Share Crafts
Ask
Share
Newsletter
Account
About

Albumin Powder Instead of Egg Whites

0EmailPrintFollowSave

When a recipe calls for only the EGG WHITES can Albumin powder be used instead. If so, how much water is added to the powder to reconstitute it? Can the powder be added to the dry ingredients and the water to the liquids? Any info about albumin powder will be appreciated. Thanks all.

Mairmie from Edmonton, AB

By

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By Harriet Schipper 11 135 02/04/2008 Flag

I use the albumin powder in cake icings like royal icing or decorators icing.

Two recipes use 7 Tablespoons per cup of water (16 Tablespoons). It is then able to be beaten to peaks. This is approximately 2 Tbs. water for 1 tablespoon albumin...(actually 7/8 of a Tablespoon), but I would just use one.

Another has 6 Tablespoons water to 4 Tablespoons albumin. This is the ratio of 2 Tablespoons water and 1 1/3 Tablespoon (1 Tablespoon is 3 teaspoons).

Therefore, for each egg white (which is 2 Tablespoons worth of egg white according to the cookbook), I would probably use 2 Tablespoons water and 1 Tablespoon 1 Tablespoon and 1 teaspoon of albumin.

Hope this is helpful in substituting it for egg whites:)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

P.S. Yes, if you do not have to beat the egg whites until they are soft or stiff peaks, I am sure you could add the egg whites to the dry ingredients and the water to the liquid. Most of my recipes for egg white need them beaten though:)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Nancy Collins 9 53 02/04/2008 Flag

My friend told me to use 2 tablespoons of water to 2 teaspoons of albumin powder, and it has worked out well.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Mairmie (Guest Post) 02/05/2008 Flag

Thanks for the information for using Albumin powder in recipes.Thrifty Fun contributors are really great!! Thanks again to all who responded.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By PrairieLady (Guest Post) 02/10/2008 Flag

Albumin Powder is just dried egg whites. Same thing different form. Some has a bit of gaur gum added as a whipping agent.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By jojo (Guest Post) 04/10/2008 Flag

Hello, I've been experimenting with albumin powder in making meringue. Does anyone have a tip on how to eliminate it's sour after taste? Thanks.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes