Recipes Using Canned Mackerel

Category Fish
This inexpensive, nutritious fish is consumed worldwide. This page contains recipes using canned mackerel.

I use mackerel just as I do salmon to make mackerel patties. I add rosemary to my recipe, I sprinkle just a few fresh bristles (6-10) on top. It is also good in the oven, instead of frying mackerel patties, I bake them.

• 1 whole can of mackerel and juice.
  • 1 egg
  • cornmeal,
  • onion (optional)
  • rosemary (optional)

1. I add the whole can of mackerel and juice, egg, cornmeal and a little water and mix with a wooden or plastic spoon.
    Onions and rosemary are optional.
  2. Ad
  3. Make the batter for the mackerel patties like you do your cornbread, but thick like a biscuit mix. Spoon on a baking sheet (spray sheet with Pam). Flatten it with the spoon lightly.

Hint* Spray your spoon or dip it in warm water so it doesn't stick to spoon.
  4. I bake it in the oven like my cornbread, until golden brown.
  5. When it cools, I dip mine in mustard. Gosh, I wish I had a couple now!

You didn't say what temperature or time to cook these patties I. I used 400 degrees and about 20 minutes. Tasty.

You only need four ingredients for these easy, inexpensive, delicious mackerel patties.

Total Time: 20 minutes

Yield: 8 patties

• 1 can mackerel, drained ($1.49)
  • 1 egg ($.18)
  • 1/2 cup chunky salsa, drained ($.40)
  • bread crumbs or cracker crumbs ($.05)
  • salt, pepper, etc. opt.

1. Drain mackerel and take out skin and large bones. I usually just crush the bones.
  2. Drain salsa and add to bowl with mackerel.
  3. Add egg to bowl. Mix with hands or large wooden spoon.
  4. Add salt, pepper or seasonings if you prefer. I sometimes use onion powder, garlic powder and cumin but not always. If the salsa is spicy, it is often enough on its own.
  5. Add bread crumbs or cracker crumbs until texture is just right for making patties.
  6. Fry patties in a small amount of oil until crispy on outside. If you prefer baked then cook for approximately 20 minutes in a 400 degree F oven.
  7. Ad
  8. I often serve salsa on the side with these and sometimes a little sour cream.

These can be very low calorie if you bake them and serve with fat free sour cream (opt.)

I love this recipe. I make the whole batch and form the patties, then freeze them. Pull them out of the freezer on a busy night, thaw in room temp water for 20 minutes, and fry them up in a little oil. Top with either sour cream or a little sriracha, sesame oil, and green onions!

Can you eat mackerel in brine straight out of the can?

Yes, but it may be a little salty. I would rinse off the brine.

It's ready to cook, but I prefer to warm it up and drain it.

My father in law has been doing so for over 50 years straight and as happy as can be ;)

Can I coat mackerel that is in a can and in brine and after coating can I fry it?

it should be OK, even though it may be brittle and fall apart

I have never tried doing this but I believe it would fall apart in your pan.

There are many healthful ways to cook canned mackerel and Thrifty has some excellent recipes. Why not look at some of these and maybe make patties if frying is what you are looking for.

http://www.thri  3697307.tip.html

i am wonder ing if it is a whole piece? I would rinse well. no one needs a huge amount of salt.. coat it and then fry.... sounds yummy. :)

How can I use canned mackerel in a recipe?

By Darlene L

Answer Was this helpful? 2

You can but I don't know why you would want to. Salmon tastes good and mackerel does not and will stink up your whole house and the kids won't eat it. I would stick with salmon. But try it once.

1. You can make mackerel cakes, that I would eat with syrup and biscuit

I used:

1 egg,

2 tablespoon of corn meal,

1 small onion diced,

a little black-pepper

to taste and fry in a small amount cooking oil about 1/2 cut in skillet fry on both side until brown.

2. Also you can serve them on a green salad.

3. You can scramble them in eggs for breakfast.

4. Mackerel salad, used this instead of tuna fish.

That is purely a matter of opinion. Mackerel tastes good to some people, or no one would eat it. I sure like it. It doesn't smell worse than any other fish and kids are always picky, they're kids!

I would like to know how to make mackerel croquettes?

By Linda from Memphis, TN

Best Answer

Use Mackerel instead of salmon, just as good as salmon, much cheaper.

Ingredients

1 (14 3/4 oz.) canned salmon

1/4 cup onion,or more, finely chopped

1/4 cup cornmeal

1/4 cup flour

1 egg

3 Tbsp. mayonnaise

1 tablespoon vinegar

Directions

Open salmon. Place salmon in mixing bowl and flake evenly with a fork. Add onion, corn meal, flour, mayonnaise, and egg. Stir until well blended. Shape the mixture into patties about the size of an average burger or less. I put flour on hands to keep it from sticking. Cook in oil in skillet over medium heat until browned on each side. Turn once while frying.

Note: The mayonnaise helps the patties hold their shape and keeps them from being too dry. May need to add more flour.

By Kathleen from Dothan, Al

Anonymous

Mackerel doesn't stink, love, there's something wrong with your nose. Honestly, how hard is it not to be a prick who like what you don't.

I need a recipe with canned mackerel. Thanks.

By Simone

Are you sure you want mackerel and not salmon? Mackerel is a strong tasting fish that will stink up your whole house. However this recipe will work. I make it with salmon.

One can salmon

One egg

One cup crushed cracker crumbs

One small onion chopped.

Salt and pepper.

Save half the cracker crumbs. Mix engrienients and shape into patties. Cover with crumbs and place in a skillet of hot oil. After a few munites turn and cook another few minutes. They are then ready to eat.

There was a time when mackerel tasted better than salmon. We used a lot of it. I found that I could substitute it for salmon in lots of recipes such as salmon loaf and salmon patties. If it is as strong as others say, try rinsing it, and be sure to include some lemon juice in the mix.

Don't sell mackerel short. It has more omega 3 than salmon and is much cheaper!

Can I make patties out of canned mackerel similar to salmon patties?

By cyclechicred from Gastonia, NC

I'm a Save-A-Lot shopper and this is one of our favorite suppers. Canned Salmon I usually replace crab in a creamy crab cake recipe - but with canned Mackerel I use a deviled clam recipe.

Mini Food processor or a blender creates the best results.

-1 medium green pepper, 1 medium onion, 1 medium potato - all raw, cut in chunks and chop very tiny in blender/FP. Empty this mixture in mixing bowl.

-Drain one can of mackerel an toss in blender/FP, bones and all. (They have great calcium and will grind/disappear.) Add 1 large egg and about 2 tbsp of Old Bay or seasoning of choice. Chop for about 30 seconds. Add to mixing bowl.

-Mix all well and gently dip by the spoonful onto bread crumbs and coat. Fry in pan over medium heat for about 3 minutes each side. Serve with cocktail or tartar sauce.

Yes & they taste the same, good luck.

Yes, you can use canned mackeral the same as you do the salmon. I have used it and it doesn't alter the taste at all.

Do I have to worry about bones in canned mackarel? Would there be any bones left to harm me?

By Sharadg from Toronto

No, the bones in canned mackerel have been pressure cooked during processing. They are soft and fall apart.

Rather than discarding them, can the juices from canned mackerel be used in various recipes? Many thanks.

By A.P.P.

I am looking for a recipe for canned mackerel. I get my food from the food bank and I was given a can of mackerel. I don't know what to do with it. Would I treat it like salmon?

Thanks,
Sandy from Baltimore, MD

Answers:

Recipes Using Canned Mackerel

I've used mackerel in place of salmon in several recipes. Much cheaper and the taste is pretty much the same.
(07/17/2006)

By Darlene

Recipes Using Canned Mackerel

My boys still love eating mackerel croquettes and they're both in their 20's. Just add an egg, chopped onions, seasoning, and bread crumbs (the kind you buy in a canister). Form the croquettes and lightly brown them in a little bit of oil. Squeeze a little fresh lemon on after cooking and you're good to go. It is also one of the richest sources of heart healthy omega-3 fatty acids. (07/18/2006)

By Nelda

Recipes Using Canned Mackerel

Just open and eat with crackers. (07/18/2006)

By minymont

Recipes Using Canned Mackerel

Here are a couple of salmon recipes, that you could replace with mackerel. I have and no difference in taste.

SALMON NOODLE CASSEROLE

Mix margarine, flour, salt, and mustard in 3 quart saucepan over
medium heat. Gradually stir in milk and cubed Velveeta, stirring
constantly. When mixture is thickened, remove from heat and add
undrained salmon and noodles. Place in 1 1/2 quart casserole and
bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.

Salmon Cakes

Prep Time: 30 min

1. In large bowl, combine all ingredients; mix well. Cover; refrigerate 10 minutes or until slightly firm.
  2. Shape mixture into 4 patties, about 3/4 inch thick.
  3. Spray 12-inch nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Heat over medium-high heat until hot. Add patties; cook 6 to 8 minutes or until golden brown, turning once. If desired, serve with additional nonfat sour cream.

(07/18/2006)

By micksgirl

Recipes Using Canned Mackerel

To take the strong fish odor and taste from the mackerel, add a dollop or 2 of prepared mustard to your ingredients when preparing a dish with it. My aunt taught me this. It works, and you don't taste the mustard, either. (07/28/2006)

By badwater

Recipes Using Canned Mackerel

Mix it all together. (We eat spines before making, just as a treat, don't know how that bit started. You can remove skin, we stretch this canned fish so leave it on).

Add 3 cups bread crumbs. Mix in. Pat into baking dish (don't grease beforehand) and bake 350 F for 30 minutes to 40 minutes. Eat hot or cook in loaf pan and cool, slice for sandwiches. (02/12/2008)

By James

Recipes Using Canned Mackerel

Try it on good, fresh bread with Dijon mustard. Serve with fresh veggies and a strong beer. (03/08/2008)

By Diggo

Recipes Using Canned Mackerel

I add canned mackerel to salad. I first chop up the fish, bones, skin, and all, and sprinkle with Vitamin C powder to lessen the fishy taste and odor. I now prefer mackerel to salmon and tuna. (03/25/2008)

By IggyDalrymple

Recipes Using Canned Mackerel

This is one of my all time favorites from when I was a child and I still cook it and my daughters love it.
Chop up one onion, saute it in butter or whatever you may have, add the mackerel to it. Cook on low heat until hot. Season to taste, and serve over hot rice with bread and butter. (04/15/2008)

By Michelle

Recipes Using Canned Mackerel

Mackerel is far healthier than red meat. It contains more protein per pound than round steak

Plus the fat in fish is actually healthy instead of unhealthy. I regularly buy canned mackerel or salmon and make fish cakes. Just add a couple of eggs, some rolled oats, chopped onions, some red pepper flakes if you have them. Use a half cup measuring cup and form patties. Bake on greased sheet of pan fry in a little oil on both sides. Serve with either ketchup or a mayonnaise type sauce.

Very healthy and very cheap. (06/18/2008)

By Jim

Recipes Using Canned Mackerel

I use it with the pasta they gave me. (06/18/2008)

Recipes Using Canned Mackerel

At my house we just pop the top, drain some excess oil, and put the can directly on a burner to cook the mackerel until it's soft and done. Add soy sauce and chopped scallions at the end and eat with rice. No pots, pans, or bowls to clean up except the one you put rice into. (07/08/2008)

Recipes Using Canned Mackerel

Out of curiosity I thought I would google search if any one has posted recipes using canned mackerel, oh yeah. Try this one, my family has it a lot, it's easy simple and really good nutritionally:

Then this is the best part. Cover with 1 or 2 cans of good quality coconut cream and bake for 20 - 30 minutes. Serve with fresh boiled rice, hmm yum d-lsh!
(10/26/2008)

By Rolie

Recipes Using Canned Mackerel

I make chowder with canned mackerel and it is delicious. This is the highest and best use of the product. Place 1 can of fish in a two quart pot, bones, juice and all. Break up the mackerel into fairly small chunks and add 1 can of diced tomatoes. Dice and add 1 onion, a quarter cup of rice or a cubed potato and salt and pepper to season. Add 1-2 cans of water or chicken broth. Boil vigorously and then simmer for a half hour or so. The longer it cooks, the more tender the fish becomes. This is very similar to bluefish chowder. Enjoy. (11/09/2008)

By Bess

Recipes Using Canned Mackerel

I'm a Save-A-Lot shopper and this is one of our favorite suppers. Canned Salmon I usually replace crab in a creamy crab cake recipe, but with canned Mackerel I use a deviled clam recipe. Mini Food processor or a blender creates the best results.

1. 1 medium green pepper, 1 medium onion, 1 medium potato - all raw, cut in chunks and chop very tiny in blender/FP. Empty this mixture in mixing bowl.

2. Drain one can of mackerel an toss in blender/FP, bones and all. (They have great calcium and will grind/disappear.) Add 1 large egg and about 2 tbsp of Old Bay or seasoning of choice. Chop for about 30 seconds. Add to mixing bowl.

3. Mix all well and gently dip by the spoonful onto bread crumbs and coat. Fry in pan over medium heat for about 3 minutes each side.

4. Serve with cocktail or tartar sauce.

(09/05/2009)

By Margiemix

A tip that my Aunt gave me, as a newlywed, I gladly accepted. Being that my new husband and I both liked salmon croquettes, but couldn't afford salmon at the time. She suggested that I substitute mackerel (much cheaper to use) for the salmon, but make as the same, but to put a few teaspoonfuls of prepared yellow mustard into the mixture (as it would take away the real fishy taste). She was right, it did take away the fishy taste and you really couldn't taste the mustard all that much either. That was several years ago and we still make mackerel croquettes, and now, as well as salmon croquettes, on occasion.

By Terri H.