Frugal Black Beans and Polenta

contest winner icon

This is a recipe I found somewhere on the internet and adapted it. It's really filling and makes enough for 6 people and costs about 50 cents per person :) I made it tonight and it was very filling and tasty!

Ingredients

• 6 cups water
  • 2 cups cornmeal
  • 1/2 tsp. sea salt
  • 2 15 oz. cans of black beans (drained & rinse)
  • 1 cup salsa

Directions

To make polenta, bring the water and salt to a boil. Then add the cornmeal very slowly so it doesn't clump. Keep stirring on low heat until it's really thick. Be careful because it will bubble and splash! This might take 20 minutes or so.

When it is thickened, and comes off the sides of the pot, spread onto a 9X13 greased pan. While polenta is sitting, combine black beans and salsa in sauce pan on medium heat.

When polenta is cooled a bit (10 minutes or so), cut into 12 even pieces. Place two pieces of polenta on a plate and scoop some black bean mixture on top.

This is really filling and tasty! I used the zucchini salsa that I made at harvest time. Feel free to add other veggies if you like.

Source: Adapted from a recipe from vegweb.com

Sounds delish! Thanks for sharing.

I would add some frozen corn to it and some jalapenos. =)

That sounds great and quick freya1970! Any chance you can share that zucchini salsa recipe you mentioned? I am trying to incorporate zucchini in more things we make since it will soon have an abundance from the garden this season.

Garden Salad
Inexpensive Vegetarian Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Cheap MealsFebruary 20, 2009
Canning Green Beans, Freezing Green Beans, Growing Green Beans, Storing Green Beans, Drying Green Beans
Storing Green Beans
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Black Widow Spider Costume
Black Bean Salsa
Black Bean Salsa Recipes
Barbecued shrimp on a bed of polenta.
Polenta Recipes
🎄