Homemade Humidifier Treatments

It's good to keep the water in your humidifier smelling fresh. This guide contains homemade humidifier treatments.

Humidifier
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

What is the best way to clean a humidifier to keep down on build up in the tank and filters instead of buying that Holmes Humidifier cleaner from Walmart?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Is it harmful to add bleach to the water in your humidifier?

By Kim from Leominster, MA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

The Wal-mart in our area sells an additive to keep the water in a humidifier clean from mold and bacteria. It is fairly inexpensive. One bottle usually lasts awhile. I believe the manufacturer is Holmes. A humidifier should be disinfected every 4-6 weeks or when needed. I use a mix of bleach and water, rinsing thoroughly before using.

Read More Answers...

My humidifier uses wick filters and I'm replacing the filter every 2-3 weeks. I've tried various water treatment solutions, but they're expensive too. Can anyone please recommend solutions which don't involve spending a lot or which use common household ingredients and not a number of questionable chemicals? Our water is reasonably hard and fluoridated. Thanks kindly.

Rose Anne from Calgary, Alberta

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I use bleach and water to soak the filters about once every ten days. Make sure you use gloves, and don't squeeze the filters, just rinse them afterwards. It will have a slight bleach smell for a day, but it will give the filter about six months of lifespan. I've also heard citric acid is good for removing minerals, but have not tried it.

Read More Answers...

Will white vinegar neutralize the smell coming into the humidifier?

By Allen from Rochester, NY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You must make sure to clean the humidifier as bacteria can build on things as well as mold. Vinegar is a good water conditioner for this too.

Read More Answers...

A bottle of Holmes Humidifier Water Treatment was left in the house I just bought. I do not have a humidifier. Are there any other uses for this product?

Thank you,

Rose Mary from Jackson, MI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This product is designed to prevent mineral build-up in the humidifier.

So it might be useful for removing mineral deposits from shower heads, around sink and lavatory faucets, etc.

I'm not sure how strong it it - it might not work, but what have you got to lose?

Read More Answers...

I have an older room humidifer with the removable 2 gallon plastic tanks that I refill when empty. I need to know how to maintain the humidifer, keep it clean and get rid of lime build-up. I used to buy cleaner that I put directly into the tanks, but it was expensive and hard to find. I've heard vinegar, but I can't stand the smell! Thanks!

Alica from Missouri

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

White Vinegar is the only product I have found to clean out my humidifier of the lime in it. I do it once a week with success at an economical price ($1.47 gallon). The vinegar is less potient than the vinegar used when I cook pickles in the summer.

Read More Answers...
    Home and Garden Home Improvement MiscellaneousMarch 11, 2013
    Woman scratching her dry scalp.
    Homemade Dry Scalp Treatments
    A tea kettle on a stovetop.
    Homemade Humidifier
    Humidifier
    Humidify Your Home
    Beautiful drapes.
    Saving Money on Drapes, Blinds and Window Treatments
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 20, 2016 at 10:04:33 AM on 10.0.0.244 in 777 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.