Homemade Humidifier Treatments

It's good to keep the water in your humidifier smelling fresh. This guide contains homemade humidifier treatments.

March 24, 2016 Flag

What is the best way to clean a humidifier to keep down on build up in the tank and filters instead of buying that Holmes Humidifier cleaner from Walmart?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I only use vinegar to clean my humidifier. It breaks down the buildup and doesn't leave anything toxic behind.

Do you clean it with vinegar or do you run it with vinegar in it?

October 22, 2009 Flag

Is it harmful to add bleach to the water in your humidifier?

By Kim from Leominster, MA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I think so. What is it you are trying to accomplish?

If your problem is mold, either see how much you can clean with a soap and bleach solution and do it weekly, or find out of there is something else to do by finding the 800 consumer satisfaction number for the brand and talk to them.

Chlorine is poisonous to people and animals and very irritating to the breathing passages. Now how much bleach you meant I don't know but I wouldn't go blasting it into your room.

Bleach is an irritant. The fumes are unpleasant and can pose a health hazard. Undiluted, bleach is corrosive and will damage many surfaces such as skin and fabrics. So I would not do it.

Thanks ya'll, that answered my questions.

Don't run the humidifier with any bleach in it (it's VERY bad for your lungs to breath it!) but do clean your humidifier once a week with bleach-water (to kill mold spores)! Vinegar can also be used to clean it.

* If you'd like to add something to your humidifier, you can add one drop of tea-tree oil (only occasionally) or if you have a cold or flu you can add a drop or 2 of eucalyptus or mint oil or a teaspoon of the old fashioned Amber colored Listerine (it has eucalyptus and menthol in it), but don't use the blue mint or citrus Listerine because they have a sweetener added which can encourage mold growth.

VERY TOXIC!

It's harmful to breathe in bleach under any circumstance!

The Wal-mart in our area sells an additive to keep the water in a humidifier clean from mold and bacteria. It is fairly inexpensive. One bottle usually lasts awhile. I believe the manufacturer is Holmes. A humidifier should be disinfected every 4-6 weeks or when needed. I use a mix of bleach and water, rinsing thoroughly before using.

February 23, 2009 Flag

My humidifier uses wick filters and I'm replacing the filter every 2-3 weeks. I've tried various water treatment solutions, but they're expensive too. Can anyone please recommend solutions which don't involve spending a lot or which use common household ingredients and not a number of questionable chemicals? Our water is reasonably hard and fluoridated. Thanks kindly.

Rose Anne from Calgary, Alberta

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I would like to know the answer to this too. I bought a brand new humidifier and after 2 weeks, the filter is hard and will not put out any mist. We have hard well water also. I have bought so many filters that I am not willing to do it anymore

Don't know cause I haven't dealt with this but couldn't you put a water filter on your sink faucet and use that water in your humidifier?

First, see if you cant' make a filter out of the same thing the furnace uses. I used to make my own vacuum cleaner filters that way, but I'm not sure it it would work with moisture.

Most of the time I've found that cleaning the filters in a mild beach or vinegar water will clean them. I've elongated the life of my filters three-fold by doing this.

I use bleach and water to soak the filters about once every ten days. Make sure you use gloves, and don't squeeze the filters, just rinse them afterwards. It will have a slight bleach smell for a day, but it will give the filter about six months of lifespan. I've also heard citric acid is good for removing minerals, but have not tried it.

Home Depot makes tablets to treat the water in humidifiers and it's less than $2.

ONLY use distilled or R/O filtered water which TDS tests to zero. And you'd be bette off if you would switch to an ultrasonic-type humidifier then you could clean weekly with bleach or vinegar. With ultrasonic type they require no filters.

It is the water scale that hardens the wick (filter) and inhibits water absorption and evaporation. Wick type evaporative humidifiers need two additives to the water: one to inhibit water scale buildup on the filter (wick), and a another to stop mold and bacteria buildup (Bacteriostat). Amazingly, both are rarely sold where they sell humidifiers. All carry Bacteriostat products in either liquid of pellet form. It's the water scale buildup liquid that is hard to find. There are several 2-in-1 products that do both. I'm using Vista Solutions Golden Solution II Combination available on Amazon. Also there is Holmes® SOL2014C-U 2 in 1 Water Solution. Sunbeam S1706 is a water scale treatment, but it's getting hard to find. I've been running two portable 1.5 Gal humidifiers in my home in the winter for 3 years now. 1 32oz bottle lasts me for 2 years or so.

September 22, 2007 Flag

A bottle of Holmes Humidifier Water Treatment was left in the house I just bought. I do not have a humidifier. Are there any other uses for this product?

Thank you,

Rose Mary from Jackson, MI

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I don't know but why not donate it to Goodwill or a similar charity so someone who can use it, will!

This product is designed to prevent mineral build-up in the humidifier.

So it might be useful for removing mineral deposits from shower heads, around sink and lavatory faucets, etc.

I'm not sure how strong it it - it might not work, but what have you got to lose?

November 15, 2004 Flag

I have an older room humidifer with the removable 2 gallon plastic tanks that I refill when empty. I need to know how to maintain the humidifer, keep it clean and get rid of lime build-up. I used to buy cleaner that I put directly into the tanks, but it was expensive and hard to find. I've heard vinegar, but I can't stand the smell! Thanks!

Alica from Missouri

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Nothing beats straight white vinegar for cleaning a humidifier tank. Fill with vinegar, soak overnight (don't run it), empty, then rinse. If you have a heavy buildup, you will have to wipe out the deposits after soaking. You only have to bear the smell occasionally, and it really works well.

White Vinegar is the only product I have found to clean out my humidifier of the lime in it. I do it once a week with success at an economical price ($1.47 gallon). The vinegar is less potient than the vinegar used when I cook pickles in the summer.

November 24, 2011 Flag

Are there any good home made humidifier treatments?

By Patty P.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Home Improvement MiscellaneousMarch 11, 2013
Woman scratching her dry scalp.
Homemade Dry Scalp Treatments
A tea kettle on a stovetop.
Homemade Humidifier
Humidifier
Humidify Your Home
Beautiful drapes.
Saving Money on Drapes, Blinds and Window Treatments
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 8:46:47 AM on 10.0.1.21 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.