My Frugal Life: Stretch Every Dollar

I'm an old lady now, but I guess my upbringing is what led me to always be inventive and saving. Dollar bills did not multiply without a lot of making do and doing without! My Frugal LifeI had two children and stayed off the job market until the youngest was in Junior High School. I figured raising my kids might not pay, but it was something I needed to do.

I did alterations and dressmaking at home, ran a summertime campers' needs shop and learned to make my house a homey 'home' at little cost. I taught myself to sew, to make drapes and other household things. One pair of drapes that began in our living room, with many windows, later had their 'turns' in other rooms (one as a round tablecloth and matching sofa pillow covers), as they all began to wear out. My mantra became "Everything doesn't HAVE to be perfect" as I learned to wallpaper and lay inexpensive vinyl and carpet tiles.

My saving habits are paying off in my old age. I have no desire to keep up with "the Jones'" and am writing and marketing columns concerning cooking, decorating and nostalgia for a bit of what our great grandmothers called pin money! Life as I've lived it has taught me that stretching dollars and being inventive is easily as much fun as tossing hard-earned money to the wind!

Janet from Conway, NH

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here:

Your essay is very interesting, and I would love to read more of the articles you are writing. Are they being published in a way that the general public population could have access to your articles?

I'd also love to read more of your articles. Where can we find them? You don't sound like such an old lady. You sound cool.

I am a saver, I want to know every way I can save, my husband loves the ideas I find. Some work some don't, but I keep trying. Can you please send me some of your ideas? My e-mail is lpme (at) I am so anxious to hear from you. Thanks ever so much. jamish

I am staring my jouney to an old lady (just turned 60 and on early retirement) I can use any tips to save money. I am in Canada but don't hold that against me! ha ha. E-mail regmartin AT

Piggy Bank Surrounded by Money
Adding Up the Savings of a Frugal Life
Better Living Frugal Living My Frugal LifeApril 17, 2007
A pregnant woman rubbing cream in her belly to prevent stretch marks.
Preventing Stretch Marks
A man holding a dollar.
Shopping at Dollar Stores
Dollar Weed
Getting Rid of Dollar Weed
new shoes
Homemade Liquid Shoe Stretch