Croquettes with Mackerel Instead of Salmon

A tip that my Aunt gave me, as a newlywed, I gladly accepted. Being that my new husband and I both liked salmon croquettes, but couldn't afford salmon at the time. She suggested that I substitute mackerel (much cheaper to use) for the salmon, but make as the same, but to put a few teaspoonfuls of prepared yellow mustard into the mixture (as it would take away the real fishy taste).

She was right, it did take away the fishy taste and you really couldn't taste the mustard all that much either. That was several years ago and we still make mackerel croquettes, and now, as well as salmon croquettes, on occasion.

By Terri H.