Recipes Using English Muffins

This is much like the McDonald's sandwich, but you don't have to go through the drive thru. Just fix it in your microwave with the help of the toaster in less than 5 minutes. Fast, healthy breakfast for the kids before they rush off to school.

• whole grain English muffin
  • one large egg
  • 1 slice of American or Velveeta cheese
  • 1 slice precooked Canadian bacon (optional)

Directions:

Use a small glass bowl with straight sides that is just a bit larger than the muffin. I use a ramekin. Slice the muffin and place it in the toaster. Don't turn it on quite yet. Grease the bowl with a little olive or canola oil. Break the egg into the bowl and whisk it as you would to scramble it. Add salt and pepper to taste, and pour it into the bowl.

Push the muffin down into the toaster and place the egg in the microwave and set the timer for 30 seconds. Meanwhile, unwrap the cheese slice, and fold each corner in toward the center. When the microwave stops, pop up the muffin if it has not popped up yet. Remove the egg from the bowl with a spoon and place on half the muffin.

If you are using the Canadian bacon place it on top of the egg, and top it off with the folded cheese slice. Place this back in the microwave for about 15 seconds to "soften" the cheese. If you melt the cheese if will make a messy sandwich. Remove from the microwave and place the other half of the muffin on top. Enjoy!

Servings: 1
Prep Time: about 4 minutes
Cooking Time: about a minute

Source: I like Egg McMuffins, and McDonald's is 5 miles away, so I just made my own version. Very healthy with the whole grain for fiber, the protein in the egg, and the calcium in the cheese slice.

By Harlean from Hot Springs, AR

8 More Solutions

Set oven control at broil and/or 550 degrees F. Cut English muffins into halves and spread cut sides with butter. Cut bacon slices in halves. Place muffin halves and bacon slices on rack in broiler pan.

Mix at least 2 hours ahead of time. Spread on English Muffins. Broil. Can be eaten whole or can also be cut into small pieces as an appetizer.

Anybody have a good recipe for something to do with stale English muffins (besides pizza)? I just found a whole un-opened bag that got shoved behind the cereal. They aren't bad, just dry. I was thinking maybe something like a bread pudding or strata-type casserole that my teenage boys would eat.

Thanks!

By Judy = Oklahoma from Tulsa, OK

Answers

Toast them and put them in the food processor and make bread crumbs. If you don't have a processor you can use a grater.

Make croutons with them.

Anna Olsen had a show where she used the stale english muffins and slices of ham in a dish, made a strata. you can improvise as I don't have the exact recipe.

They could also be used in breakfast casseroles with sausage, eggs and cheese that are easy and great tasting.

Answer this Question

I couldn't afford to buy pizza for my kids growing up as much as they would eat it so I would make them mini pizzas with their favorite toppings

Here is a favorite kid-friendly recipe that not only has my daughter always loved, but my siblings and I begged for as children as well!

Preheat oven to 300 degrees F. Brown onion and hamburger; drain grease. Add pizza sauce and cook until thick.

A great way to save money on ordering pizzas! We make pita pizzas, either whole wheat or white pitas work great.

Tonight, as I drove home from work, I called my kids, who agreed pizza (homemade) would be a good supper.

Food and Recipes Recipes SandwichesNovember 28, 2012
🍀
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Recipes-Using-English-Muffins.html