Keeping Dogs out of Flowerbeds

How can you keep dogs away from flowers and vegetable plants, other than putting up a small fence? Thank you.

By Yvette from Salem, NH

There are some really good suggestions in the ThriftyFun archives below :-)

April 12, 2010 Flag

What can I use to stop my daughter's dog from digging up my flowers? Please help, I'm at wit's end.

Carrie from Toronto, Ontario

Keeping Dogs out of Flowerbeds

Might sound a little mean, but a sprinkling of cayenne or crushed red pepper with a little garlic keeps all rodents out of your yard. It doesn't harm them, the slight burn and sent keeps them away. (04/06/2010)

By kimsukie

May 27, 2008 Flag

How do I keep my dog from digging in my flower bed?

Sandy from Bluff City, TN

Keeping Dogs out of Flowerbeds

The only really long term effective way to keep dogs or cats out of flower beds is to put a layer of lava rock on the flower bed surface. Animals will not walk on these sharp rocks. (05/15/2008)

By ibertie

Keeping Dogs out of Flowerbeds

I covered my flowerbed with large round stones, and the dogs still travel through but don't hurt anything anymore. The chicken wire works great, and you can cut it into squares that are easy to lay down and take up, like a foot square each. Dogs and cats both can't stand wires between their toes. (05/18/2008)

By kimhis

May 14, 2008 Flag

I am having trouble keeping my Dog out of my flowerbed. It's not that he's digging up the plants, he just moves them out his way to lay in the cool dirt. HELP!

Sonya Ivey

Keeping Dogs out of Flowerbeds

Hello Sonya,

Here's a great site for you.

Lots of tips on how to deter your dog from having a mud/dust bath in your bedding.

They recommend Pepper, Citrus and Mothballs!
Also you could try bark chippings or gravel in between your plants. Animals also dislike the smell of lavender so perhaps you could plant some of this in between.

Good luck, i hope this helps.
Monique x (05/20/2005)

By Monique63

Keeping Dogs out of Flowerbeds

A friend of mine just yesterday stated she had gone to Pet Smart and purchased some granules which are made for this purpose. You sprinkle them around the outside edges of the flower beds and it's supposed to keep the dogs away.

Trudy Powell
Independent Watkins Assoc. (i.e. vanilla, spices, extracts, salves, liniments, etc.) (05/21/2005)

By Trudy Powell

Keeping Dogs out of Flowerbeds

Can you provide a place in the shade that is just for your dog? If you give him his own place, and encourage him to go there with toys and lots of praise, he should be happy to leave your flowers alone. My dogs have had their own sandbox for years; once a year we put down a fresh bag of play sand and bury some old tennis balls for them to excavate. (05/21/2005)

By Sandra

Black spots on the bottom of tomatoes

I have planted tomatoes and now that the tomatoes are starting to grow on the vines, I have noticed that
the bottoms of the tomato have black spots on them. What could be causing this? (05/25/2005)

By LoLoNanny

Black spot on Tomatoes

Hi LoloNanny

Here's something:

Black Spot
Plant tomatoes by roses avoid wetting foliage on tomatoes when watering. Organic spray: 2-3 Tbsp. baking soda, 2-3 Tbsp. light oil, 1 gallon water. Apply as soon as fungus appears, then every 5-7 days while fungus is visible & persists

It does sound like a fungus.

By ThriftyFun

Keeping Dogs out of Flowerbeds

After trying everything- here's the best solution that I've found. Purchase chicken wire or hog wire (small holed wire) and place it wherever you do not want your dogs digging. If you've not planted the area yet, then lay the wire in large pieces and cut holes in the wire with wire cutters where you plan to plant. If it is an area that has already been planted, then place as large of pieces as will fit in between and around the plants. You may have to secure with stakes at first. I always put composted pine bark mulch on top of the wire so that it's not visible and it also helps my plants. This is the only method that has worked permanently for me. I purchase the wire at my local farmers co op. I've done this in all of my flower beds and other areas and it works great. It's a little more trouble than other methods but it truly works and will save you a lot of money in the long run. (09/13/2005)

By Sandybeaches

dog in flowerbed
Keeping Dogs Out of Flowerbeds
Pets Dogs Training AdviceApril 12, 2010
Bored Kid at a Restaurant
Keep Children Entertained When Eating Out
A large pumpkin harvest in fall.
Fall Gardening Tips
Keeping Animals Out of Your Garbage, Raccoon Scavenging Garbage
Keeping Animals Out of Your Garbage
A dog sitting in a garden.
Keeping Dogs Out of Your Garden