Browsing: Cleaning Burnt Pots and Pans

Baking Soda for Burnt Pots

Sprinkle powdered cleanser or baking soda liberally over the burned portion of the pot, then add only enough water to moisten the powder or soda well. Cover the pot with plastic wrap so that the moisture won't evaporate and let stand several hours or overnight.

You can sometimes lift the burned portion out of the pot with only a little scraping. If the pot is very badly burned, it may need 2 such treatments.

By joesgirl

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

I had burnt a pan cooking kashi. The entire bottom was soot covered and would not come off at all with ordinary rinsing. I poured bleach used for laundry whitening and kept it standing for several hours. It removed 95% of the soot very easily and I could see the shining surface of the pan bottom once again !

Put a used fabric softener dryer sheet in the pan filled with water.

Let sit overnight. It will soften and release burned gunk.

By Kim

I'm not trying to sound like a smarty (which is actually a first in my case ;) but isn't it dangerous to put bleach or the cleaner chemicals from dryer sheets onto a surface you place your food on? Wouldn't they transfer to whatever you cook in there next? You figure they would have to penetrate a pourous surface in order to release the burnt material and therefore would have permeated the remaining underlayers. Won't you get sick? I'm not sure but be careful just in case or ask a doctor to make sure your not inadvertantly damaging yourselves. Good luck and good health.

I have used the trick of putting dish washer detergent in the pot or pan with hot water and letting it sit in the sink overnight. If it's not too badly burned, this works. If it's very badly burned...a second time and some steel wool usually brings it back to almost new looking. Since you wash your dishes in this detergent, it is completely safe.

Place water in pot or pan that has the burned on food stuck to it. Use enough water to cover the food, bring to a rapid boil, scrape food off easily with a spatula. Job done.

By Daisy

Skip the vinegar! Try boiling dishwashing detergent with water. That worked wonders for me.

Rather than adding water to the baking soda, use white vinegar. It works much faster. It also polishes the pan.

There shouldn't be any concerns for "chemical" transfer to dishes, pots & pans etc., that are intact, without chips in them etc. Other than that - why worry about bleach or fabric softeners etc... your washing off the dishes anyhow aren't you? Its no different than putting them in a dishwasher, or a dishpan of soapy water. They are clean and ready for the next meal.

Burnt Pans
Cleaning Burnt Pots and Pans
Home and Garden Cleaning DishesJanuary 22, 2005
Burnt Food
Removing Burnt Food Smell from House
Burnt Cookie Sheet
Cleaning Burnt Cookie Sheets
Fixing Burnt Sausage
Fixing Burnt Sausage
Dirty Pots and Pans
Cleaning Pots and Pans
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 11, 2016 at 12:15:54 AM on 10.0.0.92 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.