Homemade Humidifier Treatments

Category Miscellaneous
It's good to keep the water in your humidifier smelling fresh. This guide contains homemade humidifier treatments.

A bottle of bleach.

Humidifiers can grow mold over time; using bleach to periodically clean them is common. However, adding bleach to the unit and allowing it to be dispensed is not recommended. This is a guide about using bleach in a humidifier.

A humidifier blowing steam.

Adding a bit of vinegar to your home humidifier can help freshen the air. This is a guide about adding vinegar to your humidifier.

What house hold items can be used in the water of my wickless humidifier?

from Consumer Reports:

Every day. Empty, rinse, and dry the base tray or reservoir before refilling.

Every week. Remove water scaling with vinegar and disinfect the unit with a bleach solution following the manufacturer's instructions.

Before storing. Clean to remove scaling, disinfect with a bleach solution, and dry thoroughly.

After storing. Before using again, clean to remove scaling, disinfect with a bleach solution, and dry thoroughly. Dont fill it before you need to.

What is the best way to clean a humidifier to keep down on build up in the tank and filters instead of buying that Holmes Humidifier cleaner from Walmart?

I only use vinegar to clean my humidifier. It breaks down the buildup and doesn't leave anything toxic behind.

Do you clean it with vinegar or do you run it with vinegar in it?

home remedies for keeping humidifier water free o f algae/mold

Check out this parent guide to the question you posted on. There are lots of answers there. It looks like vinegar is commonly recommended.

http://www.thri  5806742.tip.html

Do you use plain vinegar or cider? what household items do you add to the water so your not breathing vinegar. Also I read people use bleach, is that just to clean the filter or do you add that to the water also?

My humidifier uses wick filters and I'm replacing the filter every 2-3 weeks. I've tried various water treatment solutions, but they're expensive too. Can anyone please recommend solutions which don't involve spending a lot or which use common household ingredients and not a number of questionable chemicals? Our water is reasonably hard and fluoridated. Thanks kindly.

Rose Anne from Calgary, Alberta

I use bleach and water to soak the filters about once every ten days. Make sure you use gloves, and don't squeeze the filters, just rinse them afterwards. It will have a slight bleach smell for a day, but it will give the filter about six months of lifespan. I've also heard citric acid is good for removing minerals, but have not tried it.

Anonymous

Home Depot makes tablets to treat the water in humidifiers and it's less than $2.

ONLY use distilled or R/O filtered water which TDS tests to zero. And you'd be bette off if you would switch to an ultrasonic-type humidifier then you could clean weekly with bleach or vinegar. With ultrasonic type they require no filters.

It is the water scale that hardens the wick (filter) and inhibits water absorption and evaporation. Wick type evaporative humidifiers need two additives to the water: one to inhibit water scale buildup on the filter (wick), and a another to stop mold and bacteria buildup (Bacteriostat). Amazingly, both are rarely sold where they sell humidifiers. All carry Bacteriostat products in either liquid of pellet form. It's the water scale buildup liquid that is hard to find. There are several 2-in-1 products that do both. I'm using Vista Solutions Golden Solution II Combination available on Amazon. Also there is Holmes® SOL2014C-U 2 in 1 Water Solution. Sunbeam S1706 is a water scale treatment, but it's getting hard to find. I've been running two portable 1.5 Gal humidifiers in my home in the winter for 3 years now. 1 32oz bottle lasts me for 2 years or so.

NEVER COMBINE BLEACH AND VINEGAR! Toxic fumes can develop. It is hazardous to your health to inhale chlorine bleach.

A bottle of Holmes Humidifier Water Treatment was left in the house I just bought. I do not have a humidifier. Are there any other uses for this product?

Thank you,

Rose Mary from Jackson, MI

I don't know but why not donate it to Goodwill or a similar charity so someone who can use it, will!

This product is designed to prevent mineral build-up in the humidifier.

So it might be useful for removing mineral deposits from shower heads, around sink and lavatory faucets, etc.

I'm not sure how strong it it - it might not work, but what have you got to lose?

I have an older room humidifer with the removable 2 gallon plastic tanks that I refill when empty. I need to know how to maintain the humidifer, keep it clean and get rid of lime build-up. I used to buy cleaner that I put directly into the tanks, but it was expensive and hard to find. I've heard vinegar, but I can't stand the smell! Thanks!

Alica from Missouri

Nothing beats straight white vinegar for cleaning a humidifier tank. Fill with vinegar, soak overnight (don't run it), empty, then rinse. If you have a heavy buildup, you will have to wipe out the deposits after soaking. You only have to bear the smell occasionally, and it really works well.

White Vinegar is the only product I have found to clean out my humidifier of the lime in it. I do it once a week with success at an economical price ($1.47 gallon). The vinegar is less potient than the vinegar used when I cook pickles in the summer.

Are there any good home made humidifier treatments?

By Patty P.