Homemade Humidifier Treatments

It's good to keep the water in your humidifier smelling fresh. This guide contains homemade humidifier treatments.

Humidifier
Filter Sort

Question: Using Bleach in a Humidifier

By kim 1 1

Is it harmful to add bleach to the water in your humidifier?

By Kim from Leominster, MA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By it's.only.me 168 254 Flag

The Wal-mart in our area sells an additive to keep the water in a humidifier clean from mold and bacteria. It is fairly inexpensive. One bottle usually lasts awhile. I believe the manufacturer is Holmes. A humidifier should be disinfected every 4-6 weeks or when needed. I use a mix of bleach and water, rinsing thoroughly before using.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Homemade Humidifier Water Treatments

By Rose Anne Hutchence 7 265

My humidifier uses wick filters and I'm replacing the filter every 2-3 weeks. I've tried various water treatment solutions, but they're expensive too. Can anyone please recommend solutions which don't involve spending a lot or which use common household ingredients and not a number of questionable chemicals? Our water is reasonably hard and fluoridated. Thanks kindly.

Rose Anne from Calgary, Alberta

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By JackC 1 Flag

I use bleach and water to soak the filters about once every ten days. Make sure you use gloves, and don't squeeze the filters, just rinse them afterwards. It will have a slight bleach smell for a day, but it will give the filter about six months of lifespan. I've also heard citric acid is good for removing minerals, but have not tried it.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Question About Using Vinegar In A Humidifier

By allen 1 1

Will white vinegar neutralize the smell coming into the humidifier?

By Allen from Rochester, NY

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Grandma J 54 1,040 Flag

You must make sure to clean the humidifier as bacteria can build on things as well as mold. Vinegar is a good water conditioner for this too.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Alternate Uses For Holmes Humidifier Water Treatment

By Rose Mary 2 2

A bottle of Holmes Humidifier Water Treatment was left in the house I just bought. I do not have a humidifier. Are there any other uses for this product?

Thank you,

Rose Mary from Jackson, MI

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

This product is designed to prevent mineral build-up in the humidifier.

So it might be useful for removing mineral deposits from shower heads, around sink and lavatory faucets, etc.

I'm not sure how strong it it - it might not work, but what have you got to lose?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Maintaining and Cleaning an Old Humidifier

By alica 7

I have an older room humidifer with the removable 2 gallon plastic tanks that I refill when empty. I need to know how to maintain the humidifer, keep it clean and get rid of lime build-up. I used to buy cleaner that I put directly into the tanks, but it was expensive and hard to find. I've heard vinegar, but I can't stand the smell! Thanks!

Alica from Missouri

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

White Vinegar is the only product I have found to clean out my humidifier of the lime in it. I do it once a week with success at an economical price ($1.47 gallon). The vinegar is less potient than the vinegar used when I cook pickles in the summer.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Can I Add Vinegar to my Humidifier?

By Don H. 1

I want to know if I can put vinegar in the water in my humidifier. Would it be harmful to breath it in? How about for the kids? We have a pink bacteria (probably Serratia marcesans) that shows up very quickly in the humidifier tank. I clean it once a week.

By DJH

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Homemade Humidifier Treatments

Are there any good home made humidifier treatments?

By Patty P.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Home and Garden Home Improvement MiscellaneousMarch 11, 2013
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Woman scratching her dry scalp.
Homemade Dry Scalp Treatments
A tea kettle on a stovetop.
Homemade Humidifier
Humidifier
Humidify Your Home
Beautiful drapes.
Saving Money on Drapes, Blinds and Window Treatments
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 11:03:03 AM on 10.0.0.57 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesQuestions
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings