English Muffins

Wholemeal muffins, because you make it at home.

• 1 1/2 cups milk
  • 4 cups wholemeal flour (your choice) or bread flour
  • 1 tsp. caster sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
  • Ad
  • 1 Tbsp. melted butter
  • 1 1/2 tsp. instant yeast
  • rice flour or polenta (fine) for dusting
  • flat griddle or heavy base frying pan

Directions:

In a large bowl, sift all the dry ingredients, make a well in the center, add the milk and melted butter. With a blunt knife, start working the liquid into the flour. Hands in now and work the dough into a ball.

Put on to a floured surface and knead for 5-10 minutes, till you feel it becoming very elastic and smooth. (If its too dry to work, add more milk drop by drop. If too wet, add more flour.) Pop it back into the bowl and cover with cling-wrap and put it into a warm place for 20-30 minutes.

After the dough has rested, roll it out 1/2 inch thick, and have a cooky cutter or any 3 inch round cutter. I use an egg ring pressed into the dough to make the muffins just like shop ones.

Then dust each one with polenta or rice flour, put onto a floured tray, cover, and let the muffins rest in a warm place 20 minutes or until they have risen.

Heat the griddle or frying pan on medium heat, only slightly oiling the pan. Cook the muffins for 7 minutes each side, a few at a time. Serve warm. Makes 9.

Servings: 9
Time:40-50 Minutes Preparation Time
14 Minutes total Minutes Cooking Time

Source: Bread making book

By gail from Qld Australia

Thank you so much, I live in the UK and have been looking for a recipe for years, I am fed up with buying muffins and I can now make them with different flavours as well.

These sound delicious and I can't wait to try them. I have been wanting a good recipe for these. Thank you.

English Muffins
Homemade English Muffin Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts Breads MuffinsApril 25, 2011
Two English Bulldogs, one sitting one laying down.
English Bulldog Breed Information and Photos
English Muffin Pizza Recipes
English Muffin Pizza Recipes
English Ivy Leaf
Growing English Ivy
Recipe Using English Muffins
Recipes Using English Muffins
🎉
🎄