Wallpaper Will Not Stick to Walls

When I decorated my son's bedroom, the wallpaper just falls of the walls. Can you help?

By Roger from UK

I wonder if you had sized the walls before you applied the wallpaper. You can buy wallpapersizing at your local hardware store or Sherwin Williams paint store.

Apply a coat of wallpaper sizing to the wall if necessary. The sizing helps you slide the paper into place when hanging it. If there is flat finish paint on the walls you are papering, sizing makes the wallpaper hanging easier. The sizing gives your walls a light gloss, which allows paper to slide into place. Apply the sizing to your walls using a paint roller just like paint. It is inexpensive and makes a better surface to hang wallpaper on. If your walls have just been primed, you can skip applying sizing to the walls. If you are not sure whether your walls need sizing or not, it is best to do it because it is quick and makes hanging wallpaper easier.

The question of sizing is interesting. I've papered for over 30 years and only used sizing on one project which caused the paper to fall off. It's a curious thing, works for one person but not for others! Good luck. :)

Another thought is this: I built my home several years ago and was told not to paper for one year. I did anyway, I wanted it to look nice for an open house. Many of the rooms that were papered had problems with the paper staying put at the seams. The moisture in the home after sitting in the elements for months and then the drywall compound etc. creates problems. I was advised to buy a dehumidifier to remove the moisture.

This may sound silly, but did the wallpaper have glue on it? I didn't know that there was plain paper anymore, but I did see it on a decorating show. If the paper was not pre-pasted, it wouldn't stick.

Also, do you mean that it falls right off the wall and rolls up on the floor, or do you mean it just peels off at the corners?

What was on the wall before you put up the wallpaper? Some wallpapers or hardboards have a slick waxy type coating that is "washable", but prevents wallpaper from sticking to it. Vinyl wallpapers are like this.

If the walls were particularly greasy, the wallpaper might not stick either, but I can't see how this would occur in a bedroom. I am thinking of in a kitchen, with cooking grease.

This may sound silly, but did the wallpaper have glue on it? I didn't know that there was plain paper anymore, but I did see it on a decorating show. If the paper was not pre-pasted, it wouldn't stick. Wallpaper will not stick to walls because after some time it fall.

Couple Wallpapering
Wallpaper Will Not Stick to Walls
Home and Garden Home Improvement WallpaperAugust 11, 2010
Blue and white retro wallpaper.
Cleaning Wallpaper
Frying Fish Sticks
Homemade Fish Stick Recipes
Removing Wallpaper That Has Been Painted, Gloved hand scraping off wallpaper.
Removing Wallpaper That Has Been Painted
Painting Over Wallpaper, Vintage Peeling Wallaper
Painting Over Wallpaper
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 28, 2017 at 2:11:32 AM on 10.0.1.132 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.