Preventing Lumps in Polenta

I recently tried a recipe that I found on ThriftyFun for polenta with black beans and salsa. In the directions for cooking the polenta, it says "add cornmeal to boiling water very slowly to avoid clumping". My mother taught me another way when I was a youngster.

I thought this tip could be helpful to anyone else cooking polenta. Measure the cornmeal and place in a small bowl. Stir in cold water; just enough to completely moisten the cornmeal. Then stir quickly into the boiling water. Continue to stir until it is cooked and very thick; no clumps and no lumps.

The black beans, salsa and polenta was delicious! I did add corn and a couple fire roasted green chilies to the recipe.

Source: I have to give credit to my Mom who is now 87 years old.

By Harlean from Hot Springs, Arkansas

Editor's Note: Here is the recipe that Harlean is describing:

Excellent tip! I'm going to suggest hubby try this with his Cream of Wheat - that's roughly the same consistency.

Another way of avoiding lumps in polenta is to use a whisk when slowing pouring it in boiling salted water. It works every time!

Food and Recipes Food Tips Cooking TipsMarch 17, 2009
bag of sugar
Getting Rid of Lumps in Sugar
Thief Breaking into Car
Preventing Auto Theft
Barbecued shrimp on a bed of polenta.
Polenta Recipes
rectangles of fried mush with garnish
Fried Cornmeal Mush Recipes
🎄