Best Sweet Pickles

If you want the best sweet pickles you ever tasted, start with a big jar of whole Kosher Dills. I always start with a whole gallon of Vlasic Kosher Dills.

Pour all the juice out and measure it. You will either discard this juice or find another use for it. It's excellent for azaleas incidentally. They love pickle juice.

Wash and dry the jar. Wash and dry the pickles with paper towels; squeezing as much liquid out of them as you can without breaking up the pickles.

Cut the pickles anyway you want them and pack them all back into the big jar or several smaller sterile jars.

Measure as much apple cider vinegar as the liquid you poured off, and for every 2 cups of vinegar, add 3 cups of sugar and 1 Tbsp. of whole allspice.

Bring that mixture to a boil and stir until the sugar is completely dissolved. Cook for about 2 minutes stirring all the while.

Cool slightly, and then pour over the cut pickles in the jar or jars. Place lids on the jars and set out on the kitchen countertop overnight. They may seal.

The next day, remove the lids, pour off all the liquid, and bring it to a boil again. Cool slightly and pour it back over the pickles. Allow to sit on the countertop over night. They may all seal.

The next day, put the pickles in the fridge. They should have all sealed. If they didn't seal, use those jars first.

I have never lost a pickle using this method and they really are our favorite sweet pickles. We like them cut into long spears, but cut them into the way you like best. It's not critical to the success of these wonderful pickles.

I allow them to sit in the fridge for about 2 weeks before using. Once opened, they never last very long. Everyone who has tried them likes them too, and usually take home a jar with them.

Source: My Dear Friend, Miss Etta

By Julia from Boca Raton, FL

Sounds delicious and really easy. I prefer dill and my DH likes sweet. This might be the perfect solution!

We make a sweet/sour pickle, I just pour out the juice from dill pickles and fill the jar back up with sugar turn a few times to the sugar melts good with fish I use hambuger chips

Your sweet/Sour pickles sound like they'd be extra easy to make. I plan to try them one day soon. I also like the idea of using the hamburger chips. These are more sour, and less Kosher, and might be a little bit like Bread and Butter, which we love.

I make WaterMelon Pickles using about the sameratio of vinegar-sugar-whole allspice (and cook the watermelon white part cut up into pickle size). They are actually my hubby's favorite pickle. When I was a kid, my parents would often have a Friday Nite "Pickle Supper"...just good sharp cheddar cheese, homemade crusty bread, butter and pickles and iced tea in the summer. Seems like a hundred years ago, but I still remember those nights with pleasure.

Thanks again for your great recipe. Julia in Boca Raton, FL

You can add more or less sugar to my Best Sweet Pickle Recipe. The 3 cups of sugar to 2 cups of vinegar is about right for the family's taste, but I remember one of the good pickle companies used to make the "candied pickle sticks"...and those were my all-time favorite. You can always add more or less sugar with the vinegar, and some people like to reduce the vinegar and add a bit of water. We just like the vinegar, sugar and whole allspice.

The Kosher Dills that I start with already have a dilly flavor, and I like them a lot. I have often added sliced raw onion to the pickles as well, and they turn out good. We like pickled I either buy canned whole beets or cook, peel and slice them, then use the same vinegar, sugar and whole allspice pickling syrup for them. Pickles are one of those foods that I think everyone kinda makes up their own recipes and keeps us creative in the kitchen. I hope you like them and have good luck

making them.

Julia in Boca Raton, FL

I love this recipe. However, since the jars seal do they have to be stored in the refrigerator? Thanks.

Sweet Pickles on White Background
Sweet Pickle Recipes
Food and Recipes Canning Condiments & SaucesFebruary 17, 2010
Making Homemade Pickles
Making Homemade Pickles
Dill Pickles
Recipes Using Pickles
sliced sweet potato
Recipes Using Yams (Sweet Potatoes)
Sunshine Dill Pickles
Making Sunshine Dill Pickles