Skunk Living in Backyard

I am fairly sure that a skunk has taken up residence in the one corner of our back yard. Last night it growled at me when I was out with our little toy fox terrier. Since the location is only about 30 feet from the back door, which we use to enter and exit the house, it is not possible to just ignore it.

I have smelled it's warnings many times. I think it burrowed into the ground in that corner as I have tried looking but do not want to get too close. Does anyone have any ideas as how I can encourage it to move?

Linda from New Jersey

Try putting some moth balls around the area, and I believe that it will get rid of the "Little Stinker."

Then he will move and take up residence some other place.

We had a skunk problem a few years back and called the sherrifs Dept, who in turn called animal control and they came out with a live trap and trapped several of them and took them outside the city limits and released them. Skunks are known for carrying rabbise (?), which is why the county was eager to remove the skunks. Make a few calls and see if you can get the little guy removed :0)

Maggie in Bloomington, MN

Hi! this furry critter is protecting something most likely and just to be sure and to remove the critter and its source he or she is guarding contact the Humane Society or Animal Control. Another caution to be sure it is no rapid the cute critter may have to be obsevered for a few days without harm to it. Better to be safe and have the critter placed in an remote sitting for it's own protection as well as yours and your pets.

Good Luck!

A few years ago we had a major skunk problem, we got a live trap, trapped them, put the trap in large trash bag, closed it good. We then put the trap in the trunk , and took it to a large wildlife area near us. When we opened the trap, the skunks were too glad to " get free " to bother spraying us, they just took off, and lived happily ever after. :-) Rose

I have had problems with skunks and I know it is know picnic! Mothball's should work but if they do not I don't know about New Jersey but I ended up having the Game Warden trap the skunk and let it lose someplace else in the country. Good Luck and try to keep a close watch on your dog! I think there favorite thing to do is spray dogs and that is whole other story! dar

Are you sure it's a skunk? Fox urine smells horrible too! Anyway, both animals are bad for rabies and most animal controls will be glad to remove them for you.

If you spray him with the garden hose a few times, he might look for a new home that's not so soggy.

Calling animal control is probably best, though, due to the very real possibility of rabies.

I thought it had been in a corner of our backyard, but it's got to be in the yard right next to ours. It has a lot of downed tree limbs and lots of weeds....lots! Even though there is a fence between the yards...I don't want to be out there when it's smell is strong. I don't want to cause hard feelings with the neighbor but I sure wish they'd clean that up over there. There could be other creepy crawly things hiding in that too.

Home and Garden Pest Control Large WildlifeJanuary 9, 2008
A skunk getting ready to spray.
Removing Skunk Smell from a Car
Skunk On white Background
Removing Skunk Odor From Carpet
A plastic basket of laundry.
Removing Skunk Odor from Clothing
Removing Skunk Smell from Books
Removing Skunk Smell from Books
🎄
🍂