Shelling Hickory Nuts

I have a hickory tree and picked up about a 1/2 bushel of nuts. I have never saved them before so I am not sure about removing the husks. Do you just peel them off? Also, I wondered if there was an easy way to crack them? I would like to make my mother's fudge recipe using these if I can figure out an easy way to do it.

Hardiness Zone: 5b

By Elaine from Belle Plaine, IA

Hi Laniegirl These two links should give you the info you're looking for and the third link gives info on how to roast them. :-)

Thanks Deeli, doesn't look like there is an easy way does it? Well, when I get snowed in, then maybe I can give it a try!

I was born and raised in Arkansas and we had tons of Hickory trees around our house. We use to pick them up in 5 Gallon buckets and put them in my Fathers garage for Winter time. We'd crack them on a brick with our hammer and flatten the point of a med size nail to dig out the goodies. Take the outside husk off first. You would do the Black Walnut the same way. They make delicious candy, cakes and cookies. Use them as you would a pecan.

Shelling Nuts
Shelling Nuts
Food and Recipes Food Tips AdviceNovember 16, 2010
Sticky buns with nuts.
Baking With Nuts
Glazed Nuts
Glazed Nuts Recipes
Cracked Pistachio Nuts
Freezing Pistachio Nuts
A pile of shelled pine nuts
Recipes Using Pine Nuts