CatsPets

Cat Peeing In Same Spot

Are there any products or a spray that will keep cats from peeing in the same spot?

By Ricardo from Toronto, Ontario

I have had cats my entire life and the only thing I have found that works is a cleaner with enzymes in it. It somehow gets the smell out. The area has to be saturated with the cleaner all the way down to the padding in the carpet. Also, you might want to have your kitty checked to be sure there is no urinary tract infection.

I have a 12 yr old kitty who has had urinary tract infections/kidney and bladders tones all his life. I had to use puppy pads for a while with him. He potties in the wrong place when he hurts. Cats hide problems from owners and other cats so they don't appear vulnerable when sick. I keep a litter pan in the spot where he sometimes goes when he hurts. (My kitty is on daily pain meds and antibiotics for his infections). Good luck.

Be sure to rule out bladder infections. They are the #1 cause of this behavior. The enzyme soak is the best way to get rid of the stain/odor. When it has dried use a product called Comfort Zone with Feliway. It is a spray you can get at many pet shops or online. It needs to be used daily for awhile, but cats will not go where it is sprayed. They claim it works 95% of the time. It sure worked for me.

I have always been told if the cat doesn't go in their litter box they have a medical condition. Or if you have than one cat to have the same amount of litter boxes.

My cat began to do this, and my daughter saved the day. She read in a book that cats do this if they become touchy about their litter box. It had a hood, which I took off permanently, and began to scoop the box every single morning. She began using her box again and has not peed on the carpet in a few months.

I followed another tip here at thriftyfun to remove the stains, for nothing I'd tried had done it. I removed them by saturating with hydrogen peroxide, letting sit over night, blotting thoroughly with rags the next day, and then letting it dry for a couple of days. It worked! So happy. I was worried it might change the color of my carpet but it did not. You might want to check your own before trying.