Tub Drain Rocker Arm Fell Into the Drain

My bathtub overflow drain pipe lift rod assembly fell into the pipe. I cannot see it. I must remove it, but how?

By Carmine from Staten Island, NY

You may have to remove the p-trap, or go to the Automotive Parts store and buy a 'Retriever'. If you have PVC plumbing, a magnetic type may be your salvation; if not, then the 'Spring-[4-fngers]clasp' may be the answer. http://www.newmantools.com/erick/magnets.htm

October 17, 2009 Flag

My son unscrewed the bath tub drain cap and it came off. I tried to save the rocker arm, but it went down and disappeared in the drain. Could anyone tell me please what to do?

Ali from Vancouver

I would assume that you are talking about the rocking lever on the overflow plate, that this came loose and fell into the overflow after the screws holding the plate to the tub were removed. You should still be able to get at the threaded rod that connected to this lever. Grab it with needle nose pliers and pull it and the internal stopper out of the overflow. The lever should come out with it, but if it does not don't worry. Just get another overflow plate from your hardware store, attach the back side of the new rocking lever to the rod, and install the assembly in the tub. (03/19/2009)

By Red Neck

tub drain
Retrieving Parts from a Broken Drain
Home and Garden Repair Home PlumbingOctober 17, 2009
Vintage Quilt
Repairing a Long Arm Quilting Machine
Restoring a Claw Foot Tub, An old claw foot tub outside.
Restoring a Claw Foot Tub
Claw Foot Tub in Bright Bathroom
Cleaning a Claw Foot Tub
Hot Tub
Cleaning a Hot Tub