redhatterb [1]01/15/2014

I don't think anybody will hire a 13 year old to do technology work for them and the ones that do ask you to do it will expect it done for free, given your age. Depending on how much money you want to acquire, you should be able to make enough for spending money by cutting grass, even if it isn't for many people. There are bound to be senior citizens and disabled people that need that kind of work done, also shoveling snow. You could also probably do some cleaning for them, the things that are hard for them to do. There is also baby sitting. Depending on when you will be 14, there are some businesses that will hire kids that are 14, it is for a very limited number of hours per day and only for certain jobs.

Question: Teen Job Ideas

I'm 13 and I wanna make some money. I need it for up coming Christmas. I don't know anyone around my area, so I can't ask if they want me to do chores and I don't think shops would want me either. What can I do?

By Megan

Most Recent Answer

By Forrest McEaster12/04/2013

If you're looking for really good and unique ideas, check out www.profit-kids.com

Question: Finding a Job at 14

What are some places in Virginia that a 14 year old can find a job?

By Ali K

Question: Fun Jobs for 14 Year Olds

I'm fourteen and I love horses. I want to save up and buy a horse of my own, including registration in an equestrian center, tack, feed, and all that! How can I earn money in a fun and safe way? Thanks!

By Maddy

Most Recent Answer

By Sandi [391]09/30/2013

See if you can get on as an apprentice with a local rancher. If not, find a product you might be able to make that horse people would like. Are you an artist? If so, why not offer to make portraits of horses? Do you sew? How about riding blankets? Find something you love to do that others would love to buy and start from there.
I hope that helps.
PBP

Question: Tech Jobs for a 14 Year Old

I'm 14, and looking for a job. I have a lot of skill when it comes to PCs and am wondering if there is any way that I could use said skill to earn more money? I can assemble a computer, diagnose hardware related problems, and remove/repair/reinstall most software.

By 1337-H4CKZ0R

Most Recent Answer

By Noah S.05/31/2014

Firstly,
What can you provide? Think about teaching the older generation the basics. As a 14 year old myself I can say that the only way anybody will consider you to do anything more is to gain certification. I am currently taking the Cisco Certifications. After that, im hoping to get a Saturday job paying a large amount (100 GBP plus). The certifications proove your trustworhtyness. Finally, get a good online presence. People may look you up. This includes having a good username. Leet Speak isnt very elite at all.

Question: Job Ideas for Teens

I'm 13 years old and I'm looking for a way to make money. But the thing is that I live in a pretty bad neighborhood so babysitting and dog walking won't work for me. I need to find a way to make money, but how? Please help.

By Brandon

Most Recent Answer

By Amy Singh [3]08/06/2013

Maybe tutoring a younger kid would work for you.

Question: Teen Making Money Ideas

I'm 13 and I really want to make money. I am really good with animals, I have a pet snake, a cat, and 2 dogs. My sis and I really want to make good money. We considered dog walking and if you think this is good, how much would be a good reasonable price to ask for? Also give other ideas. Thanx.

By Nick

Most Recent Answer

By phan0saur<311/19/2013

Yes, dog walking and pet sitting are great ideas! I'm 13 and I have a job working as a dog trainer for lots of people, which is also a good idea. Really anything that could help people with their pets is good, as long as you're being safe. I usually charge $5-$10 a day for pet sitting, depending on how many pets. As for dog walking, the prices change. For small dogs I charge $3-$5 a walk, for big dogs I charge $4-$6. Honestly any price is good, as long as you aren't being unfair.

Question: How Can 14 Year Old Boys Make Money

I'm a 14 year old boy who is really good with technology. Any suggestions on how I can make some money?

By Nate W.

Most Recent Answer

By nickdavis [1]07/23/2013

Hey! Try making a blog and show advertisements those companies could pay you big time bucks! Or you could try something simple like dog sitting my neighbors paid my sister and I 20 dollars just to let their dogs into their pen. Try it.
Nick D

Question: Jobs for Kids

I'm a girl that is not old enough to find proper work, but need a job to help my family. Do you know anything that I can do that wouldn't cost much? (Also I can't pet sit since we live in an apartment.)

By Abby S.

Most Recent Answer

By brigittes [10]07/16/2013

If you have experience helping around your house, you can help others. Family with lots of little kids would pay for help folding laundry or washing dishes.

Question: Self Employment Ideas for Young Adults

I've been reading all the great ideas posted, however in Missouri there seems to be very little to no help. Are there any other self employment ideas?

By Shaunda

Most Recent Answer

By Tanya [4]06/20/2013

Do you have a camera? Do you like to take pictures? Rather a digital camera or an instant polaroid camera, you can take pictures of people, pets, events, etc. People will pay you for the pictures, especially if you can make an album or a cd for them. Video cameras are great to make an income with too. Sometimes people want videos of their events, or portions of their events such as a wedding, or a father/daughter dance at a wedding reception. Or bigger still, video tape an event like a monster truck show. People will pay you for a vhs or a dvd of the event, especially if they missed it. This employment may involve a little bit of travel to get to the events but it is a wonderful self employment opportunity. You could even specialize in either school pictures, wedding events, pets, still life, etc . You can write to companies and ask if they want pictures taken of some or all of the products they sell for their brochures or advertisements. Write or call on insurance companies to take pictures of what their clients want to insure. Write or call on real estate agents to take pictures of homes or property that they are selling. You can take a picture of anything you want and sell them as your stock photos. These can be sold on ebay or on Shutterfly and many other websites. However, you must have a modeling contract to sell photos of people unless they cannot be recognized in the photo. The possibilities are endless with this. Go online and find other photographers in the field in which you want to specialize, to find out what they are charging for their services. Set your fees accordingly. I think this is a great self employment opportunity for young adults or even retired people (like me) looking to fill time and increase income. I hope this helps you. Good luck!

Question: Ideas for Teen Jobs

I'm a teen in high school trying to earn money. The down side is the economy is really bad right now, so that isn't helping me find or earn money for college. I live in the country so it is kind of hard to do a newspaper route or shovel snow because local plows are every where and more efficient than what I probably could do. If you have any ideas please comment.

By bunny_puppy_animal lover from MI

Best Answers

By Lelia Jo Cordell [49]01/02/2011

Hmm... if you're not too proud to do the "dirty work," I'm sure there will be a lot of people willing to pay you. Muck out stalls at a nearby farm, or offer to "pooper-scoop" for people who don't or can't do it for their own pets.
If you have organizational skills, you may be able to Perhaps you could help someone catch up on phone calls or take messages, as a sort of part-time receptionist. help someone get their filing in order. Be a courier, delivering print messages and packages for a small fee. Be a part-time paid companion for an elderly person. Nothing delights my hubby more than having a new audience for the stories I've heard a million times! Put your creativity to work, and remember to think outside the box. Best to you in your job search!

Best Answers

By cdoss [10]12/29/2010

House cleaning or general chores. Lots of people can't afford a regular house keeper but need help with certain projects. I do once a month cleaning for two of my elderly neighbors. The hard stuff they can't do anymore like scrubbing floors and cleaning hard to reach places. I also help them with certain yard chores a few times a year. Also, you may be able to take care of people's pets while they are out of town. Before I had my own home and pets I used to house sit fairly often.

Best Answers

By Katie [5]12/27/2010

I agree babysitting is something everyone needs. If you make up signs you can hang them locally. Or even pet sitting or house sitting. When I was growing up I had a few people that would go away and I would go feed the dog, grab the mail for them, maybe water the plants, and what ever they asked me to do. I also had another woman that paid me to walk or bathe her dog. Maybe light outside work someone in your area wants? House cleaning for someone? If you ask enough people you are bound to find someone who needs help. Print up some signs that say that you are a responsible High School teenager that is looking for work and note what you are wanting to do.

Just an FYI: Print the sign up and try to make it look mature, I just recently saw a sign similar to the one I am suggesting that the person made with all different colors of crayons and to me it looked a bit childish, if I was hiring someone to help me. I surely would want them mature enough to make a sign that doesn't look like they were 5.
Good luck and I hope that you find some work! It is great that you want to try to get out there and earn your own money!

Question: Jobs for 14 Year Olds

I turned 14 in April. Do I have to be 14 and a half to start working at certain jobs?

By shardai*_23 from Charlotte, NC

Most Recent Answer

By Alexa Lie08/04/2009

This is taken from NC department of labor site at nclabor.com/wh/fact sheets/child_involvement.htm

Children under 14 years of age may not be employed in non-agricultural occupations. Permissible employment for such children is limited to work that is exempt from the FLSA and WHA (such as actors or performers in motion pictures, theatrical, radio or television productions).

Children may also perform work not covered by the FLSA or WHA such as completing minor chores around private homes or casual babysitting.

If you check jobentries.com and hireteen.com the minimum age of all posted jobs on that site are 14 year olds.

Question: Summer Job Ideas for Teens

I am a teenage guy who is looking for ways to make money this summer. Do you have any suggestions?

By Calvin from TX

Most Recent Answer

By Calvin Lyman [1]04/24/2009

Thanks guys, I actually have been doing a yard service for the past few months now, and it has been going great. Thank's for the tips, I'm sure that they will help me get more business.