Salmon Patties Tips and Tricks

Category Seafood
A great way to stretch salmon meat to feed more people is by making salmon patties. This page contains salmon patties tips and tricks.

Salmon patties are a quick and easy dinner I can throw together when I get home late from work, and don't want to spend all evening in the kitchen. The other day, I had about 1 cup of left-over mashed potatoes from dinner the night before, and I usually make potato pancakes out of them, but I put the leftover mashed potatoes in my salmon patties, Gave them a wonder flavor and a smooth texture. I used 1 can of salmon.

By Joyce from Evansville, Indiana

By Rhea (Guest Post)
Top Comment

I usually add a cup of wheat germ.

Top Comment

For my salmon cakes, I use 1 can of salmon mostly drained and remove most of the skin; dried dill; a beaten egg; some chopped onion; crushed saltine crackers(unsalted tops); and a good-size dollop of Kraft Light Miracle Whip. Mix together and form into patties and brown in non-stick skillet til outside is crunchy. Brown on both sides. Sometimes I just pat it all into the bottom of the skillet and cut into 4 or 6 pieces with the edge of the spatula. The dill and Miracle Whip make them yummy.

When making salmon patties, sometimes one can of salmon will not make enough for my needs. Instead of buying another can of salmon, I mix in a can of jack mackerel (right next to tuna and salmon at the grocery). Jack mackerel is about $1 or $2 cheaper and works just at well. Also, I crush up the bones in both and it gives healthy calcium to the dish.

By Judy from Memphis, TN

Top Comment

I haven't seen makerel in the stores in years but it's ok with me. I would rather stretch my salmon with bread and eggs than open a can of smelly makerel in my house.