Candle Tips and Tricks

We all have perfumes and colognes sitting around that we no longer wear. So instead of doing nothing with them; I CAREFULLY spray, or drop, a little into the bottom of a candle votive and insert an unscented tea-light candle (with the foil bottom). Be careful, as there is alcohol in the perfume or cologne that can be flammable (as are most scented oils). However, I have been doing this for years with no problem. No need to buy more expensive tealight candles that lose their scent after a few minutes!

By Patty from East Peoria, Illinois

25 More Solutions

A tip for anyone who is an avid candle burner. An easy way to trim your wick before lighting your candle is to use nail clippers. I found they reach perfectly into jar candles, and makes them burn more evenly.

Take non stick cooking spray and spray the inside of the holder. After the candle is done burning, the last bit of wax will just fall out.

Eliminate the waste of any soy candle that may be stuck to the walls of a jar, burning all of it, not just 80%. Some candles do not do this and burn all the way down, but it has to do with the size of the wick.

We laughed at the "absurd directions" for a large jar candle (20 oz) we had just purchased: "burn candle for at least four hours". We experimented with several and this is what we we found.

When you light candles at holiday times, write down the number of candles lit and inform someone where the piece of paper is that has the candle information on it.

Instead of buying fancy plates to set my large candles on, I use inexpensive salad plates either from my house or yard sales.

To prevent wasting candles, simply "HUG" your candle each time before you blow it out. Cup both hands around the top of the candle and fold the softened wax toward the wick area.

How can I make a hole in a large candle and put a tea candle in to glow and save the large candle?

By Susan from Apsley Ontario, Canada

Answers

Best Answer

Take the tea light and put it in the center of the big candle. Trace it with something and cut that hole out. Drop the candle in and your good.

Answer this Question

I wish to use taper candles in a holder that has a center prong. How do I prevent the candle from breaking/cracking?

Answers

Best Answer

Warm the bottom ever so slightly and it will make all the difference. Hope that helps!!

Answer this Question

My husband insists the windows will get waxy smears on them that will be difficult to clean, if I burn candles. I love candles and would love to burn some this holiday season. Any suggestions?

By Judy D.

Answers

You should not have problems if you follow some simple steps:
a. Choose quality candles. They have been formulated (amount of wax, hardeners, scent/color) to burn as cleanly as possible.

b. Keep the wick trimmed. It shouldn't be so long as to cause the flame to really flicker and create any black smoke. You may have to do this periodically as they burn. Just use your scissors, then you can wipe the soot from them with a paper towel.

c. Don't overdo. You don't need 35 candles to create scent and ambiance.

Enjoy.

I also should have mentioned: do not burn candles in a room that you are not in. Be careful where you place them, you don't want a breeze to blow the flame into something else, nor blow something else into the flame. Keep them far from anything flammable. Do not burn jar candles to the very bottom of the jar. No real candles on the Christmas Tree.

If in doubt, there are battery operated candles that are quite nice--even some scented ones.

Hopefully others will post candle safety tips, too. There are far too many holidays ruined by house fires!

Yes, if you use soy -based candles or other better types, rather than the ones from the dollar store (alas!) there won't be soot! They soy-based candles are now available in major brands at drug and grocery stores.

They will and so will your lungs and everything else in your house. It is just like smoking a cigarette. Small decorations that use tiny bulbs will give you the same effect.

Look for beeswax candles but be aware real beeswax tapers and pillar candles are incredibly expensive. They are smokeless and pretty much dripless, though.

But the best, safest thing really would be to use battery operated candles. I'm using battery operated tea lights set inside recycled jars to sit on my windowsills; very pretty and look just like the real thing especially when standing on the outside looking in. So do the battery operated tapers, btw.

How many candles are you burning and how clean does your house have to be? I have never heard of anything like this. People burn candles all the time; there is no residue on windows that is difficult to remove!

A candle is not like cigarettes or a campfire, even if it is the cheapest little candle available. Candles do not set off smoke detectors, which should indicate to one and all how insignificant the amount of smoke that they emit is!

Where can I buy a taper candle stabilizer?

By Susan T.

Answers

They are available on Amazon... candle grippers... about 5 bucks.

Is it necessary to put some water in candle holder (glass like candle holders) before placing tea candles in them?

By Pavitra M

Answers

No. If you get the tea light candles that have the little metal tray around them, that will catch the wax. Now, if you want to fancy it up, pour in some water then just enough oil to cover the top and take the metal off the candle. Then, it will free float but make sure it's GLASS!

How can I make the candle width smaller so as to put the glass cover over it? Any suggestions other than shaving?

How many candles and what sizes should I put in my 18 square meter room, 6m long and 3m wide so that it will smell good? How long does the smell usually last? Thanks in advance.

By Ric. L

I make candles from margarita glasses sometimes and they get loose and fall out. What am I doing wrong?

By Annie

Melted wax from the very end of candles can be repurposed in many ways. Find ways to use your leftover candle wax or share your own ideas here.

Using Leftover Candle Wax

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 3
Load More
Home and GardenDecember 30, 2012
🐰
🍀
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Candle-Tips-and-Tricks.html