Using Perfume For Scented Tealight Candles

We all have perfumes and colognes sitting around that we no longer wear. So instead of doing nothing with them; I CAREFULLY spray, or drop, a little into the bottom of a candle votive and insert an unscented tea-light candle (with the foil bottom). Be careful, as there is alcohol in the perfume or cologne that can be flammable (as are most scented oils). However, I have been doing this for years with no problem. No need to buy more expensive tealight candles that lose their scent after a few minutes!

By Patty from East Peoria, Illinois

Thanks for this hint. I'll try it. I have several bottles of perfume I can't wear anymore. Good thinking. GG Vi

Though tempting, this is not a good idea at all. Using Perfume that's meant for your body is NOT safe in candles and can potentially put off toxic fumes. There are special fragrance oils that are specifically made for scenting candles. You may even find what chandlers call a dupe, meaning a scent that is a duplicated scent of a perfume. Many of the popular perfumes have dupes and you can buy these fragrance oils from someone like me, a chandler (fancy word for candle maker), or from a chandler supplier.

Per the National Candle Association; "Various health and safety tests are conducted on the raw fragrance materials that are used in candles and other consumer products. Reputable candle manufacturers use only expertly-formulated fragrances specifically approved for candle use." I hope you enjoy finding your candle dupes and the wonderful fragrance oils available to everyone safely! :D

Lit Candle
Candle Tips and Tricks
Better Living Frugal Living TipsApril 11, 2011
Old Perfume Bottle
Uses for Old Perfume Bottles
Perfume Bottles
Shelf Life of Perfume
Perfume as Air Freshener
Using Perfume as Air Freshener
Spray bottle of perfume.
Repairing A Perfume Spray Nozzle