Gold Post Medal for All Time! 677 Posts
June 6, 2022
These taste just like hot dogs! They are plant based and very economical. I halved the recipe and just put mustard on with no bun.
If you save your vegetable scraps, you will be able to make your own vegetable broth for free.
Prep Time: 4-24 hours
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 4-24 hours
Yield: 8 carrot dogs
- 8 large carrots
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce or tamari
- 2 Tbsp pure maple syrup
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp liquid smoke
- dash ground cloves
- 8 whole wheat hot dog buns, toasted if desired
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped (¼ cup)
- 3 Tbsp stone-ground mustard
- 1/2 medium cucumber, spiralized
- Peel the carrots. Place in a pot,cover with water, put the lid on and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and cook 8-10 minutes, until just tender. Drain well.
- Put the next 11 ingredients (up to cloves) in a zip lock bag. Add the carrots and make sure they are covered. Refrigerate 4 to 24 hours, turning occasionally.
- Grill 5-8 minutes on medium high until grill marks form. You can also bake at 450 degrees F for 8-10 minutes, which is what I did.
- Serve on buns with mustard and cucumber, or as a side dish.
Bronze Feedback Medal for All Time! 170 Feedbacks
June 9, 20220 found this helpful
Also very good with sauerkraut, relish ... any / every other topping with bun or without!