Homemade Solid Valance

I don't care for curtains, so I came up with this solution for a valance above my sliding glass doors. I purchased 2, 5-foot artist canvas stretchers and 2, 1-foot stretchers to form a rectangle. Then I purchased 5, 1/2 feet of coordinating fabric to match my living room. There are so many choices for the fabric, you may have a hard time deciding.

Lay the fabric down with the print side out and place the frame on top of the fabric, then pull the fabric around the stretchers and staple with a staple gun pulling taunt as you staple it. Cut off excess fabric. Hang it just above the sliding glass doors and you're done!

I'm sure this could be done for just about any window in the house. Just measure the window to know what size stretchers you need. If you are handy, you can purchase 1x2s at a home store and make your own frames. The wonderful thing about this project is that when you get bored of the fabric or change your decor, just remove the old fabric, find a new use for it, and staple on your new fabric find!

By Ramona from Ocala, FL

Good idea if you are not handy with saw and hammer! I think the correct term might be cornice though......valance is made just with fabric.

Would love to see a pic of your valance.