Using the Slow Cooker in Hot Weather

It is 96 degrees and humid today, so I took out my trusty slow cooker this morning. Cooking in the slow cooker keeps my kitchen cooler, plus the whole meal can be cooked in one container. My slow cooker is great for less tender cuts of meat, which are less expensive to purchase.

My husband likes my "smothered swiss steak". I put a little olive oil in a skillet and brown the meat and onions to seal in the flavor. Next, I layer the round steak, cut into serving size pieces, into the slow cooker with the onion/ Next, I add any vegetables I have on hand, usually mini carrots and several potatoes which have been washed and quartered, Add salt and pepper to taste, a can of tomato soup mixed with a 14 oz can stewed tomatoes. Then cover and cook on high for an hour, then I turn the slow cooker down to low setting and let it continue to cook 8 hours. Serve with a salad and you have a great meal.

By Bobbie G from Rockwall, TX

this sounds really good. i was planning on making swiss steak tonight but it will be tomorrow now so i can do it your way. thanks for a different touch on this recipe

I take this one step futher. I have an outdoor table near my outdoor outlet, so I plug my slow cookier in outdoors on the table. Keeps that heat out of the house and the neighbors are always wondering what you are cooking

I also use my crock pot outside. We have a screened porch with a table near an outlet. I set my crock pot there and cook my meal. I can even do a bread and a dessert! (I have 5 crock pots)

Incidentally, through the years I have cut way back on browning the meat before putting it into the crock. We really aren't noticing a difference. One less step to do and you don't heat the house even that little bit. :o)

I have been using my crockpot slow cooker,in the summer,for about 3 years now.I make meatloaf,chicken,any thing you cook in the oven,you can fix in the crockpot.

I even found a recipe for crockpot "fried" chicken. Weezy1c

I use my crock pot during the hot summer months. Beef Stew, swiss steak, country style pork BBQ ribs, even chicken. I'm glad for the crock pot. :)

Roast and vegetables in crockpot.
Using A Slow Cooker (Crockpot)
Food and Recipes Recipes CrockpotJune 18, 2007
Pressure Cooker on White Background
Using A Pressure Cooker
Slow Cooker
Converting Recipes for a Slow Cooker
Black Forest Cake
Slow Cooker Black Forest Cake Recipes