Toilet Clogged With Disposable Towels

My toilet is blocked with disposable towels.

Jill

Best Answer

Well, get yourself a snake from the local hardware store or farm store. You will use this enough to pay for it many times before hiring a plumber. If this is a severe problem, get the plumber. Sometimes you might find a handy neighbor or someone from church who can assist you.

DO NOT PUT disposable towels in the toilet. No diaper wipes, fabrics, etc. Flushable belongs to toilet paper only. With the plumbing you may have things caught in it all the way to the street. Trust me, our sewer just froze in the yard and we have been doing clean up from it doing a return visit. The plumber, after hours fee and the follow up was not a bad price. Better than digging up your yard to follow the plugged line. That would be about $1000 instead of the #125 I paid. We also paid for a camera to be put down the next week so we could see extent of any damage, condition of the pipes (house is 100 yrs old) and it was pristine! I do not allow anything except a specific brand of TP used, and all other flushables (so the boxes say) must be trash basketed.

Best Answer

If the clog does not yield to a plunger, try a garden hose, using a gun-type nozzle to blast a jet of water up the trap of the toilet. Failing that you might have luck with a toilet snake.

What type of toilet paper do you use so that it goes through the plumbing system easier. T&T Grandma?

I'm with T&T Grandma - be careful what you flush! I've known folks who wouldn't flush unless there was solid waste. A gal I knew even had a cute little sign to advise visitors not to flush without good reason! At risk of offending, I'll repeat it here: "If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down."

As long as my spendthrift hubby isn't around to complain, I tend to flush every second or third trip, unless it's necessary for reasons stated above. I also minimize the amount of toilet paper I use, although others might prefer to put toilet paper that's only wet into the trash can instead.

Not trying to gross anyone out, just trying to help where I can.

A friend's daughter flushed a full package of facial wipes down my toilet last winter. They clogged my toilet so badly that the pipes all froze just outside the walls of my house. We were without any plumbing for several months, as the plumber couldn't get the wad of wipes thawed until spring. I live in Canada...very cold. The wad cracked my sewer pipe outside the wall and we had to have the front yard dug up to replace the sewer line! Cost me $23,000! plus a basement flooded with waste as all the "stuff" that was backed up behind them thawed and had no place to go but into my basement. I am very low income and am STILL paying for the plumbing job! GOOD LUCK!