LaundryCleaning

Can't Find Washing Soda?

Washing soda (sodium carbonate) is nowhere to be found in my small town, at least not in the soap and detergent sections. However, my local Wal-Mart has a pool supply section and they carry pH Plus which is sodium carbonate so this is what I use in my laundry in place of "washing soda".

Seagrape

Arm and Hammer, the company that m akes washing soda has an 800 number locator line. I'm sure you can get the number online.

I just use baking soda and it works fine.

Ziggee

you can't substitute baking soda for washing soda. they're chemically different and produce different results. once you try the real stuff i'm sure you'll never go back. most larger grocery stores have customer product special request forms you can fill out and will order washing soda. it may take a few weeks to get it in. most stores will even call you and tell you when it is in the store. then when you see it on the shelf, buy all that is avail. this gives the store manager the idea that it is a popular product to keep restocked. it doesn't cost the store anything extra unless the product goes unsold.

what is washing soda??

Baking soda - Baking soda is bicarbonate of soda. It is useful as a mild abrasive cleaner when used with a damp cloth and is safe on nearly any surface. You can brush your teeth with it so it is a safe and green ingredient. It is great for freshening in the laundry, carpets or in the refrigerator.

Washing Soda - Washing soda is sodium carbonate. It is different than baking soda and is more caustic. It is not recommended for use on aluminum or painted surfaces. It cuts grease and soot is a good additive to cleaning products and laundry detergents. It is safe for septic tanks.

I've found Washing Soda at most grocery stores near where you would find Borax or Borateem. Ask your grocer if you can't find it. The UPC code on it is: 33200-03020

Susan from ThriftyFun

You can find the 12lb bags of Arm & Hammer at Sam's for 4.99. I use it in the pool instead of PH + it has directions for all uses in the pool.

I agree - you cannot substitute baking soda or anything else I know of for Washing soda. They are two very different items.

Washing soda can be found at HEB and Kroger stores in the laundry aisle. The artwork is similar to a box of baking soda but the box is about the size of a cereal box.

Good luck!

You can call 1-800-781-7529 to order it from Arm & Hammer but it cost $3.99 and $5.99 shipping. To me it is not worth it I will find an alternative.

Please tell me where to purchase Arm and Hammer washing soda in Pensacola, Fl.

So disappointing to find great recipes that call for products that are so hard to come by.

In California I used to buy it about 15 years ago at Safeway/Vons but now they don't carry it anymore. For those people asking what it's used for: I use it for making my own environmentally safe cleaning solution (Washing Soda+ something like Dr. Bronners soap or other soap/dishwashing detergent) AND it is supposed to work for CLOGGED DRAINS) Good luck!

I used the UPC code, called my local QFC, they were able to locate it and will order it for you (and me) so no shipping cost. Now try to find soap flakes.

I cannot find wash soda at the grocery store. Go to your local pool supply store and ask soda ash or equivalent. It is used to raise the pH of swimming pool. I have also made the liquid laundry detergent without washing soda and just using baking soda. It works just fine for clothes that are not all that dirty.

Ace Hardware will order for you-I just ordered washing soda and fels naptha bar soap. it will be shipped to the hardware and you pick it up. I would have never thought to check out a hardware store for this. I just learned this online. Joanie

Fred Meyer carries it (Washington State). They are a Kroger company the same as QFC but without the higher prices

I couldn't find it either, but on Ebay found a place that sells it and gave details on the active ingredient....sodium carbonate. Went to a $.99 cent store and they sell Rinso Laundry Detergent which has sodium carbonate in it. Then went to Wal-Mart looking for Fels Naptha, which they don't have, but do have Zote soap which I've seen advertised to make your own laundry detergent. You can get 20 mule team Borax at most grocery stores. Saved a ton on shipping by not ordering this stuff online. :)