Making a Window Valance

I purchased a long metal wall art piece when a local store was going out of business. It looked like ivy on tree branches and I was looking for a good place for it. When I held it up to the top of the window, I knew I had found it a home. Really looked nice. I have gotten a lot of comments and some have said they would never have thought to use it in that way.

By Wanda from Climax, NC

More Solutions

I took a dust ruffle from a bed and cut it lengthwise first for the length of the window. I had 2 windows side by side. I left enough of the white part of the sheet to make into tabs because I don't sew.

Valence.

I don't care for curtains, so I came up with this solution for a valance above my sliding glass doors. I purchased 2, 5-foot artist canvas stretchers and 2, 1-foot stretchers to form a rectangle.

While I was washing my kitchen curtain, I decided to experiment. I layered three cloth napkins, that match my kitchen wallpaper, on my curtain rod for a new look. An inexpensive alternative for a curtain.

Three napkins hung on the point over the curtain rod.

I thought of this cute idea for a kitchen or bathroom valance. I am using dinner cloth napkins and will fold them into triangle shapes and simply put them over any rod to make a great valance.

To make quick and cheap curtain valances take a dust ruffle from a bed and remove the lower ruffle, flip down about 2-3 inches along the top cut side and sew it down on the machine. The rest of the curtain will already have a nice finished edge.

7 Questions

I need an easy pattern and measuring instructions for valances (balloon or plain). I want to makes some for my bedrooms and for the living room, ND maybe the stairwell window. I am a very novice sewer, haven't done a project in 12 years!

Thanks!
camo_angels from Willamina, OR

Answers

Im glad you asked this I'm sure alot of us would like to know this...
Im not a sewer at all, I have a sewing machine for rips and tears.. in
fact I forgot I had it. In my house if a shirt loses a button the shirt is
no good. :) So I would need a super easy pattern.

By pam (Guest Post)

I have seen design examples where they used colorful napkins placed on the curtain rod as a valance of sorts - no sewing required. I would also suggest using a swag of material across the top of the curtain - you would just have to put up the supports at the corners. Again, practially no sewing required.

The valances I have seen on the market are just big ruffles. I am sure you could just make a piece, put in some elastic in a tube and scrunch it together for a simple valance of sorts.

Use twin sized flat sheets. Depending on how wide the windows are, you may want to cut the sheet legnthwise as opposed to widthwise. The advantage to cutting the width of the sheet is that you really don't have to make a side seam. Decide how long you want the valence, double it and add about 5" for seams and a top ruffle before cutting the sheet - if you use wider than a standard rod, you'll have to add a few more inches to the strip you cut.

If you need to make side seams, this is when to do it. Then fold the strip in half, right sides together, and sew a seam about 1/2" from the open edge. Then turn it right side out and iron it flat. Make two seams about 1 1/2" apart to accomodate a standard rod. If you make the higher seam about 1" from the top , it makes a bit of a ruffle when it's on the rod.

If you'd like to be a bit fancier, try this site: www.alternative-windows.com/. They're a bit more detailed.

Thanky you! I like the Sheets idea....a little less expensive on the fabric.

By Tara (Guest Post)

This may help you:

Here are a few more pages to help measure for windows:

Measuring for valances:

www.prioritywindows.com/.../how-to-measure-for-a-valance-sp-923...

Measuring for draperies:
www.prioritywindows.com/.../Drapery-Measuring-Guide-sp-201.html

Measuring for fabric shades:
www.prioritywindows.com/.../how-to-measure-for-fabric-shades...

Hope that helps.

Answer this Question

Crafts Home Decor DecorationsSeptember 15, 2013
🎃
🎂
📓
🌻
😷
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Making-a-Window-Valance.html